• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE refuse delay repay on images of their own e-Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianBR

Hi... was rather bemused to have a delay repay refused by TPE as an image of their own ticket purchased through their own TPE app wasn't sufficient.

IMG_6627 (1).PNG

"We are unable to consider process your claim at this time as the attachment
submitted with your claim does not provide all the information needed to
process a refund. To progress your claim, please upload a clear photograph
of the correct travel tickets for your journey (not a seat reservation), a
confirmation email, or a screen shot of your expense receipt if you had an
e-ticket"

Surely they could just scan the QR code and find the full details if they wanted to. The only thing they don't put on there is the fare for some reason.

Is this just a scam to help them refuse claims given then know lots of customers would have deleted the email confirmation. There's nothing in their email confirmations telling you that you must retain the email rather than your ticket if you ever want to claim.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
For a start it doesn't show the price, so it makes it impossible for them to know how much to pay you...

ianBR

Yes but my point is if the ticket was bought by them through their app they clearly do know the price - if their onboard staff can all scan a QR code surely their delay repay staff can invest in a scanner.

My point is most people won't realise TPE have chosen not to display the price, and they do not tell customers in advance they won't accept a ticket scan for delay repay despite their website asking people to send a ticket scan.

It's no wonder most people think delay repay is not worth the hassle and don't bother claiming. It's also unacceptable that train companies receive a fortune in unclaimed compensation from NR but don't make any effort to invest some of that making it easier for customers to claim.

_toommm_

Established Member
Yes but my point is if the ticket was bought by them through their app they clearly do know the price - if their onboard staff can all scan a QR code surely their delay repay staff can invest in a scanner.

My point is most people won't realise TPE have chosen not to display the price, and they do not tell customers in advance they won't accept a ticket scan for delay repay despite their website asking people to send a ticket scan.

It's no wonder most people think delay repay is not worth the hassle and don't bother claiming. It's also unacceptable that train companies receive a fortune in unclaimed compensation from NR but don't make any effort to invest some of that making it easier for customers to claim.

A ticket scan refers to a photo of the tickets, it's just an antiquated way of phrasing it.

thejuggler

Delay repay is a case of "my system my rules". Don't like it? You don't get your money!

Do TPE outsource this work? If so a third party probably isn't going to have access to TPE ticketing systems - they will base it on the info they need which will include how much the ticket was.

I've just done a compensation claim through Northern and it was a faff getting proof of purchases from 6 months ago, but they accepted what I sent.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Delay repay is a case of "my system my rules". Don't like it? You don't get your money!
Eh? There's a contractual entitlement to delay compensation! It's not a case of a discretionary payment in any sense.

Do TPE outsource this work? If so a third party probably isn't going to have access to TPE ticketing systems - they will base it on the info they need which will include how much the ticket was.
That's not the customer's problem. Whilst I agree that a screenshot as posted above is not great for making a claim, it does have a unique reference and it has a barcode that wouldn't take 2 minutes to scan, even if you just used any old website tool to do it!

_toommm_

Established Member
Eh? There's a contractual entitlement to delay compensation! It's not a case of a discretionary payment in any sense.

That's not the customer's problem. Whilst I agree that a screenshot as posted above is not great for making a claim, it does have a unique reference and it has a barcode that wouldn't take 2 minutes to scan, even if you just used any old website tool to do it!

It's TransPennine... even with the most straightforward point A to point B single and well known about disruption, they still deny all my claims the first time round.

It normally takes a lot of time on the phone to get them to pay out, then they do it via a cheque which takes even longer. That's if they can even spell my name correctly which has a whole 6 letters in it. Or if they can get my address right which they invariably can't.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
It's TransPennine... even with the most straightforward point A to point B single and well known about disruption, they still deny all my claims the first time round.

It normally takes a lot of time on the phone to get them to pay out, then they do it via a cheque which takes even longer. That's if they can even spell my name correctly which has a whole 6 letters in it. Or if they can get my address right which they invariably can't.
That is true. Nevertheless their denial of certain claims has no impact on the actual validity of a claim! And to be fair to them, whilst they are not particularly fast, they do accept their mistakes eventually in most cases (at least in my experience).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A minor detail is that it’s an “Aztec code”. That’s supposed to be a secure code that any old tool shouldnt be able to read.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
For a start it doesn't show the price, so it makes it impossible for them to know how much to pay you...
So maybe TPE should put the price on there then? What's that got to do with the OP?

