• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yabba

Did stage 1 two weeks ago

did stage 2 today
Grey box test was good, 32 mins of staring at a screen tho cant be the best for you, I know I clicked once when I shouldn’t have, I was adjusting my seat.

seeing photos for one second and selecting what was in the photos was alright

the joystick test was good, 2 guys said it was very sensitive and wouldn’t go where they wanted(they passed anyway)

MMI was at the end IF you passed those 3 tests, which we all 3 of us did

Now to wait a week for MMI results

Regarding if I found stage 1 or 2 harder.

i ‘think’ I breezed through the bordon and the dial test, did about 80% on each page of bordon and then 40/43 on dials
Did not like the glop, listening to and reading paragraphs and then answering questions about it

Joystick test and grey box test were great, didn’t like the photo test

I really enjoyed dial test + group bordon and found those easy, same with joysticks and grey box.

the MMI is quite intense, didn’t enjoy it that much, a couple times felt I’d answered the question but then was asked again haha

I'm trying to prepare for the MMI as best as I can, I found on here a list of questions they are likely to ask:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/multimodal-interview-mmi.142360/

My concern is if they ask me to "Describe a time you've been on a training course for over 2 weeks" I've never been on any training courses for any longer than a day. If it helped me develop though I would jump at the chance but will I be marked down if I am unable to answer this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Moose27

Well done for passing the computer tests! Have mine imminently - hoping I’ll be ok!!

Good luck with the MMI results - I hope you get the news you want!

@Sr123

TeaTrain

In terms of the MMI was it still that they ask you to answer some 'give a time when' take the paper away and then later on you get interviewed on them? That is how I remember it being anyway. Was the interviewer nice enough?

Well done for passing the computer tests. I also have down on my email I have another Situational Judgement Test. Did you do another one?

Last edited:

GPR

Mine was last month with a different TOC.
The interviewers are nice.
They are there to try and extract as much information from you as possible and analyse how you react in certain circumstances and situations.
I enjoyed the MMI.

Aftv49

Hi All,

I know this question has been asked multiple times but I’d like more information about the MMI.

I am an office worker who has little to none operation experience. I am about to sit my stage two assessments which includes the MMI.

I have been reading a lot of the posts on the forums, and a lot of the example answers for the MMI questions are based on operational related jobs.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can prepare? What examples I can use as an office worker?

In addition, I have completed various CPD courses but nothing over the span of two weeks. Therefore, for the question - ‘describe a time you’ve been on a training course for two weeks?’ Can I just state I am a graduate with top honours and I did it over 3 years and expand on that?

Thanks!

PickleTree

Hi All,

I know this question has been asked multiple times but I’d like more information about the MMI.

I am an office worker who has little to none operation experience. I am about to sit my stage two assessments which includes the MMI.

I have been reading a lot of the posts on the forums, and a lot of the example answers for the MMI questions are based on operational related jobs.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can prepare? What examples I can use as an office worker?

In addition, I have completed various CPD courses but nothing over the span of two weeks. Therefore, for the question - ‘describe a time you’ve been on a training course for two weeks?’ Can I just state I am a graduate with top honours and I did it over 3 years and expand on that?

Thanks!

Your best bet is to google MMI train driver questions and a link to a thread on this forum will be presented. All the information you could wish for is in that thread.

Prepare to use the STAR methodology when answering the questions.

Good luck.

Dorigo72

i ‘think’ I breezed through the bordon and the dial test, did about 80% on each page of bordon and then 40/43 on dials
Did not like the glop, listening to and reading paragraphs and then answering questions about it

I really enjoyed dial test + group bordon and found those easy, same with joysticks and grey box.

the MMI is quite intense, didn’t enjoy it that much, a couple times felt I’d answered the question but then was asked again haha
I'm compiling a comprehensive list of MMI questions so I can add them to a Pinned thread for these forums - do you mind me asking which questions you were asked, I have a list of about 25 so far.

DunfordBridge

I'm trying to prepare for the MMI as best as I can, I found on here a list of questions they are likely to ask:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/multimodal-interview-mmi.142360/

My concern is if they ask me to "Describe a time you've been on a training course for over 2 weeks" I've never been on any training courses for any longer than a day. If it helped me develop though I would jump at the chance but will I be marked down if I am unable to answer this?

Thanks for the link about the MMI, nice to have information handed on a plate, some on here complain if you are not using your own initiative.

Surprised they do not have the MMI questions as screening questions as part of the initial application form. Do remember that the examples you provide do not have to be work examples, they can be from your free time too. I think I used the example previously of teaching myself new computer skills after I was given the push from some software house in Lincolnshire, for unknown reasons. I wanted to refresh my skills to make myself more eligible for employment so I enrolled on just about every computer course I could think of, although the training was not every day of the week, but I never stopped basically. When I was not in the class room, I would be at home reading a book.

I think the idea is to demonstrate that you can take in a lot of job-related information and actually complete an intensive training course.

