• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreacleMiller

I wouldn't say so - we applied in December, some have started, others like myself have gone through the two assessment centres and are waiting on interview. It's been a multitude of reasons, certainly not helped by the coronavirus pandemic which has put training on hold as far as I know. We got an email a few weeks ago updating us before the new batch of openings were posted, telling us the process was still ongoing, and offering us first dibs at the new jobs if we wanted to transfer.

My bet is it's simply down to the reduced staffing, working from home, closure of the training school, inability to train drivers in the cab, and having to prepare for virtual interviews that's caused the delay. Hopefully we'll get going again soon... As I still really want that job!

Thanks that's really good information.

Is it the MMI or the DMI you're waiting for?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

danners430

We had the MMI as part of the stage 2 assessment centre. Ironically, I still don't know for 100% whether I passed it, as I never got any official confirmation... The simply fact that I'm still in the process is telling me I must've passed.

No, it's the DMI I'm waiting for, for the Glasgow depot. I may be impatient privately, but at the end of the day I'd rather be patient and let things run their course. Railway recruitment is never rushed or rapid.

Manda2194

Anyone correct me if I’m wrong but reading this thread it seems like only people in York in Manchester have got to the DMI and got offered positions. Is that correct?

I’m assuming Different depots move at different paces to meet the demand for drivers

CreamNCookies

We had the MMI as part of the stage 2 assessment centre. Ironically, I still don't know for 100% whether I passed it, as I never got any official confirmation... The simply fact that I'm still in the process is telling me I must've passed.

No, it's the DMI I'm waiting for, for the Glasgow depot. I may be impatient privately, but at the end of the day I'd rather be patient and let things run their course. Railway recruitment is never rushed or rapid.

I never got an official email saying I had passed my MMI per se, but I did email the careers email address and a person from HR told me I had passed and was just waiting on a DMI to be scheduled.

For peace of mind, i'd email them to for clarification to settle your nerves a bit. Or you could drop OPC an email to ask if you passed (even though they did say TPE would tell us).

Although i'm sure if you hadn't passed you would of found out by now and not given the email telling you about everything on hold.

Line speed

Evening Comrades,

Sorry to disrupt the flow of the thread with a question. Would I be right in assuming that as I applied for the last trainee driver post from Liverpool and got to the stage of submitting the two initial assessments, I'll be waiting for a long old time for any kind of update at all with the world upside down at the moment?

CreamNCookies

Evening Comrades,

Sorry to disrupt the flow of the thread with a question. Would I be right in assuming that as I applied for the last trainee driver post from Liverpool and got to the stage of submitting the two initial assessments, I'll be waiting for a long old time for any kind of update at all with the world upside down at the moment?

Who knows? The fact they released the job advert during these uncertain times could show that there is a need for drivers around that part of the world and would like to get them trained asap. Keep an eye on your inbox and check your junk folders regularly.

Line speed

Who knows? The fact they released the job advert during these uncertain times could show that there is a need for drivers around that part of the world and would like to get them trained asap. Keep an eye on your inbox and check your junk folders regularly.
That's the plan I think. let it all play out, hope I get through the paper sift and then begins the hard graft preparing for the interview processes.

CreamNCookies

If you have nothing to do at the moment during lock down, take the time to do some prep now. It'll keep you occupied. That's been my go to for the last few months, a bit of revision here and there

Line speed

If you have nothing to do at the moment during lock down, take the time to do some prep now. It'll keep you occupied. That's been my go to for the last few months, a bit of revision here and there
Yeah, good idea, thanks! I was going to download the Bourdon Test file pinned but I'm on a MacBook so it might be a matter of whacking on the printer, as well as some deep digging on the company.

Moose27

Anyone correct me if I’m wrong but reading this thread it seems like only people in York in Manchester have got to the DMI and got offered positions. Is that correct?

I’m assuming Different depots move at different paces to meet the demand for drivers

no, trainees from Newcastle, Preston, Liverpool and Glasgow have also started

Yabba

Anyone watch the channel 5 show on TPE tonight? A new series following them
No. Can't face it.

I'm in a right position at the moment. I applied for the Manchester job last year (November I think it was) when I went for my DMI in Feb I told the two people who work in my office (They're not managers) Since then, I seem to have spurred them on because both of them have left work and started new jobs elsewhere leaving me on my own, well, on my own when working from home finishes.

I've started actively searching for new jobs now anyway. Avanti are looking for a driver trainer so I can only imagine they are due another recruitment drive. Seems to be based in Crewe from what I can gather.

kitch31

im waiting on the next recruitment now for tpe i failed my DMI :( sad times and my feedback was a bit underwhelming too which was disappointing.

BoroAndy

no, trainees from Newcastle, Preston, Liverpool and Glasgow have also started
Looking at references to various depots, seems to be no comments on anyone who has got through assessments or got onto training for the east coast depots, i.e. Cleethorpes, Hull and Scarborough ??

TeaTrain

Has anyone who was given a position and put on the trainee wage heard anything new? I still haven't even spoke to my line manager in all these months!

CreamNCookies

With things slowly starting to ease in England (for now at least), i'm just wondering if anyone here has heard anything regarding DMIs.

