• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

8J

This is only something that should concern candidates that are successful through the recruitment process. Don't let the salary changes bother you at this early stage in the game.

8J

No, the silly ones are the people who fixate themselves on the salary and not ensuring they present themselves well to the company! They are coincidently the same ones who don't give the respect to the job that it deserves and are quite easy to spot for an interviewing manager.

They will find out what the training salary is if/when they progress to the interview stage. What has been posted on here about the 8 weeks then going on to full rate has been agreed in principle but not signed on the dotted line yet so at present, take what has been posted on the advert as what it is going to be. Anything else is a bonus!

TeaTrain

I couldn't agree more 8J! If you fixate on the salary now you start spending it before you even get it. Of course the salary is important as that is partially why we apply. For the stability. But we are not even half way through the process. There are so many hurdles before getting giving an interview even. The only numbers that concern me are any that crop up for the tests!

And if there is one thing I know from unions and workers. Everything can change very quickly! Even as a guard things are agreed and changed all the time.

ash39

Established Member
It's a very valid consideration for those who would have to take a pay cut for the training period. It's easy to say don't fixate on the salary, but we all have bills to pay.

na281093

I’m not even fixating or thinking remotely about the salary, it’s just something to discuss while I wait for a response that’s all.

8J

I appreciate that people have bills to pay, however the advert states the correct current pay scales for trainees which I think is actually already one of the better deals for someone starting out as a driver as you go straight onto full drivers salary once passed out. Most TOC's give you incremental pay rises during your post qualified period.

As I've said the murmurings on here about going on to full salary after 8 weeks are indeed looking likely to come in. Until that has been written down and officially put into place you shouldn't take that as gospel and focus on presenting yourself in the best possible light to the company throughout the recruitment process and during your employment.

GuardD

It's a very valid consideration for those who would have to take a pay cut for the training period. It's easy to say don't fixate on the salary, but we all have bills to pay.
Exactly. Personally I would be dropping over 10k on a training wage so 8 weeks as opposed to a year or two makes a big difference

Someone said managers can spot straight away someone who is only in it for the money. Trust me, when someone turns up giving it the "oh it's all about the railway the money isn't important to me" those are the bullsh*itters they spot from a mile off

Owen2323

Did anyone else tick the box for the dates of the tests not being suitable? I did and find it a bit odd that it hasn't been acknowledged in any way.........?

MarkTrain

Did anyone else tick the box for the dates of the tests not being suitable? I did and find it a bit odd that it hasn't been acknowledged in any way.........?
Did you select Newcastle first choice and you’ve been offered assessment days?

Owen2323

Did you select Newcastle first choice and you’ve been offered assessment days?
I was hoping to but Newcastle had vanished off the list by the time I'd finished my application. A lesson learnt the hard way.......

TheVicLine

No to all the above comments to my previous post.
After 8 weeks of starting with TPE your probation period ends. You are still a trainee driver until you pass out (usually about a year), but you will be paid the full drivers salary of £58k from 8 weeks after the day you start with TPE as a trainee. You will be paid the full drivers salary as a trainee!
It was agreed this week with TPE as part of the new rest day working agreement.

Busyboy89

Has anyone who’s already passed the tests heard anything from tpe? Ie they don’t have to attend this stage?

L401CJF

Established Member
Me neither, I was told to pick an assessment slot and then the OPC would check details and advise if i need to attend or not and if not my slot might just disappear, no update and quite last minute ! I have no intention of retaking them just incase - i'm not prepared to lose a life, plus not forking out £60 to get to Leeds to then be told i dont need to attend as i arrive!

GuardD

Just heard that it's the top scorers of the online tests who have been offered assessments this week and any further intakes for assessments will depend on how these ones go

JLyons

Just heard that it's the top scorers of the online tests who have been offered assessments this week and any further intakes for assessments will depend on how these ones go

ive just heard differently to what you say

Mike121

What have you heard? It was a tpe guard who told me they had heard this but probably the usual railway rumours

this is 100% accurate. But like others have said above, stop worrying about the salary and concentrate on other aspects to getting this job.

Status
Not open for further replies.