• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shearer9

I went through the process for TPE and was waiting on the final interview when COVID struck. After a year of being on hold I got told that the vacancy has been pulled a few days ago and it is closed. Thankfully with passing the assessments early in 2020 I applied for Northern a few months ago and I'm now in the application being considered stage.

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat and waited a year to have the plug pulled?
I completed everything including DMI interview. I have had no contact at all in relation to the job. What depot did you apply for?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TeaTrain

That’s a shame. I am surprised they are pulling the plug with the upgrades on the horizon.

CreamNCookies

In the same boat as you with regards to waiting on the final interview, but I didn't even get that email from TPE to say it's been pulled. I also passed the tests and interview for a different role with TPE.

Personally I feel communication isn't strong on TPE side, which is ironic as this role requires good communication.

CreamNCookies

That’s a shame @CreamNCookies. Did you manage to get onto the railway in the end?
I haven't sadly. But it isn't getting me down.

I have an interview next week for another trainee role (different toc). So my fingers are crossed that with my second attempt of a DMI I can use my experience and get through. Although TPE is the toc I'd choose if I were ever given the opportunity.

TeaTrain

I hope it goes well for you! I am still shocked they pulled it as they are about to do some major upgrades and then more than likely advertise again!

CreamNCookies

I hope it goes well for you! I am still shocked they pulled it as they are about to do some major upgrades and then more than likely advertise again!and as
As soon as they readvertise, I'll be there to apply again haha.

Tell me though, is it as exciting as you thought it may be?

TeaTrain

Even better to be honest. I am doing my second lot of front end turns now and I can honestly say I will be doing this for the rest of my life.

The knowledge you require is something to be proud of and the sheer skill from my DI, knowing every little thing for hundreds of miles of line is frankly astounding. He just celebrated more years than I have been alive. And another half lol.
Keep going you won’t regret it!

dzdoris

Even better to be honest. I am doing my second lot of front end turns now and I can honestly say I will be doing this for the rest of my life.

The knowledge you require is something to be proud of and the sheer skill from my DI, knowing every little thing for hundreds of miles of line is frankly astounding. He just celebrated more years than I have been alive. And another half lol.
Ahhh this makes me even more excited to start...didn't know that even was possible! :D

CreamNCookies

You're giving me the feels there.

I come from a family of British Rail era people, and the stories I hear all the time from then when talking about their experiences is very nostalgic.

I'll get there in the end, i'm just slightly delayed.

TeaTrain

Indeed you will get there! It’s been a ridiculously hard time to get on the railway as it is.

Columbo87

I completed everything including DMI interview. I have had no contact at all in relation to the job. What depot did you apply for?
I put in for Hull and Scarborough and got filtered for Hull.

I only found out the vacancy had been pulled cause I emailed them asking for an update. I then asked if Hull was now closed could I be considered for Scarborough. At that point I was informed it was a company wide restructuring decision for a number of depot positions and to consider re-applying in the future when they advertise again.

But I've also been told a training course has just started so I think that they most likely filled the vacancies where some depots were really short and pulled vacancies where depots were not struggling as much.

Got another 4 years on the psychometric tests and now being sifted for another TOC so I'm not down and out yet. Just a shame it got pulled at the 11th hour so to speak.

Last edited:

TeaTrain

Unfortunately the 5 years does not count for many TOCS anymore. Most accept 2-3 years before resitting them. Although I may be wrong!
They just started a guards course but not a new drivers course unless it’s somewhere other than the hub or Manchester Pic hotel like the last two groups.

BoroAndy

What is going on? Did anyone get onto training for Scarborough? Now they want a qualified driver but will allow relocation, which could take ages. Nearest depots for any TOC are at least an hour away. Has anyone in this forum advanced for a Scarborough job?

TeaTrain

There is no one for Scarborough on our course. There was a course just before ours which could of.

DunfordBridge

What is going on? Did anyone get onto training for Scarborough? Now they want a qualified driver but will allow relocation, which could take ages. Nearest depots for any TOC are at least an hour away. Has anyone in this forum advanced for a Scarborough job?