I'm about to drop a little email shortly, but thought i'd ask the forum if they have had any comms in the last week or so.

dan4291

No not heard anything from TPE for a good while now. I know East Coast Trains are progressing with their recruitment so hopefully TPE's process will start up again soon.

Trainrave

Hypothetical I know, but if the worst happened and First Group did go bust, what happens to recruitment and also trainees within the system?
I am aware that rail employees are still required, but is it likely that there would be job losses?

Stigy

Established Member
Hypothetical I know, but if the worst happened and First Group did go bust, what happens to recruitment and also trainees within the system?
I am aware that rail employees are still required, but is it likely that there would be job losses?
There’s still a requirement for a set establishment for operational staff, so likely nothing will change “on the ground” so to speak. Future recruitment may change, but who knows?

Fokx

No not heard anything from TPE for a good while now. I know East Coast Trains are progressing with their recruitment so hopefully TPE's process will start up again soon.

It will progress shortly but I will say expect long delays.

Drivers who started February/March have still not gone back to training and they will be the current priority when it comes to classroom training and instructors. One to one training is still not permitted but there is movement towards the use of regular Covid-19 testing kits which have been ordered by the company for the exclusive use of trainees and trainers.

TeaTrain

Hi there I have a little update having spoken to my Driver manager today. The people who were in Feb have started some training again now and those of us still waiting with a contract but no start date will be waiting a while more. She explained that there is still no date insight as they have to work out how to proceed.

@Fokx is also correct that there is a backlog and it will take some time. I was also reassured that my job is safe, even if things changed with the TOC etc. They will continue to pay training wage until we begin work.

Yabba

One thing I have learned from working at home is that I really hate the job i'm in. I've started the process of applying for other jobs in other sectors. I'd rather have the conundrum of starting a new job and possibly getting a yes than hanging on for this job and getting a no.

I feel sorry for the people who were taken on and then unable to go in to training. 5 months stuck at home with little to do. I'm not sure I could have coped.

TeaTrain

Unfortunately this is the railway recruitment. I am one of those 'stuck' at home but there is certainly plenty to do. If you really had nothing to do at home then your not really using the best of your time in my opinion.

No need to feel sorry for me. I got to watch my son being born then get paid for months to watch him grow, build a bond and help my partner recover, search to purchase land and build our family home. Design that home too being a trained draughtsman. I think again, it's how you use your time.

Even if I have to wait I passed. I got the job and I will be training for a great company where I walk down the road for 2 minutes to start work.

I do understand your predicament though and I hope you figure out what's best for you. Good luck!

CreamNCookies

Unfortunately this is the railway recruitment. I am one of those 'stuck' at home but there is certainly plenty to do. If you really had nothing to do at home then your not really using the best of your time in my opinion.

No need to feel sorry for me. I got to watch my son being born then get paid for months to watch him grow, build a bond and help my partner recover, search to purchase land and build our family home. Design that home too being a trained draughtsman. I think again, it's how you use your time.

Even if I have to wait I passed. I got the job and I will be training for a great company where I walk down the road for 2 minutes to start work.

I do understand your predicament though and I hope you figure out what's best for you. Good luck!

What I would of given to be there with my partner during the early days of my childs life. You've found a blessing through all of this show of a pandemic. Good on you mate :)

TeaTrain

@CreamNCookies Thank you mate. I know it's harsh to some talking about the positive sides of what has happened. For something positive for me to happen something bad has happened to someone else.

I am very grateful and fortunate to be in the position I am. Honestly with a large dose of luck all things considered! I hope you hear back soon we were on the same assessment day! The wait will all be worth it for you soon I am sure!

driver9000

Established Member

You landed that nicely. Juggling newborns and the shift work of train driving wasn't easy. It'll all come together in the end and you'll be out driving whatever type you'll be learning before you know it.

TeaTrain

Thanks @driver9000! That's why I mentioned a heap load of luck! I actually was due to start on the 30th of March but my partner was put into hospital early. They were very accommodating and moved my start date one week. But the Friday before starting was told to stay home. So yes lots and lots of luck.

I am ok with the shift patterns as was a guard in HHD and was 24hrs pretty much. But with a baby?? It will be interesting for sure lol. I live right next to Pic so it's a mere crossing of the road.

In my interview we were talking about my son being born and I mentioned that I have prepared for as much as I can. The driver managers simply smiled and said if there is one thing we can tell you as parents is you can't prepare... How right they were lol.

Yabba

If anything this pandemic has come at the best time for you. I could never begrudge someone making the best of a bad situation. These situations are what you make of them I suppose. I hope you get to the classroom soon though, I just hope you can manage to get enough sleep :)

I've applied for the TfW trainee job as well now. Hopefully having passed the necessary tests at an enhanced standard should stand me in good stead.

TeaTrain

@Yabba It will definitely help take the pressure off now that you have passed to enhanced standard!! Mine expired and had to re-sit them all for TPE. It was very nerve wracking! A few years older so wasn't sure if I still had it in me!

Sleep was certainly a luxury at the beginning but my son sleeps from around 9pm until 11am every day now so once again....its luck! Of course when I am on days its great but not when I need to sleep during the day it won't!

I really hope those in limbo waiting for DMI results etc are told something soon. It has been quite some time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.