• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tracking Loco/MU mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inversnecky

Didn’t see anything on a search, so here goes:

Our cars have mileometers, and it got me wonder how TOCs keep track of service of their traction stock?

I've never heard of a mileometer on a loco (at least the old diesels), so how do or did the likes of BR keep track of how much distance diesels, say, covered?

Did the TOPS database allow extraction of mileage for each train, as it recorded positioning of stock?

Was servicing based on distance travelled, monthly date, as required?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Didn’t see anything on a search, so here goes:

Our cars have mileometers, and it got me wonder how TOCs keep track of service of their traction stock?

I've never heard of a mileometer on a loco (at least the old diesels), so how do or did the likes of BR keep track of how much distance diesels, say, covered?

Did the TOPS database allow extraction of mileage for each train, as it recorded positioning of stock?

Was servicing based on distance travelled, monthly date, as required?
I believe that the diagrams had calculated mileages or you could calculate mileage from the diagrams, at least there must have been some way of saying that the longest HST diagram was XX miles, the longest 47 diagram XX miles and so on.

Though maintenance exams were based on hours worked rather than distance travelled so I suppose there was no real need to calculate mileages as such.

For diesel locos the engine hours were also part of deciding when a certain exam had to be performed but there was an allowance of about 10% to accommodate loco positions etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.