• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbob1984

Just heard I've passed the telephone interview. What tests will I be expecting and anyone got any links to info/ways to practice?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Septus

Just heard I've passed the telephone interview. What tests will I be expecting and anyone got any links to info/ways to practice?

You be invited to attend stage 1 assessments. (if it is like FGW process) Once you pick a date on the system of when you want to attend, they send you the 2no nice booklets via email for you to practise. If you want further info do a search of these forums, plenty of info readily available.

Also don't make the mistake that some on my FGW stage 1 did....they didn't read their email correctly and assumed all tests would be done on that 1st day. They panicked and ended up cramming all the practise in for all the tests.

DunfordBridge

Lol same here... even when I get calls on my mobile and I go off to answer it. I get the 'questioning looks'. :lol:

I am expecting a bright light to be shone in my face when I am off work next time along with the presence of several menacing implements.

Bluebri

I have just taken the full assessment with northern and the best advice I got, was to look through the practise booklet and be familiar with the tests, but to concentrate on practising the group bourdon. Download the tool from this site and print off the paper sheets as it's the pencil and paper that is currently being used. Aim to get your accuracy spot on then slowly build your speed. The other tests are almost impossible to directly practise, not to mention that the tests themselves are not exactly like the examples, so just get the jist. Getting a bop it from eBay was a good shout too. Is about exercising your brain in the right way. Simple Simon is also quite good I believe.
Most importantly, make sure you are well rested and alert otherwise it will be very difficult to perform your best on the day.
Good luck.

Jimbob1984

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated. I had got to interview stage with northern in January but failed the interview- first professional interview got the best of me and nerves screwed me up haha. Just feeling the fear of the 2 attempts only rule so want to be as best prepared as possible!

bmc1604

Hi there how long did you have to wait to be told you had passed the telephone interview? Curious as I was told it could be up to 4 weeks. In saying that it's probably up to 4 weeks to be told I didn't make it

Jimbob1984

Well that's surprised me!! Had the congrats email and invite to assessment! Being a realist (or pessimist) I'm unsure as an external I have a chance but I suppose you have to be in it to win it!!

Just give it your best shot!

I presume the assessment dates will fall under a Monday-Friday business hours? My current employer has no idea I've been applying and they are trying to get me to work extra shifts at the moment so I'm making myself available all weekends but trying to keep mon-fri day times clear. Really don't want to tell them I'm applying unless I get a job as they are the type of company that will reduce your contract to 0 if you make waves that your leaving

pwig

Right so the bit I didn't think I did well on (The online test) I passed, yet the bit I thought I did well on (phone interview) I didn't.

D'oh! :(

Fred Dinenage

Sorry to hear that mate. Did you get the " Mmm, mmmm! " bit from him / her whilst you were answering? Hope you're in for other jobs and have better luck with those.

pwig

Yeah but they were really positive mmhmms which made me think I was doing well!

The thing is my current job is customer facing and very much customer service based, I even get paid a bonus on customer satisfaction!

So I don't know why I had a thanks but no thanks! Wonder if I can get some feedback somehow

Bluebri

I would say you now than likely nailed the customer service element based on your experience. I think on the motivation side of things they may have been looking for trigger words. If you think about the role, although customer service is important, elements that are important to being a driver include things like safety, shift working, concentration for long periods, lone working, crisis management, mechanical comprehension, fault finding and problem solving to name but a few. I doubt whether anyone could or would hit all of this in a15 minute interview but at the same time, as people here have felt, the person on the other end isn't really listening to you and is merely looking for key phrases or words. I can't back that up with any empirical evidence, but I can't see how a 15 minute telephone interview can tell anything about anyone really.

Crossforth

Established Member
Just for curiosity's sake, (I haven't applied) what kind of things do they ask you in these telephone interviews?

