• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitch31

Nope I’ll recheck my email and see what it says I didn’t see any attachments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kitch31

What did the 2 documents consist of ? Rather annoyed I haven’t been sent them doesn’t it mention anything about what to expect or dress code ? Only thing I got was bring my right to work documents

CreamNCookies

a couple of tests, just out of curiosity, it is Trainee Train Driver you've applied for? as I know a person here and there as said they had a conductor assessment on this thread.

Nothing about dress code was mentioned, but all i'd say is first impressions and that, just incase anyone from TPE is there. Better to overdress than under IMO, you don't want to be the only person in jeans...

kitch31

no it was definitely trainee train driver. what kind of tests I understand your reluctance to tell me as we are in competition I have applied for the York depot too.

kitch31

I don't believe this traced back my emails from the recruitment they attached them to the original invitation letter oh my god haha so much for key eye for detail I think in my sheer excitement at getting to the assessment day I had accepted it whilst at work on my phone email and never gave it another thought!!.

Last edited:

CreamNCookies

I don't believe this traced back my emails from the recruitment they attached them to the original invitation letter oh my god haha so much for key eye for detail I think in my sheer excitement at getting to the assessment day I had accepted it whilst at work on my phone email and never get it another thought!!.

Don't overload yourself too much though.

The email states this is what we'll be doing on stage 1

"What tests will I take?

At this first stage you will take the following tests:

- Group Bourdon
- Trainability for Rules and Procedures Parts 1 and 2
- Test of Everyday Attention (Tea-occ)"

beeman05

Is anyone a driver with TPE or passed the first assessment stage with them recently?

I have my first assessment stage on Friday this week and after reading the GB test page I know there is no answer as to how many lines u need to get through in each page on the test. However can anyone who passed this stage remember how many lines they got per page before the assessors told you to change and move to the next page?

Thank you in advance :)

Nh2014

Is anyone a driver with TPE or passed the first assessment stage with them recently?

I have my first assessment stage on Friday this week and after reading the GB test page I know there is no answer as to how many lines u need to get through in each page on the test. However can anyone who passed this stage remember how many lines they got per page before the assessors told you to change and move to the next page?

I passed to an enhanced standard with a different toc, I got over half to 3 quarter down the page before the changes. The key is accuracy as you get marked down for incorrect boxes crossed

kitch31

I am sure someone said they got to around 5-6 lines down and that was enough they'd rather have someone with less completed lines and 0 mistakes than more lines and more mistakes.

kitch31

I passed to an enhanced standard with a different toc, I got over half to 3 quarter down the page before the changes. The key is accuracy as you get marked down for incorrect boxes crossed
how was the other tests during the assessment day ?

Nh2014

how was the other tests during the assessment day ?
They were OK, don't worry if you think you haven't done well on one of the tests they are designed to put you under pressure just concentrate on each test individually, and don't worry about what other people are doing. (you know it's going ok on the group bourdon when your eyes start watering )

beeman05

I am sure someone said they got to around 5-6 lines down and that was enough they'd rather have someone with less completed lines and 0 mistakes than more lines and more mistakes.

Yeah I am sure I read somewhere on here about that sort of number too.

The way I have been practicing is to aim for 8-9 lines per page in 2 mins with as minimal errors as possible. I have got through 5 pages with ZERO errors once but its not easy.

Just gonna make sure I don't rush on the day because that's the rule of thumb.

Good luck on Friday when it comes to you!

TeaTrain

I think we can only speculate but I know I get about 8-9 lines down each time as well. I have passed them all once before and now doing them for TPE now. I am still waiting for some news from the stage one a couple of weeks back in Leeds.

How many assessment days are there this week?

beeman05

Th
I think we can only speculate but I know I get about 8-9 lines down each time as well. I have passed them all once before and now doing them for TPE now. I am still waiting for some news from the stage one a couple of weeks back in Leeds.

How many assessment days are there this week?

I think there are tomorrow morning and tomorrow afternoon and the same on Friday.

I logged in initially to book and those 4 slots were available then later the same day I went back on to book it and all that was left was AM on Friday.