Not me, I stumbled at the joystick test because my pass mark was not high enough for their enhanced standard. I have been trying for Scarborough driver for years. Best part about it, I live within walking distance of the station, in fact it is sometimes possible to hear the class 68s from my place.

Columbo87

Unfortunately the 5 years does not count for many TOCS anymore. Most accept 2-3 years before resitting them. Although I may be wrong!
They just started a guards course but not a new drivers course unless it’s somewhere other than the hub or Manchester Pic hotel like the last two groups.
Maybe TPE honour the 5 years. At least in the email they said the scores were valid for 5 years but I hope I'm not having to keep trying for that long if I can help it.

TeaTrain

TPE do not honour the five years. I had completed them to enhanced 2 years and 2 days prior with Virgin Trains and I was asked to retake them as I was over the two year period.

I don’t wish on anyone to have to retake them again! It’s pretty nerve wracking!

Columbo87

TPE do not honour the five years. I had completed them to enhanced 2 years and 2 days prior with Virgin Trains and I was asked to retake them as I was over the two year period.

I don’t wish on anyone to have to retake them again! It’s pretty nerve wracking!
That seems very contradictory. The email from TPE HR says the scores are valid for 5 years so I'd like to think they would honour that.

I think I might keep that email handy just incase. ‍♂️

It does seem each TOC has it's own little quirks on acceptance of the assessments.

TeaTrain

Nope I’m sure they will want you to resit them well within 5 years. Most TOCs will need them to be done within 2-3 years. The 5 years is the general validity but that doesn’t mean TOCs will accept it.

desrudy

On Moderation
Nope I’m sure they will want you to resit them well within 5 years. Most TOCs will need them to be done within 2-3 years. The 5 years is the general validity but that doesn’t mean TOCs will accept it.

Yeah that's quite annoying

danners430

It's been all quiet on the western front... so just out of curiosity, is anyone else still waiting to hear back and holding out hope?

TeaTrain

There is no more for Man Pic as far as I am aware. At least from my batch of interviews.
We are into our driving hours now.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more vacancies at some point though as it may be that a good few will be leaving in the next year.

mechanic2

With regards to the most recent recruitment effort from TPE; are people currently in a pool with them or do we think they will re-advertise the trainee role again in the near future?

Shearer9

Having gone through the process and passing everything for Manchester I have no idea if there is a talent pool or not. I presume there was a talent pool of sorts. However further up the thread someone mentioned the job had been pulled at certain depots (if not all). I have tried with HR to find out what was happening, with little success though.

Tally In

Having gone through the process and passing everything for Manchester I have no idea if there is a talent pool or not. I presume there was a talent pool of sorts. However further up the thread someone mentioned the job had been pulled at certain depots (if not all). I have tried with HR to find out what was happening, with little success though.
Shearer9 I am at the same stage as you. I have also contacted HR with no success. I was informed due to covid I am on a reserve list. Here's hoping for us all.

RHolmes

Focus has shifted from recruiting new drivers to training existing ones ready for the Dec timetable uplift and TRU blockades

All driving instructors are either busy with current trainees, diversion training/learning for the TRU upgrades or traction training for the Nova fleet

Shearer9

Out of the blue, a couple of weeks ago I had had a phonecall from TPE and I have a starting date for a course later this month. Just a quick question regarding uniform, it gives the option of polo shirts or more formal shirts, or a mixture of both. Just wondering what others have ordered and would recommend?

Fokx

Out of the blue, a couple of weeks ago I had had a phonecall from TPE and I have a starting date for a course later this month. Just a quick question regarding uniform, it gives the option of polo shirts or more formal shirts, or a mixture of both. Just wondering what others have ordered and would recommend?

Most drivers wear the polo option, I’d guess at around 85-90%.

Polo option is to be worn with the Harrington jacket, and the blue shirt and tie option is to be worn with the long raincoat if that helps influences your decision

8J

Most drivers wear the polo option, I’d guess at around 85-90%.

Polo option is to be worn with the Harrington jacket, and the blue shirt and tie option is to be worn with the long raincoat if that helps influences your decision

Either can be worn with the long raincoat. The blue button up shirt is to be worn with a blazer officially.

Status
Not open for further replies.