• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robnw67

For anyone in scotland theres a load of trainee driver jobs with scotrail being released in the next few weeks
And there's the kicker. I'd happily move to Scotland for a job like this, but I am guessing that they will want you to be in the area to apply.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

8J

Apparently they’ve filled the majority of their vacancies with internal staff from other grades. 3 months of refreshing emails for a nice rejection email with no explanation. Hey ho...we carry on :D

Not the case at all. They took the highest scoring applicants on the shortlist and online assessment stage and put them through the driver psychometric tests and interviewed them.

Had some of these candidates not made the grade then I suspect they would have put more through the assessments.

I know it's harsh but the demand for these positions is very high.

Mike121

Not the case at all. They took the highest scoring applicants on the shortlist and online assessment stage and put them through the driver psychometric tests and interviewed them.

Had some of these candidates not made the grade then I suspect they would have put more through the assessments.

just got to keep going for it. Remain positive

TeaTrain

So does anyone think the people who have assessments this month (Stage 2) Still have a chance or probably shoved in a talent pool now?

It seems a first come first serve basis as well though if the people who did their stage 2 in Jan are given a role and everyone else just left to the wayside? OR am I missing something? It just feels a bit all over the place for me at the moment.

TeaTrain

But they haven't completed the shortlist yet. There is still the February batch to go through as well. The dates could be picked by the people who passed stage 1 so there would be no indication of the people being interviewed already as the best candidates. If that makes sense lol. (I am not saying those who already had an interview are not either. I am trying to talk about possibilities. I want everyone to do well and you can see that through all my posts I hope!)

Moose27

Remember there are 3 courses planned for these vacancies

So does anyone think the people who have assessments this month (Stage 2) Still have a chance or probably shoved in a talent pool now?

It seems a first come first serve basis as well though if the people who did their stage 2 in Jan are given a role and everyone else just left to the wayside? OR am I missing something? It just feels a bit all over the place for me at the moment.

BoroAndy

Interesting. Personally I am certain I got 100% on the alphanumeric test. The SJT would seem to be a cross between common sense and the rules of the company, which outsiders would not know about until going through the training. So it would be biased towards anyone who was lucky at guessing the correct answers !!

micker001

I got a rejection email as well. I was expecting it though. There were to many applicants who went for it. I only found this forum after I had applied. I didn't realise what I needed to put into it.

The test that we had, I took my time making sure everything was right and had about 7 seconds left. I'm reading on here they had 2 mins left. I was focusing on accuracy at the expense of speed.

Good luck to those that got through it's a tough process and you have done it. Congratulations.

TeaTrain

Yes micker001 it is a fine balance between accuracy AND speed. This forum has a wealth of information for every stage of the process and a generally supportive community.

kitch31

sat my DMI today at York with TPE both managers alan and greg where excellent very impressed, praying I've done enough. Said ill find out back end of next week maybe, they didn't say when the courses would start as none of them know yet. so fingers crossed for everyone else who had their DMI too

Moose27

Interesting. Personally I am certain I got 100% on the alphanumeric test. The SJT would seem to be a cross between common sense and the rules of the company, which outsiders would not know about until going through the training. So it would be biased towards anyone who was lucky at guessing the correct answers !!

I don’t think that’s right - the SJT assesses your personal responses to situations to see if your personality matches the requirements. It’s psychometric.

Alphanumeric is a balance of accuracy and speed, so if you didn’t do it quick enough you’d have been down the order.

BoroAndy

I don’t think that’s right - the SJT assesses your personal responses to situations to see if your personality matches the requirements. It’s psychometric.

Alphanumeric is a balance of accuracy and speed, so if you didn’t do it quick enough you’d have been down the order.

Yes thanks for that. In my past I've been in IT mainly, but also catering, bars, hotels, and most recently taxi driving. To me the customer is always most important in these jobs. Perhaps I didn't do too hot on SJT because of that. Although a following email implied I had passed so could do the alphanumeric test. I guess the pass mark was lower than the standard that got through. Well done everyone who did.

ILoveLamp

I received an email last night stating that I had not been successful in my application to be a train driver with TPE. A previous email had indicated that I had successfully completed the online assessments, which, if I recall correctly included a numerical comprehension test, written comprehension test and a third (that I can't quite remember, but online) test. I also answered a number of questions giving rail based scenarios to choose my most and least favoured options.

I found it odd, therefore, that I now received an email stating that I was no longer being considered (even though I have taken no more tests) and that I couldn't reapply for a driver job with TPE for 6 months. I thought the 6 month quarantine was only for failing psychometric tests. I guess that I'm not sure what's gone on other than I am a little more sad than I was yesterday.

Could it be the distance from the specified train station that was the problem? I live in Preston and the job was advertised in Skipton. If you do the Google distance/time from "Preston" it's 58 minutes, but from my postcode is between 1 hour and 1 hour and 5 minutes depending on the time of day.

I guess I have to suck it up, but it would be nice to know why I've been rejected, so I can avoid the same error next time..............August!

PS - just read all the entries above mine. Not an isolated case, then!

I live about 20 mins WALK from the station I applied to and I still got a rejection! Yes, you can be rejected for being too far away, but I’d imagine you would have had a rejection mail a while ago had it been for distance. I think TPE were just working there way down the list from the results of the online tests until they felt they had enough candidates to move forward, then sent out the lovely rejection emails! It was my first time doing those tests, so anyone with a bit of railway safety knowledge may well have been better at doing the SJT, or even had some help as they were done at home?? Just a thought, but it’s over for now, not keen on the 6 month thing but hey, that’s what they want..

Onwards...

CreamNCookies

sat my DMI today at York with TPE both managers alan and greg where excellent very impressed, praying I've done enough. Said ill find out back end of next week maybe, they didn't say when the courses would start as none of them know yet. so fingers crossed for everyone else who had their DMI too
Excited for you mate. How long were you in the interview for?

KJ83

Had the rejection email too, its my first time applying for a job since I got my current job 17yrs ago.

Does anyone know if TPE take on trainee drivers on a regular basis? yearly? not often?

Mike121

For anyone that has applied for Manchester... they are taking 8 trainees for Manchester Piccadilly over this year.

TeaTrain

I would say 8 has probably already had interviews!! I am going for my 2nd stage next week in Leeds.

Louby

they have just advertised for talent pool for qualified drivers in quite a few areas

8J

It is worth noting that some of the candidates interviewed in Manchester were for Liverpool and Preston depots as well.

Moose27

12 in Manchester alone??? Wow

Moose27 you did it!! Awesome!!

I did! Thanks!! Hope your process goes smoothly.

Well done! Do you know when you start training yet?

No, no medical or start date just yet. I have emailed to ask for a ball park date as I want to be fair to my current employer and give as much notice as possible. It’s slightly sad to be leaving them, but a huge opportunity!

Yabba

It is worth noting that some of the candidates interviewed in Manchester were for Liverpool and Preston depots as well.
When I went to my interview in Manchester, because I stated that I am prepared to move, they asked me what I thought about Liverpool. That makes more sense now.

They didn't say anything about Preston though but I would move around there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.