Thanks for the mention on the lines you completed I think 8-9 with top accuracy sounds hopefully enough to pass this section.

Hope you get good news soon!

kitch31

yep mines tomorrow morning couldn't pick Friday as its my partners birthday and my puppy as got his first lot of injections haha, I've gone through the practice stuff I feel fairly confident with it, just trying to remain calm get a goods night rest. Will update tomorrow afternoon after the assessment on how it went if I feel I could offer any useful advice.

beeman05

yep mines tomorrow morning couldn't pick Friday as its my partners birthday and my puppy as got his first lot of injections haha, I've gone through the practice stuff I feel fairly confident with it, just trying to remain calm get a goods night rest. Will update tomorrow afternoon after the assessment on how it went if I feel I could offer any useful advice.

That's my plan too. Think a lot of it will come naturally on the day along with the prep done before too.

Good luck!

Busyboy89

Good luck everyone doing stage 1 tests, my only advice is listen to what you are told as it’s easy to search/mark for the wrong thing, especially on that phone book test.
Once again good luck!

Yabba

I have my assessment on Friday at 12:15 in Leeds. I'm unsure if i'm excited or nervous about the whole thing. I have done as much research an testing as I possibly can so I just hope I can do myself justice.

CreamNCookies

Good luck! I hope it all goes well.

beeman05

Is there anywhere or any apps to practice for these tests?

Micker there are some things online but not much. The main thing is the group bourdon software which I downloaded and found very useful. Best thing is to initially refer to the literature the TOC should have sent you if you have an assessment day scheduled.

Trainability for rules / procedures -

Pt1 - couldn't find anything specific but this is to test memory reading/hearing a passage. Can find slightly similar examples on your google machine

Pt 2 - https://traineetraindriverinfo.com/dials-for-train-drivers/ - this was the only similar example I could find

TEA-OCC

Pt 1 - https://traineetraindriverinfo.com/low-tones-test-track-1/ - note this is very straightforward and the only example I could find

Pt 2 - if you have a received a date to attend assessment you should have received files from the TOC which give you examples and prep so refer to that for this part.

Pt 3 - a combination of parts 1 and 2 and I couldnt find anything online.

I think with this TEA-OCC a large part of it is either the candidate can or cant do this.

I hope this helps!

CreamNCookies

Is there anywhere or any apps to practice for these tests?
This is something I was hoping to find, haven't been able to yet.

Ive just been reading paragraphs for a few minutes and trying to see if I can recite the main parts back to my friend.

micker001

I haven't got an assessment. I probably won't, if I do get 1 though at least I am prepared and know what to look for and where to find it.

Thanks for all the information. I'm sure it will help a lot of people on here.

kitch31

Done the assessment I managed 3 quarters of the GB test on each section.....the dials and cables I managed 30/43 questions before time ran out the phone book one was rather straight forward you are only looking for 4 groups of matching symbols the rest of the information is irrelevant and same again with the telephone book and hearing tone, the hearing tone test is rather easy and straight forward. As for the memory test there is 2 questions I was unsure of, the rest I’m 99% confident I got correct but time will tell hopefully find out end of next week

CreamNCookies

Done the assessment I managed 3 quarters of the GB test on each section.....the dials and cables I managed 30/43 questions before time ran out the phone book one was rather straight forward you are only looking for 4 groups of matching symbols the rest of the information is irrelevant and same again with the telephone book and hearing tone, the hearing tone test is rather easy and straight forward. As for the memory test there is 2 questions I was unsure of, the rest I’m 99% confident I got correct but time will tell hopefully find out end of next week
I've been doing the group bourdon test so much the last few days that all i'm seeing is dots, hopefully it all pays off.

Was the dials just like the practice tests?

Regardless of the outcome, we can all be proud that we've made it this far. Several haven't.

Sr123

had 3 lines left on one of the gb, 4 on the rest
Did 40/43 on the dials

enjoyed both of those tests

Other 2 straight forward as you say

memory test, I’m not so sure, could have went either way, think i definitely got one wrong, picked up the eraser and time went

Status
Not open for further replies.