• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shearer9

Not been any updates for a while.

I recieved an e mail from TPE yesterday, basically saying that they are unable to provide any further details at this stage but will be back in touch as soon as they can confirm anything. Looks like it will be a long wait!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CreamNCookies

Had the same too.

I'd rather that email than one saying they are withdrawing the position. So silver lining in there somewhere.

TeaTrain

Agreed @CreamNCookies it's not a no. I had a word with my manager and she said there is no start date for the new ones either in sight. It's going to be a long while more I reckon.

CreamNCookies

We just have to wait. People who have gone through the testing stages means TPE have invested a fair bit in us so far.

It makes no sense to get rid of us when they can put us in a wait list of some sort.

TeaTrain

Yes. They have be paying me a wage for months now so I am pretty sure that the job is secured as well. Plus the reassurance was there from managers. I think they will still need a considerable amount of new staff.

TreacleMiller

Does raise the question why they bothered inviting applicants in May if they hadn't started training last year's cohort yet.

Might also explain their current scramble for drivers that are already qualified.

danners430

Does raise the question why they bothered inviting applicants in May if they hadn't started training last year's cohort yet.

Might also explain their current scramble for drivers that are already qualified.
Mainly because brand new applicants will need to go through all the assessment centres again - and if you think back, that took us all between 4-6 months to do... So they're planning ahead

TheVicLine

There are assessments being held for the latest applicants at the end of this month. I've not read all the other posts in this thread, but hopefully that sheds some light on where they are at.

TreacleMiller

For those that have gone through the process, how many lines were you doing per block on Bourdon?

I've only been practicing two days, so curious to see what the standard for an enhanced is with TPE.

danners430

For those that have gone through the process, how many lines were you doing per block on Bourdon?

I've only been practicing two days, so curious to see what the standard for an enhanced is with TPE.
If I remember right, I think I did about 5-6 lines, but I may be completely off

TeaTrain

I would say judging from the conversations on these very forums it tends to be about 2/3 of the way with little to no mistakes. My method was to print them off from the tool stuck on the forum and then practice 2 mins each. As I sweep through the dots I call them out in my head. 5 5 5 3 4 if I tell myself a 4 I mark it. This method personally worked for me and ensured I made little to no mistakes.

I know on both occasions I did it for Virgin and TPE I did about 2/3's of the way to achieve enhanced.

Obviously no one actually knows the pass score needed. So take it with a grain of salt.

Trainrave

I recently passed the test with TPE and reckon I completed at least 3/4 of the sheets.
Interestingly though, I practiced using (free) computer software rather than pen and paper, despite the test being conducted on the latter.

I practiced to death and when it came to the test, it felt completely natural and I was totally focussed.

Hope that helps.

danners430

I recently passed the test with TPE and reckon I completed at least 3/4 of the sheets.
Interestingly though, I practiced using (free) computer software rather than pen and paper, despite the test being conducted on the latter.

I practiced to death and when it came to the test, it felt completely natural and I was totally focussed.

Hope that helps.
I have to agree with the above. I personally did it on paper, as I sat my part 1 assessment centre with another company prior to applying to TPE, and they sent me paper material to practice on. Just printed it out about 10 times and sat there at night practicing...

Trainrave

I have to agree with the above. I personally did it on paper, as I sat my part 1 assessment centre with another company prior to applying to TPE, and they sent me paper material to practice on. Just printed it out about 10 times and sat there at night practicing...

I would also add that there is no harm in practicing the same sheets over and over. It’s all about getting into the rhythm and format of the test.

I’m sure there will be people who disagree, but I also used the training materials from “how2become”.
I’m sure Richard McMunn isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but I found the materials to be as helpful as any.
He bangs the drum of thorough preparation being the key to success and I really feel as though he isn’t wrong.

Cheers.

TeaTrain

Even if your not a fan of the how2become series the information and guidance on preparation is definitely true.

TreacleMiller

Thanks all

Currently getting 10-11 lines down. Not made an error but I usually have 1 omission per block.

Practice material I have is 15 lines deep..

TrainTracks

Thanks all

Currently getting 10-11 lines down. Not made an error but I usually have 1 omission per block.

Practice material I have is 15 lines deep..
Hi TreacleMiller,

Do you mind me asking what practice papers you are using? The ones I have are 15 deep too but only recommend 30 seconds to do it.

Thanks
TT

TeaTrain

30 seconds? You get 2 minutes per block. Also as voiced here they do indeed look for a combination of speed and accuracy. TPE put the highest scoring through to the next stage though. Passing to enhanced might not necessarily be enough to be invited to the next stage first. This is what has been explained to me after being successful.

TrainTracks

Hi TeaTrain,

i guess my practice paper blocks must be smaller hence the reduced time, or trying to put more pressure on. Leads me on to the next question; where do you get the best (most accurate) practice test from?

thanks

TeaTrain

Right here in the forums. Click on the railway and career s section and you'll find some stickied posts. One if for some software which is for SCAAT and Group Bourdon. It is what I and many others have used.

TrainTracks

Right here in the forums. Click on the railway and career s section and you'll find some stickied posts. One if for some software which is for SCAAT and Group Bourdon. It is what I and many others have used.

Thanks TeaTrain. I did try those on a Mac but had no joy. I’ll dig out my old windows laptop and try that Instead.

TrainTracks

Don’t do it on the laptop, print them off!
Thanks D Rivers. Will do. I can’t even access them on a Mac though so have to get the laptop out even to download them!
On another note I’ve been struggling on the memory practice tests. Anyone got any methods or tips on how to practice for this?

Trainrave

Thanks D Rivers. Will do. I can’t even access them on a Mac though so have to get the laptop out even to download them!
On another note I’ve been struggling on the memory practice tests. Anyone got any methods or tips on how to practice for this?

Each to their own I suppose, but I did it on my laptop and passed.
I used my MacBook and used “wine” software to open the windows only files. It was pretty easy to do.

TeaTrain

You definitely can just do it straight on your laptop for convenience too. I know I did as I didn't want to print endless sheets of paper. Nearer the time I started to practice as though in a test environment. I think I was at an advantage having done them all previously I knew what to expect and how to pass each test.

I would advise printing some sheets out to practice to familiarise yourself with the set up on the day.

The memory tests are there to see you can retain large amounts of information quickly and accurately. The glop test is manageable. As you read the information note down important pieces of info to embed it in your mind. To practice you can play simple games like pairs or complete online tests etc to increase your crystallised memory.

Glop was the one that made me most uncomfortable in the paper tests but you will be fine. It's not a large amount of information really.

TrainTracks

You definitely can just do it straight on your laptop for convenience too. I know I did as I didn't want to print endless sheets of paper. Nearer the time I started to practice as though in a test environment. I think I was at an advantage having done them all previously I knew what to expect and how to pass each test.

I would advise printing some sheets out to practice to familiarise yourself with the set up on the day.

The memory tests are there to see you can retain large amounts of information quickly and accurately. The glop test is manageable. As you read the information note down important pieces of info to embed it in your mind. To practice you can play simple games like pairs or complete online tests etc to increase your crystallised memory.

Glop was the one that made me most uncomfortable in the paper tests but you will be fine. It's not a large amount of information really.
Thanks TeaTrain, appreciate the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.