• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE WCML service changes from May 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I initially thought that the line would have been closed between Birmingham and Crewe/Warrington Bank Quay, as the timings from Wigan North Western and Preston northwards are the times normally from/via Birmingham.

Also, would First Class be at the buffer end upon arrival at Glasgow Central, or will it be arranged beforehand to have it at the London end of the train as normal?

driver_m

Established Member
I initially thought that the line would have been closed between Birmingham and Crewe/Warrington Bank Quay, as the timings from Wigan North Western and Preston northwards are the times normally from/via Birmingham.

Also, would First Class be at the buffer end upon arrival at Glasgow Central, or will it be arranged beforehand to have it at the London end of the train as normal?

Yes, unless the train is brought in wrong way round in the first place. Often will leave them for a day or two the wrong way round. Usually on New St services leaving via Soho/Perry Barr direction. They'll be turned somewhere though in time.

MDB1images

Liverpool to Glasgow services have now been amended in the data uploadlly it is worthy of note that 2012 Liverpool Lime Street to Oxenholme Lake District, which had been due to call at St Helens Central, Wigan North Western, Preston and Lancaster has not been withdrawn. This implies this is a part of a diagram which will continue to run even if the Glasgow services cannot. But then who knows. They are currently selling that train though.

Don't think that will run as it stands, would imagine it will commence with all the Liverpool services.
No TPE train crew sign Wigan NW to Liverpool as it stands so for it to happen route learning would need to rapidly start, you never know but it would be cutting it fine.

Mathew S

Established Member
Don't think that will run as it stands, would imagine it will commence with all the Liverpool services.
No TPE train crew sign Wigan NW to Liverpool as it stands so for it to happen route learning would need to rapidly start, you never know but it would be cutting it fine.
It would only be Springs Branch to Huyton they'd need to learn though, wouldn't it? Alternatively, TPE could run it via Newton, and stay on lines that their crews sign already.

TBSchenker

Preston TPE crew, who will work the new Liverpool -Glasgow services, only sign the Chat Moss from Manchester to Parkside Jn and then towards Golborne Jn north on the WCML. They will have to sign Liverpool - Springs Branch Jn, and Liverpool-Newton-le-Willows/Lowton Jn .

Eastern TPE crews sign the full Chat Moss but will not be signing towards Wigan as they will not be signing the 397s that will operate the WCML electrics .

driver_m

Established Member
It would only be Springs Branch to Huyton they'd need to learn though, wouldn't it? Alternatively, TPE could run it via Newton, and stay on lines that their crews sign already.

Small problem is the St Helens Central stop though. It's not the hardest line to learn either. Should think would take too long for Liverpool crews to learn it. Anyone off Northern on here know how long Huyton-Wigan takes?

TBSchenker

Liverpool TPE crews will not be signing the traction (350/397s) that will operate the new services. Whilst it will initially be operated with 185s (reportedly), long term the 397s will work it. Only Preston TPE crews will sign the route, and they need the entire route from Lowton Jn & Springs Branch Jn to Liverpool.

AndrewE

Established Member
... and the one that doesn't is the 0659 departure! Thanks for pointing it out, I was tempted!

driver_m

Established Member
Liverpool TPE crews will not be signing the traction (350/397s) that will operate the new services. Whilst it will initially be operated with 185s (reportedly), long term the 397s will work it. Only Preston TPE crews will sign the route, and they need the entire route from Lowton Jn & Springs Branch Jn to Liverpool.

How long do we think that will last before Liverpool has a set stuck on Lime St with plenty of lime St drivers available but no Preston one? Seems a very silly thing to do.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Via Golborne.
Don't expect fireworks, two of these have 25 minutes of pathing time before Wigan!
I'm trying to get my head around why its put in the schedule as it is, there is no need for it to be spread as the train is never going to keep to that. It has 1T51 and 1C52 in the other train ahead of it at Golborne which it is following but its still an awful schedule.

driver_m

Established Member
I'm trying to get my head around why its put in the schedule as it is, there is no need for it to be spread as the train is never going to keep to that. It has 1T51 and 1C52 in the other train ahead of it at Golborne which it is following but its still an awful schedule.

I've just looked at that, it could stop at every station and keep to time! Is it not accidently been timed for a 142!?? 27m to St Helens Jn is terrible.....

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I've just looked at that, it could stop at every station and keep to time! Is it not accidently been timed for a 142!?? 27m to St Helens Jn is terrible.....

The 0739/0942 do catch up with the xx28 Crewe stopper before Newton le Willows.
But you wonder why they have to leave Lime St so early, with pretty much all the same clockface times every hour.
The 0659 has a much better run, leaving just before the 0703 Warrington stopper.

MDB1images

Road learning for guards starts on Monday for Wigan-Liverpool via both routes so some movement in a positive direction.

driver_m

Established Member
Had a response from my MP regarding the new services from Liverpool and the poor stopping pattern. Been told Merseytravel are very unhappy with the proposals and aren’t accepting what has been proposed. It was also brought up with the Rail Minister. To say the response was rubbish from him though... All I can say it it was a typical politicians response which not only failed to actually answer the question about the stopping pattern but went on far more about the stopping pattern in the Lake District, and also stated TPEs preference for the bigger car park at Lea Green than St. Helens Junction, which is wrong by 50 spaces. Plus on street parking too. I was probably naive in expecting anything to change, but it seems alternative facts are now the norm with this Govt. Morons.

xtradj

20:24 Lime St to Newcastle

Is this now not running to Edinburgh from May 2019?

I believe they are all extended from December but this one service was due to extend from May however it’s disappeared from RTT

Kieran1990

20:24 Lime St to Newcastle

Is this now not running to Edinburgh from May 2019?

I believe they are all extended from December but this one service was due to extend from May however it’s disappeared from RTT

There isn’t the rolling stock free to even implement the daily services up/ down to Edinburgh regardless of them being late night LIV-EDG early EDG-LIV. The delay to MK5’s has pushed it back

Glenn1969

Established Member
RTT shows this service and the 0517 Edinburgh- Liverpool return working from 9th Sept Northbound and 10th Sept Southbound. Guess that date could change again though

td97

Established Member
RTT shows the calls at Bolton not starting until Monday 29 July.
That service was a STP path for 5/7 only, quite clearly displaying a pick-up only call at Bolton
"Bolton | a. 21:37½ d. 21:39(21:39) | 4 | Stops to take up passengers"
If you prefer the RTT link, the bolded WTT departure time indicates a pick-up only call

Greybeard33

Established Member
That service was a STP path for 5/7 only, quite clearly displaying a pick-up only call at Bolton
Sorry, I should have followed the link in your old post that you linked in your previous post!

BTW, you can quote from a locked thread by doing a copy and paste then adding QUOTE tags, thus:
td97 said:
...à la 1S92 21:05 Manchester International Airport to Glasgow Central High Level
(Although this was added before the ESR removal)
Blackpool - Manchester Electrification #9951

Do you know the reason that one-off call at Bolton was scheduled?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Do you know the reason that one-off call at Bolton was scheduled?

Like running the LHCS for one service from Manchester to Manchester Airport (that was it, wasn't it?) it was no doubt so that TPE had complied with the letter of their franchise agreement, something they seem to be rather better at than complying with the actual spirit of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.