• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jake1889

My sister has just had a invite to a assessment day today. I’ve still not heard anything as yet.
She said it mentioned they was looking for more females at the application stage. I told her about the vacancies and she’s beat me to a assessment :)

Trying to figure out how they are doing this. Im assuming they just go through a bunch of applications and once they have enough for that assesment day then you have to wait for the next? Almost starting to feel like pot luck whether you get an invite or not. or could it possibly be done alphabetically? daft sugesstions i know! XD

Well this guys sister has been invited for the York depot, and if i'm reading this right the fact she is female has played a critical part in her being chosen? I'm sure she has great test scores too, take nothing away, but if gender of the applicant is a genuine factor in the recruitment process, a factor which gives you a competitive edge, then there was literally nothing I could have done about it! Good luck to her I wish you the best, but if gender of the applicant is being factored into the selection process I don't have much hope of a future invite.

Comfy

Well this guys sister has been invited for the York depot, and if i'm reading this right the fact she is female has played a critical part in her being chosen? I'm sure she has great test scores too, take nothing away, but if gender of the applicant is a genuine factor in the recruitment process, a factor which gives you a competitive edge, then there was literally nothing I could have done about it! Good luck to her I wish you the best, but if gender of the applicant is being factored into the selection process I don't have much hope of a future invite.
You have as much chance as anyone else. Its not like they will only be hiring women.

irish_rail

Established Member
You have as much chance as anyone else. Its not like they will only be hiring women.
Yes but the poster pointed out he had been told they were actively seeking more female candidates. You can't blame folk being put off applying when they are the wrong gender in the first place. It's amazing how the whole discrimination in the work place has gone so far the other way nowadays....

Nh2014

What a mug, scores are blind tested, the best will go through, end of

Comfy

Wouldnt put me off. My local fire brigade were actively encouraging women to join. Out of 17 who got jobs 2 were women. I dare say the numbers in the rail industry are probably going to be similar as well. I will bet my house there will be more men than women get these jobs so how does that equate to having no hope if you are male?

Jake1889

What a mug, scores are blind tested, the best will go through, end of

Like I said - I'm sure she has great test scores too, take nothing away, but if gender of the applicant is a genuine factor in the recruitment process, a factor which gives you a competitive edge, then there was literally nothing I could have done about it! Good luck to her I wish you the best.

I'm not being salty, she obviously has good test scores, but someone has pointed out that the recruitment has a preference for female candidates, which if true is another hurdle for others to overcome.

Nh2014

Like I said - I'm sure she has great test scores too, take nothing away, but if gender of the applicant is a genuine factor in the recruitment process, a factor which gives you a competitive edge, then there was literally nothing I could have done about it! Good luck to her I wish you the best.

I'm not being salty, she obviously has good test scores, but someone has pointed out that the recruitment has a preference for female candidates, which if true is another hurdle for others to overcome.
No, the recruitment process has strived to encourage female aplicants to apply for the role, this does not mean that females are at an advantage or disadvantage, but simplifies that females are under represented in the train drivers role

Jake1889

No, the recruitment process has strived to encourage female aplicants to apply for the role, this does not mean that females are at an advantage or disadvantage, but simplifies that females are under represented in the train drivers role

If a male is placed against an equally capable female for a train driver role, where one of the purposes of the recruitment drive is to address the diversity imbalance in the workforce as women are under represented, as suggested, then the FEMALE has a DISTINCT advantage over the male you idiot. I highly doubt TPE are doing this, but if they or another TOC did this it would represent an even greater challenge to me, a male, securing the role.

Comfy

I think your attitude rather than gender will be what holds you back.

If a male is placed against an equally capable female for a train driver role, where one of the purposes of the recruitment drive is to address the diversity imbalance in the workforce as women are under represented, as suggested, then the FEMALE has a DISTINCT advantage over the male you idiot. I highly doubt TPE are doing this, but if they or another TOC did this it would represent an even greater challenge to me, a male, securing the role.