Aftv49

Thanks for the link about the MMI, nice to have information handed on a plate, some on here complain if you are not using your own initiative.

Surprised they do not have the MMI questions as screening questions as part of the initial application form. Do remember that the examples you provide do not have to be work examples, they can be from your free time too. I think I used the example previously of teaching myself new computer skills after I was given the push from some software house in Lincolnshire, for unknown reasons. I wanted to refresh my skills to make myself more eligible for employment so I enrolled on just about every computer course I could think of, although the training was not every day of the week, but I never stopped basically. When I was not in the class room, I would be at home reading a book.

I think the idea is to demonstrate that you can take in a lot of job-related information and actually complete an intensive training course.
Would it be applicable to state that I have a degree? and I can use my experience at university to showcase I have the skills for the post.

RHolmes

I'm compiling a comprehensive list of MMI questions so I can add them to a Pinned thread for these forums - do you mind me asking which questions you were asked, I have a list of about 25 so far.

My three questions for TPE (Conductor) very recently were:

1 - Give an example or a time you have had to persuade/debate your point of view in order to do something?

Expansion questions of this were largely the importance of why I was trying to force my point of view, the timescale of which things developed, and how I backed my argument

(Note: my first answer was deemed unsuitable due to the timescale being less than an hour as the examiner wanted a longer time period of persuasion/debate .)

2 - Give an example of where you have had to respond to an emergency or unexpected situations

Expansion questions for this one were largely minute by minute details of what happened and emotions felt.

3 - Name a time where you have had to follow rules and procedures in order to complete a task

Expansion questions on this were to do with how I feel about the repetition and to give an example/s of where this has been stressful, and how I dealt with the situation with the added pressure.

Moose27

Would it be applicable to state that I have a degree? and I can use my experience at university to showcase I have the skills for the post.

That was going to be my answer if I was asked the over two week question. In my MMI I was asked about when I have had to persevere to learn something. Different wording but looking for the same sorts of answers I think!

kitch31

take it you're steve ha I'm ash we was on stage 2 together, Wednesday just gone completely agree with the MMI I answered the question and she'd then ask me again? will see next week fingers crossed we both get through

Dorigo72

For the guys who did Stage 2 this week - are they doing the DMI/managers interview on the same day or just the MMI interview?

DunfordBridge

I have a degree too, in Computer Science, but I never used it. It is over twenty years ago. Suppose it depends on the course, if it was a Law degree, use it by all means, but some degrees are positively cushy. I knew that the psychology degree there only had 5 lectures a week which is hardly intensive. I reckon it depends if you can demonstrate management of self and also of workload.

Busyboy89

take it you're steve ha I'm ash we was on stage 2 together, Wednesday just gone completely agree with the MMI I answered the question and she'd then ask me again? will see next week fingers crossed we both get through

Hi
Did you then give a different answer/example when they asked you again?

DunfordBridge

Hi All,

Thanks!

I am an office worker too and I failed on rules and procedures last time even though I was volunteering as a crossing keeper on dare I say it, a heritage railway. Just so happens that I am a guard now so I have to adhere to more rules. Try looking for non-work examples. The key thing to remember is that rules are there for safety, especially your own safety.

Coopes1710

Did you then use another example or repeat what you had said? Thanks

BoroAndy

Any idea how many of the first tranche who did stage1 got through to stage 2, and how many got through to interviews, and if they have a start date for the February training start?

Moose27

For the guys who did Stage 2 this week - are they doing the DMI/managers interview on the same day or just the MMI interview?

Nobody from TPE is at the stage 2 day, just staff from the OPC, so the DMI is if you pass the MMI.

Lots of acronyms TBF.

L401CJF

Established Member
Any idea how many of the first tranche who did stage1 got through to stage 2, and how many got through to interviews, and if they have a start date for the February training start?
Those who passed stage 2 will have done the MMI Multi Modal Interview, pass that then they should get an invite to do a DMI Driver Managers Interview(?) which is with TPE management. Then they'll will pick the successful candidates and announce a start date.

I don't know if anybody has been invited for an interview with TPE themselves yet, I think people are still waiting on MMI results

GuardD

This is getting ridiculous now

They must know who is NOT getting an assessment by now and put us out of our miseries

L401CJF

Established Member
This is getting ridiculous now

They must know who is NOT getting an assessment by now and put us out of our miseries

Just waiting for confirmation on dates for the last round of assessments.

Don't forget they have 'X' number of vacancies to fill across the country and thousands of applicants the majority will be unsuccessful. I dont know how it works exactly but I would imagine they can't let everybody else down until they have an idea of numbers after the first few rounds of assessments. I know it isnt the case, but they could invite lets say 100 people to attend the first few rounds of assessments. Every single one of those COULD fail (I know this isnt the case so far, but a number of people have been knocked out already). If too many people are knocked out, surley they must then pick some more people from those who havn't yet heard anything. I would imagine they want a minimum of 'X' amount of candidates going into each following stage. If too few make it, they may invite more to start from scratch.

