• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE route disruption, Wed 31/07/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
In addition to the weather related disruptions elsewhere, signalling problems between Leeds and Dewsbury have decimated the evening peak service heading West out of Leeds. Several cancellations and delays of almost an hour on a handful of services. The 1649 to Huddersfield was showing 40 late at Batley and increasing, I eventually gave up and walked back into town to get the bus to Dewsbury. The 1829 to Manchester Airport (ex-Middlesbrough) currently expected at 1853.

Does anyone "in the know" have any information as far as what caused the issue and how long before things get back to normal? I expect a lot of units in the wrong places tonight...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spartacus

Established Member
Lightning strike at Leeds West Jn blowing fuses and modules and damaging cabling. Still a work in progress on the cable.

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member
Do TPE sign the road between York and Huddersfield via Castleford throughout (avoiding Leeds altogether)?

unlevel42

The Hope Valley routes via Stockport and New Mills to Manchester
are currently closed because of the weather.
The A57 between closed Sheffield and Manchester is closed for planned all night resurfacing work at Moscar- Snake Pass is open

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
RTT shows a timing gap in some TPE eastbound trains between Thornhill and Leeds West, so presumably diverting via Normanton (c20 minutes longer).
Westbound seem to be operating on the normal route.
Turning short evident at both ends of TP routes, and at least one train running via Guide Bridge rather than Man Vic.

Adam0984

Do TPE sign the road between York and Huddersfield via Castleford throughout (avoiding Leeds altogether)?
I think there is a gap in knowledge between Altofts Jcn and Whitwood Jcn. They sign Huddersfield to Leeds Via Healey Mills and Leeds to York Via Castleford but not the missing side of the triangle.

AndyHudds

They were stacking up 185's at Leeds when I got there and then joined two together. Another 185 from the east came down platform 15, I assume that's bi-directional although I don't know where it disappeared to. They initially said they were going to go via Wakefield but then changed their mind and went the normal route, I assume they were guided through by radio on the signaless section, although it seemed to be going normal line speed after a wait outside Leeds.

Spartacus

Established Member
I think there is a gap in knowledge between Altofts Jcn and Whitwood Jcn. They sign Huddersfield to Leeds Via Healey Mills and Leeds to York Via Castleford but not the missing side of the triangle.

There are ECS' booked that way, 185s on and off Crofton as well as the Mk5s early this morning, but knowledge certainly won't be universal. I have known services run that way in the past when there's disruption though.

js1000

They were stacking up 185's at Leeds when I got there and then joined two together. Another 185 from the east came down platform 15, I assume that's bi-directional although I don't know where it disappeared to. They initially said they were going to go via Wakefield but then changed their mind and went the normal route, I assume they were guided through by radio on the signaless section, although it seemed to be going normal line speed after a wait outside Leeds.
On the way home I saw two coupled TPE 185s from Manchester Airport. The flooding must have forced them to cancel one service and couple them up to create some platform capacity at the Airport. It's sort of a one in, one out system with a 5mph speed limit due to the flooding.

tpjm

Triple whammy I'm afraid!

Flooding at Edale around 1530, blocking services on the south route. Customers advised to travel via Leeds.

Then at 1645 there was a lightning strike, causing a complete loss of signalling between Dewsbury and Leeds, so previous advice to the south route was recalled.

And to top it all off, Heald Green has flooded so services to MIA continue to be 'challenging'.

That's correct.

Killingworth

Established Member
Triple whammy I'm afraid!

Flooding at Edale around 1530, blocking services on the south route. Customers advised to travel via Leeds.

Then at 1645 there was a lightning strike, causing a complete loss of signalling between Dewsbury and Leeds, so previous advice to the south route was recalled.

And to top it all off, Heald Green has flooded so services to MIA continue to be 'challenging'.

That's correct.

Hope Valley route seemingly open again by about 17.30 but all sorts of delays knocking on across all services.

northernchris

Established Member
Not a great day for TPE, yesterday was awful too with 2 separate unit failures between Stalybridge and Leeds causing significant disruption including 3 consecutive Hull services being cancelled / terminated short

Cuboid

Yep - I was stuck on the 16:15 from Huddersfield to Leeds. Got past Cottingley station around 16:30 and then trundled to a stop where it stayed there till it moved slightly at around 17:15. Didn't get into P15 until around 17:40 so more than an hour late. We had 2 services stuck in front of us.

Guard seemed cheerful enough coping with it all. I think everyone just resigned themselves to the fact they were going to be late for wherever they were going.

He did mention the Delay Repay which sucks for me since the WYCA M-Card doesn't do them.

mike57

Established Member
Had the misfortune to be travelling back from Manchester yesterday evening. Caught the 18.32 from Man Vic to Seamer, 10 mins late leaving Man 40 mins late into Seamer. 3rd delay repay from TPE in 3 days.

There were 4 units stacked in platform 2 and the siding next to it when we came through York.

Why dont TPE have an emergency timetable which they bring in during disruption, some other operators have one which they publish. In TPEs case run hourly shuttles from York to Middlesbrough and Scarborough,, and Leeds Hull at the eastern end. Newcastle is less important as there are other operators. Then run a York Manchester shuttle terminating in Man Ox Rd., and run an hourly shuttle to Liverpool from Manchester Vic. That way passengers at the ends would still have some service as in most cases they suffer when the problems are usually in the Leeds Manchester areas

Status
Not open for further replies.