_toommm_

Established Member
So maybe TPE should put the price on there then? What's that got to do with the OP?

Because the OP is trying to claim and for now the price isn't on there. Not saying it's the OPs fault obviously, merely advising shy TPE rejected it.

Jeez.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The OP provided an image of their ticket in the manner requested. TransPennine Express decided not to pay the claim, despite the fact that it had been submitted correctly.

The "reasons" for this are merely excuses. In my view the first opportunity to pay must always be used. If the company chooses not to pay at the first opportunity, then they could be perceived as attempting to breach their contract or effectively steal from customers.

In my view it should be the case that the company has to pay double if they've passed up their opportunity to pay, or £20, whichever is the greater...

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Is the price not shown on the screen displayed upon tapping the "i" button? Certainly is for GWR m-tickets that look very very similar to the image in the OP.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Is the price not shown on the screen displayed upon tapping the "i" button? Certainly is for GWR m-tickets that look very very similar to the image in the OP.
Looks like this is one of the new e-tickets, which has been distributed here as a PKPASS file? It's not an M-ticket, which must be activated before use.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Looks like this is one of the new e-tickets, which has been distributed here as a PKPASS file? It's not an M-ticket, which must be activated before use.

Can't speak about PKPASS files. All I know is it looks exactly like the m-tickets provided by GWR in their app, which do not need activation before use.
There is an "i" button in the bottom right (which you can see on the OP's image). If you press that on the GWR ones it shows the price somewhere in the screen that gets displayed.
I'd imagine the TPE ones are the same.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
The OP provided an image of their ticket in the manner requested. TransPennine Express decided not to pay the claim, despite the fact that it had been submitted correctly.

The "reasons" for this are merely excuses. In my view the first opportunity to pay must always be used. If the company chooses not to pay at the first opportunity, then they could be perceived as attempting to breach their contract or effectively steal from customers.

In my view it should be the case that the company has to pay double if they've passed up their opportunity to pay, or £20, whichever is the greater...
I think we all realise cows will fly before the DfT et al will approve a "Penalty Compensation" scheme!

thejuggler

There is a contractual entitlement, but your side of the deal is to provide the information they need to verify the amount and make that payment. Northern don't accept pdf files as image uploads. If that's all you have you can't make a valid claim on line. Their process, their rules.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
There is a contractual entitlement, but your side of the deal is to provide the information they need to verify the amount and make that payment. Northern don't accept pdf files as image uploads. If that's all you have you can't make a valid claim on line. Their process, their rules.
'Your' side of the deal is merely to pay the fare due, and to comply with the NRCoT. Much as the NRCoT don't give TOCs the right to reject delay compensation claims on the basis of "not crossing through/cutting ticket" (as some operators attempt to require), they don't give the TOC the right to reject a particular format of file.

Obviously, more practically speaking, whilst you could take the matter to Court if you wanted to provide a PDF but the operator's claim form didn't accept that, and whilst you might well be awarded the delay compensation you are claiming for, you might also find yourself the subject of an adverse costs order for wasting everyone's time!

In practice, there needs to be give and take from both sides, so providing an additional image would be sensible, and equally asking for a further image rather than incorrectly claiming that the claim is simply invalid, would both be sensible approaches.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Plenty of free readers online and in various app stores
I’m only going by previous discussions in the fares forum over a few years. A few people who had ‘read’ them with suitable readers said they were still encrypted.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I’m only going by previous discussions in the fares forum over a few years. A few people who had ‘read’ them with suitable readers said they were still encrypted.
If the reason they cannot be read is because delay compensation claims are outsourced, that is not a good enough argument! The outsourced company should be provided with the requisite tools to process e-ticket claims with just a barcode, really.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If the reason they cannot be read is because delay compensation claims are outsourced, that is not a good enough argument! The outsourced company should be provided with the requisite tools to process e-ticket claims with just a barcode, really.
Agree entirely.
I was only responding to the idea that anyone (ie the public) could read them with an appropriate app.

Status
Not open for further replies.