They will fill the first few rounds of assessments first as they have been, wait for all the results from stage 1, a large number will be knocked out at this stage. Then invite those who passed to do stage 2, another number will be knocked out at this stage. Then the MMI, again some people will be knocked out at this stage. Then comes the interview, that again some people will not get through. Presumably then conditional job offers are given out, then comes the medical, which some people might not pass.

It might seem like a lot of people are getting through their application while others have heard nothing since the initial online assessment pass months ago - but if too many people get knocked out from the first few rounds off assessments, interviews etc, then they still have vacancies to fill so I would imagine then start another round of assessments for the next lot.

Only once they are satisfied they have enough numbers then they will send the dreaded emails out to everybody else.

Of course out of those who will get through the first rounds, could be a majority for one location, and those that failed might be majority for another. If there are too few still in the running for that location, my guess is they would have to invite more people into the running.

Like I say I dont understand how the process works exactly, but what I am saying is they wont let everybody who passed the initial online tests down just yet, until they are certain they have enough numbers to play with to fill all the vacancies at each location. All the people on here getting impatient, constantly asking who has heard what etc is getting very repetitive. I have no idea how it works, but I am just using a bit of common sense. Try and think how difficult it must be to juggle the right number of candidates through all the stages and then wonder why some people havnt heard anything yet. Basically they don't know how many are going to pass each round and make it right through. I am sure there are average numbers, but there could be the odd session that everybody passes, and the odd session in which very few pass.

Just a thought!

ash39

Established Member
Don't forget they have 'X' number of vacancies to fill across the country and thousands of applicants the majority will be unsuccessful. I dont know how it works exactly but I would imagine they can't let everybody else down until they have an idea of numbers after the first few rounds of assessments. I know it isnt the case, but they could invite lets say 100 people to attend the first few rounds of assessments. Every single one of those COULD fail (I know this isnt the case so far, but a number of people have been knocked out already). If too many people are knocked out, surley they must then pick some more people from those who havn't yet heard anything. I would imagine they want a minimum of 'X' amount of candidates going into each following stage. If too few make it, they may invite more to start from scratch.

They will fill the first few rounds of assessments first as they have been, wait for all the results from stage 1, a large number will be knocked out at this stage. Then invite those who passed to do stage 2, another number will be knocked out at this stage. Then the MMI, again some people will be knocked out at this stage. Then comes the interview, that again some people will not get through. Presumably then conditional job offers are given out, then comes the medical, which some people might not pass.

It might seem like a lot of people are getting through their application while others have heard nothing since the initial online assessment pass months ago - but if too many people get knocked out from the first few rounds off assessments, interviews etc, then they still have vacancies to fill so I would imagine then start another round of assessments for the next lot.

Only once they are satisfied they have enough numbers then they will send the dreaded emails out to everybody else.

Of course out of those who will get through the first rounds, could be a majority for one location, and those that failed might be majority for another. If there are too few still in the running for that location, my guess is they would have to invite more people into the running.

Like I say I dont understand how the process works exactly, but what I am saying is they wont let everybody who passed the initial online tests down just yet, until they are certain they have enough numbers to play with to fill all the vacancies at each location. All the people on here getting impatient, constantly asking who has heard what etc is getting very repetitive. I have no idea how it works, but I am just using a bit of common sense. Try and think how difficult it must be to juggle the right number of candidates through all the stages and then wonder why some people havnt heard anything yet. Basically they don't know how many are going to pass each round and make it right through. I am sure there are average numbers, but there could be the odd session that everybody passes, and the odd session in which very few pass.

Just a thought!

I think that's a logical and realistic view on how the process works. In any recruitment, you would always offer the role to the favoured candidate before letting down the others, for obvious reasons. The many stages of assessments and interviews associated with railway recruitment makes the process very long for the borderline candidates.

FWIW, I'm still at the 'submitted' stage with no contact since completing the online assessments.

I did do the full process with Northern in 2013, eventually failing the MMI. The memory of that process is hazy now but I seem to remember the whole thing from application to rejection was around 4 months.

CreamNCookies

Hey all,

Has anyone on here used their travel authorisation the day before to board the trains to Leeds? I plan to crash in a hotel the Monday before stage 2 tests.

I've been trying to get through to someone from TPE for an answer to no avail for the last week.

Moose27

Hey all,

Has anyone on here used their travel authorisation the day before to board the trains to Leeds? I plan to crash in a hotel the Monday before stage 2 tests.

I've been trying to get through to someone from TPE for an answer to no avail for the last week.

misread your question so edited:

One of the guys on my day came down day before and sorted his own travel, but was planning to use the authorisation to travel back on the day.

Last edited:

dan4291

Hey all,

I asked them the same thing for my travel to the stage 1 assessment day and was told the travel authorisation is only valid on the day and not the day before.

CreamNCookies

I thought it may of been the case, thought id ask the question before booking something. At least travel home is complimentary.

I can't complain though, I had a last minute interview in Sunderland when I lived in London a few years back and no travel was provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.