• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheanne

Yes. I had a little bit of that. I haven't had an email confirmation of completion but it says on my tpe page that the assessment is complete.

How long did you wait for email upon completion of scenario assessment?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave Tasty

How long did you wait for email upon completion of scenario assessment?
After completing the SJT I got an email almost immediately and went straight into the alphanumeric. After completing this I haven't heard anything. Just have to wait and see what happens, I expect they are being flooded with applications.

fourandbov

After reading the previous post of suggesting anything over 3 minutes and under 100% might not be good enough, has anyone here who's applied managed to achieve a time under 3 minutes?

I didn't and now feel I may have been too cautious not to make an error, rather than focusing on speed.

ash39

Established Member
After reading the previous post of suggesting anything over 3 minutes and under 100% might not be good enough, has anyone here who's applied managed to achieve a time under 3 minutes?

I didn't and now feel I may have been too cautious not to make an error, rather than focusing on speed.

It was me who posted that. I have zero inside knowledge to back it up, but 3 minutes gives an average of 4.5 seconds per question. Based on the psychometric tests I've sat previously (both rail and non-rail) - under 5 seconds is where I would expect you'll need to be. Purely because the competition will be so fierce.

DJD

It was me who posted that. I have zero inside knowledge to back it up, but 3 minutes gives an average of 4.5 seconds per question. Based on the psychometric tests I've sat previously (both rail and non-rail) - under 5 seconds is where I would expect you'll need to be. Purely because the competition will be so fierce.

anything I’ve ever read about railway recruitment would favour accuracy over speed. In group bourdon tests for example they purposely give you difficult time constraints to see how you perform under pressure. If you’re a train driver they would rather you take the time to phone the signaller to check if you can go through a faulty signal and make your train late than taking a chance. I wouldn’t worry about the time it takes, just focus on getting them all right and not making any mistakes.

Last edited:

Duffman76

On Moderation
yeah I reckon I wasted about 30 seconds waiting for 2 of the 40 questions to load up. Will be annoying if I miss out on the top bracket because of that.

I had the same issues.

I'm almost positive that... "it said"... I took 6 minutes at the end of the test.

I'm very certain it did not take me 6 minutes to complete this part.

So who knows.

I'm sure their server is under demand.

DunfordBridge

Alphanumeric is speed and accuracy - The most correct answers in ideally the fastest times.

The SJT will be scored something 1-4 for each, like the most ideal answer will score you 4 points, and the least ideal will score you 1, in line with the job role, company expectations and core values.
The one you pick as the most ideal will add that number to your score, and the one you pick as least ideal will deduct that value from your most ideal so if you managed to score +4 and -1 your question total would be 3. (Range being 3 to -3) and then this would be repeated for the remaining 19 questions until a total score and accuracy is drawn up.

Not often I go on here these days because the constant sight of red ink offends me, not having a go at anyone in particular. Your post was quite useful, core values and al that. Not all the questions on the SJT are blatantly safety-related. The question about the trainee making minor errors springs to mind, where the trainee said that they felt pressured. I then remembered that one of the core values is about being supportive.

Just wondering about the alphanumeric test, I have got a feeling that this is different from the one initially used by the First Group where each successive test got quicker on the Verify Checking test, if anyone remembers that.

8J

Do you know what the timeframe of passing the psychometric assessments are for TPE to accept a previous enhanced pass?

To the best of my knowledge, Transpennine Express allow you to have passed them within the previous 5 years. That certainly was the case a few years ago, it may have changed now.

RHolmes

Personally I managed 2:56

Dave2016

Anyone know how long you get to do the alphanumerical test. Done mine happy all correct just before I finished a timer started flashing don’t know if that’s good or bad

Pheanne

Has anyone sat 1st assessment and is still waiting? I've not heard a thing even a no thanks but I'm guessing it's went that way

richfoz84

anything I’ve ever read about railway recruitment would favour accuracy over speed. In group bourdon tests for example they purposely give you difficult time constraints to see how you perform under pressure. If you’re a train driver they would rather you take the time to phone the signaller to check if you can go through a faulty signal and make your train late than taking a chance. I wouldn’t worry about the time it takes, just focus on getting them all right and not making any mistakes.