I would expect, unfortunately for you the male, that TPE are doing this. I also expect that TPE HR will monitor threads like this. Good username by the way.

Ok, so with the sexism out to rest as it needs to be...

Has anyone heard about assessment days or anything for Cleethorpes? I put that down as my number 1 pick, but I'm not fussed about where I'm stationed. I just want to be a driver. Anyone heard about poss start dates or training dates (sorry if it's all been said before). Thanks very much!

Coopes1710

Ok, so with the sexism out to rest as it needs to be...

Has anyone heard about assessment days or anything for Cleethorpes? I put that down as my number 1 pick, but I'm not fussed about where I'm stationed. I just want to be a driver. Anyone heard about poss start dates or training dates (sorry if it's all been said before). Thanks very much!

I put Cleethorpes down along with Hull and Sheffield and I haven’t heard anything as yet.

fabs

I would expect, unfortunately for you the male, that TPE are doing this. I also expect that TPE HR will monitor threads like this. Good username by the way.

TPE are not recruiting in a discriminatory way (either positive or negative). The first notion the company gets of the sex or appearance of a candidate is when they pitch up with OPC.
HR do not decide who gets a job they are not the hiring managers.
Although if you’re name happens to be Jake and you’ve applied for York I guess it might be slightly more difficult for you thanks to the guy above.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Just reading some of these recent threads and I thought I'd wish everyone the best of luck their their forthcoming assessments for TPE.

C J

Rover77

Has anyone who has not been invited to assessment yet heard anything? Is everyone still at "submitted" stage?

Mike121

Good luck to you guys going for the tests. Maybe you’ll be joining me soon :)

beeman05

Hi guys, been offered an assessment day, only thing is it’s in Leeds and I’m in Glasgow, has anyone been offered assessments elsewhere, I’ve emailed to ask if anything closer will be coming up before I commit to travelling to Leeds for a day.

I applied back on 22nd November before the closing day and 6 days ago received an email to attend Leeds for the next phase.

I am applying for Glasgow too but I assume the next process is Leeds to be in a central location.

Good luck :)

Coopes1710

TPE are not recruiting in a discriminatory way (either positive or negative). The first notion the company gets of the sex or appearance of a candidate is when they pitch up with OPC.
HR do not decide who gets a job they are not the hiring managers.
Although if you’re name happens to be Jake and you’ve applied for York I guess it might be slightly more difficult for you thanks to the guy above.

It seems normal for large organisations now a days to openly say they are looking to actively recruit people from groups that they are under represented. This isn’t a negative comment by the way.
It openly says it in vacancy adverts. Everyone still has to pass the tests so good luck to everyone

Attachments

• 027FDBC1-39BD-4B2A-8B06-3B9819710815.jpeg
    027FDBC1-39BD-4B2A-8B06-3B9819710815.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 16

davye

Just got an email saying unsuccessful after the assessment day in Leeds last month. Just off the phone to OPC, I passed them all, but group bourdon was only to National standard but TPE are after enhanced. Taking a plus from it that if any other local TOCs nearby are looking I’ve already passed the first few tests. Good luck to everyone else with TPE

beeman05

Just got an email saying unsuccessful after the assessment day in Leeds last month. Just off the phone to OPC, I passed them all, but group bourdon was only to National standard but TPE are after enhanced. Taking a plus from it that if any other local TOCs nearby are looking I’ve already passed the first few tests. Good luck to everyone else with TPE

Sorry to hear that Dave unlucky. Good you can walk away knowing you did well overall and it would get you past the initial stages with another TOC.

Do you mind if I DM you as I have my assessment centre in Leeds next week and wondered if you have any advice you can pass on?

davye

Sorry to hear that Dave unlucky. Good you can walk away knowing you did well overall and it would get you past the initial stages with another TOC.

Do you mind if I DM you as I have my assessment centre in Leeds next week and wondered if you have any advice you can pass on?

Of course mate

Status
Not open for further replies.