Bluebri

It's a competency based interview. Think more 'what motivates you to want to become a driver? ' or'what demonstrates good customer service? '. You will need examples too, Best to use the star technique. I.e. Situation, Task, Actions, Result.
Hope that helps.

DunfordBridge

So I don't know why I had a thanks but no thanks! Wonder if I can get some feedback somehow

I have already requested feedback and received a resounding no, volume of applications and all that.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yeah but they were really positive mmhmms which made me think I was doing well!

The thing is my current job is customer facing and very much customer service based, I even get paid a bonus on customer satisfaction!

I would say you now than likely nailed the customer service element based on your experience. I think on the motivation side of things they may have been looking for trigger words. If you think about the role, although customer service is important, elements that are important to being a driver include things like safety, shift working, concentration for long periods, lone working, crisis management, mechanical comprehension, fault finding and problem solving to name but a few. I doubt whether anyone could or would hit all of this in a15 minute interview but at the same time, as people here have felt, the person on the other end isn't really listening to you and is merely looking for key phrases or words. I can't back that up with any empirical evidence, but I can't see how a 15 minute telephone interview can tell anything about anyone really.

Interesting concept, trying to cram in as many keywords as possible.

I do disagree with one point, however. The interviewer was certainly listening as she asked me to expand on certain points such as my motivation for helping someone.

Bluebri

I have already requested feedback and received a resounding no, volume of applications and all that.

Interesting concept, trying to cram in as many keywords as possible.

I do disagree with one point, however. The interviewer was certainly listening as she asked me to expand on certain points such as my motivation for helping someone.

I understand where you're coming from. I didn't necessarily mean they were literally not listening, just that they are under pressure themselves to capture trigger points or words in the time frame. The whole concept seems strange in that the interviewer seems under as much pressure add the interviewee.

Boxcar Willie

Afternoon. New here obviously. Thought I'd register to at least say thanks for the good advice on here as it came in really handy late last night when I was preparing for my phone interview with FTPE, which I had this morning. Pretty scary, the whole thing. But it all went by in a bit of a blur, to be honest. Don't think I've gotten through though. :|

Kenni

Had my phone interview today, those 20 minutes seemed like 1. Fingers crossed.

callum112233

I felt mine went really well, but I failed it. Compared to my first ever phone interview a few months ago, it was 10 times better.

Can you request feedback?

DunfordBridge

Had the interview at 16:30 yesterday afternoon. Got the e-mail at around 08:45 this morning :cry:

At least they do not mess around.
I felt mine went really well, but I failed it. Compared to my first ever phone interview a few months ago, it was 10 times better.

Can you request feedback?

My understanding is that feedback is only on offer for those who passed the telephone interview. Probably would not be many takers as you would be more bothered about preparing for stage 1 assessments.

baldyman26

I've heard nothing at all so I take it I won't get any further than the test stage.
Well done to everybody who has - good luck..

Onwards and upwards !

Kenni

I had the 'congratulations' email this morning too. FTPE HR are certainly on the ball.

andylloyd

Cheers, the only issue that i'm the only one 'not' on holiday so i've gotta do my whole shift :cry:

As if things were that easy lol.
:(

Heard back from the lovely First Group on Monday.
Managed to resend me an invite for today. Got the 1700 slot booked.
Fingers crossed :D
Now the waiting game commences :oops:

Titanfall

Well done to everyone who passed the phone interview. I also got my email today saying I have passed. What depot has everyone applied for??

Star62220

Hello, long time lurker first time poster! Had my telephone interview yesterday and got an email today saying I was through to the next part! To say I'm over the moon to get this far is an understatement! How has everyone found the process so far?

EchoCharlie

Hello, I'm also a new poster. Had my telephone interview yesterday and found out I passed today. Looking forward to the next stage now. Does anyone know how many posts they are recruiting for? I meant to ask this at the end of my telephone interview.

Also, I know train driving is a male dominated career, are there any other females who've applied?

Status
Not open for further replies.