Having taken and failed a section of the psychometric tests earlier this year with TFW, i know from my feedback that my accuracy was 100% but i wasn't quite quick enough.. They want you to get far enough down the section. I asked if i had got two lines further down but with a single mistake, would i have passed.. she looked at my to say yes however couldn't confirm this. I took from that, that both elements are equally important.

richfoz84

Has anyone sat 1st assessment and is still waiting? I've not heard a thing even a no thanks but I'm guessing it's went that way
I did the questions straight after my application last night, and got an email to do stage 2 but it was midnight and i i was tired.. so gonna do the second set tonight after the family are in bed & theres no distractions.

richfoz84

So i have logged in to do the second assessment, and it says i have completed 1 assessment and 0 outstanding!.. Last night, when i completed the first one i was sent an email to do the second assessment within 48 hours of submitting my application but when i click that link it says there is no assessment outstanding.. very strange! i'm gonna call them tomorrow and find out whats going in!!

8J

Like I say it may have changed but in 2016, it was 5 years - I have it in writing from First Group resourcing.

Michael1985

I had the same issues.

I'm almost positive that... "it said"... I took 6 minutes at the end of the test.

I'm very certain it did not take me 6 minutes to complete this part.

So who knows.

I'm sure their server is under demand.

I had the same issue. Think it said I took around 8.5 minutes, but like others have already pointed out, there was some serious delays in loading the questions. Quite annoying if you've been really accurate but glitches like this put you outside of the top bracket.

Also, do you think that they will score depots individually, or will everyone's scores be collated at the same point. For example, if more people have applied for somewhere like Manchester Piccadilly as opposed to somewhere like Hull or Scarborough for their first choice, will this play a part do you think?

Duffman76

On Moderation
I had the same issue. Think it said I took around 8.5 minutes, but like others have already pointed out, there was some serious delays in loading the questions. Quite annoying if you've been really accurate but glitches like this put you outside of the top bracket.

Also, do you think that they will score depots individually, or will everyone's scores be collated at the same point. For example, if more people have applied for somewhere like Manchester Piccadilly as opposed to somewhere like Hull or Scarborough for their first choice, will this play a part do you think?

No idea mate.

But I'm not worrying too much about all this "top bracket", time trial malarkey.

Get all the questions correct, before the timer starts flashing red, and all should be OK.

I reckon TOCs can, and do "bin" successful tested applications for various reasons.

Mike121

Ahh i see, so if i were to sit the psychometric assessments again would that overwrite the previous results i got on my last assessment?

having been in the same situation earlier in the year I know the answer to this! Yes anything you do will overwrite the previous scores. It’s worth it tho! U have passed it before and you will pass it again! Go for it!

Megatracker

having been in the same situation earlier in the year I know the answer to this! Yes anything you do will overwrite the previous scores. It’s worth it tho! U have passed it before and you will pass it again! Go for it!

Thanks for your help man, very much appreciated!

scouseyb123

On Moderation
Thanks for your help man, very much appreciated!

Okay thanks so what happens if you failed the driver tests the first time, then passed the second time but then fail at the third attempt through TPE’s process. Technically two fails so does that mean you are ineligible to ever do driver tests again?

Dave Tasty

This is a tough one, and a decision each person will have to weigh up. As of right now I am over the two year period for stage one by two weeks. That's just unlucky for me. I am in a talent pool for another company so if I am invited to redo stage 1 then I will probably decline as it could jeopardise that potential job. It has taken to long and too much hard work to get to my current position so it's a risk I am not prepared to take.

This is a tough one, and a decision each person will have to weigh up. As of right now I am over the two year period for stage one by two weeks. That's just unlucky for me. I am in a talent pool for another company so if I am invited to redo stage 1 then I will probably decline as it could jeopardise that potential job. It has taken to long and too much hard work to get to my current position so it's a risk I am not prepared to take.

I had to make the same decision on a couple of occasions (DB wanted me to retake ALL of my tests because I hadn't done the MMI when I applied) and I decided it wasn't worth the risk. Just had my DMI for SWR so I think it was the right one

Biker

I did my last test today. Did first test Tuesday and was notified half an hr later to do the second assessment which I couldn't do until today. Completed the alphanumeric test in just under 5 minutes so hoping I've done everything correctly and done enough to get through. Good luck everyone.

Hasan Shah

So i have logged in to do the second assessment, and it says i have completed 1 assessment and 0 outstanding!.. Last night, when i completed the first one i was sent an email to do the second assessment within 48 hours of submitting my application but when i click that link it says there is no assessment outstanding.. very strange! i'm gonna call them tomorrow and find out whats going in!!
same happened to me but if u go on the assessment page, itll be on it and u just have to click on it from there and take it

Status
Not open for further replies.