• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Scotland 185's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I am looking to travel from Lockerbie to Manchester using the direct transpennine service to the airport. I would like to know which are diagrammed as 3/6 coach class 185 DMU's and which ones are diagrammed as 4/8 coach class 350 EMU's. Does anyone know anything about this

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
I am looking to travel from Lockerbie to Manchester using the direct transpennine service to the airport. I would like to know which are diagrammed as 3/6 coach class 185 DMU's and which ones are diagrammed as 4/8 coach class 350 EMU's. Does anyone know anything about this

From Glasgow the 0906 from Central is usually a single 185 .
The 1309 is a class 350 4 car . Edinburgh services are likely to be 350 and 8 car .

Donachie

From Glasgow the 0906 from Central is usually a single 185 .
The 1309 is a class 350 4 car . Edinburgh services are likely to be 350 and 8 car .

Except during engineering work and a Friday Only Glasgow 185 diagram , all services are normally be 350's with 2x4 car sets on some Friday Edinburgh services.

Last edited:

Established Member
Yes, I got the 0906 from Central last month and it was an electric.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Why only on a Friday 8 cars Manchester to Edinburgh? Does the service not warrant it rest of the week? I often parallel run the 07:30 off the airport past Levenshulme and it's quiet at least as far as Picc.

Also, I often see the 14:00 off the airport at Picc as I finish at 2pm Fridays and it's never 8 cars (though if anything it needs to be and not the morning working)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Why only on a Friday 8 cars Manchester to Edinburgh? Does the service not warrant it rest of the week? I often parallel run the 07:30 off the airport past Levenshulme and it's quiet at least as far as Picc.

Also, I often see the 14:00 off the airport at Picc as I finish at 2pm Fridays and it's never 8 cars (though if anything it needs to be and not the morning working)

You have to see a bigger picture. Not that I can quite understand what you're trying to say, but it could be that the return working needs 8 Cars.

Chrism20

Established Member

Don't think I have ever been on the 1400 (in the last 18 months or so anyway) but the 1200 & 1600 have been 8 cars on the few occasions I have been on them and I've seen people stand all the way from Piccadilly to Carlisle.

I'm surprised the 1400 isn't an 8 as it should form the 1813 back to Manchester from Edinburgh - I've never been on that one but Virgins 1852 from Edinburgh is always a 10 car Voyager on a Friday and is usually very busy but as PHILIPE mentioned the bigger picture may dictate that the sets are better utilised on another diagram than that one.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Manchester-Scotland, particularly Edinburgh, has a weekend peak (Fri, Sun).
So TPE concentrates its 350s on these days to Edinburgh, and fills in with 185s taken from TP North routes.
There aren't enough 350s (10) to run more services without poaching stock from other services.
Virgin also try and concentrate seats on Edinburgh Fri/Sun from London/Birmingham.
Manchester Airport-Piccadilly is not representative of loadings you might see at Oxford Road/Wigan/Preston.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but What is 1S56 1200 Manchester Airport to Edinburgh booked for on Saturdays? Is it multiple units coupled together?

driver9000

Established Member
185s normally work some Glasgow services on weekends, during the week all Scottish services are 350s

The 12:00 Manchester Airport to Edinburgh is a single 350 on Saturdays but this weekend will be 185s as it's starting from Manchester Victoria.

robbeale

185s normally work some Glasgow services on weekends, during the week all Scottish services are 350s

The 12:00 Manchester Airport to Edinburgh is a single 350 on Saturdays but this weekend will be 185s as it's starting from Manchester Victoria.
I thought there's always a 185 on the 0500 (and return from Glc) from Manchester on a Friday?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.