• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trackside cabinet question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sutty

Hi,

Every time I pass through Smethwick Galton Bridge (Lower Level) I often wonder something, but I'm too slow on the uptake to get my camera out. There are a number of cabinets with what looks like a speaker or horn on top of them.

Why would a cabinet need a horn? I've never heard them sounding when I've gone past on a train with an open window.

Thanks,

A nosy commuter.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railsigns

Established Member
It was a system that the signalman operated to alert the signalling technicians that their presence was required, should they be out and about on the trackside. I've heard it called the "cuckoo".

civ-eng-jim

Or it could be a Train Operated Warning System (TOWS) which is linked to the signalling system and, when switched on, alerts track workers to an approaching train.

Trog

Established Member
If it is a big trumpet shaped speaker it will be a cuckoo, there used to be three different notes played depending on which of the three engineering departments the signalman wanted to speak to.

carriageline

Established Member
We have one on a LOC behind a box I sign, always wondered what it was for! Although, surely that's a strange place to put one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sutty

Brilliant. Thanks for the video, emblematic and everybody else for your replies!

Is it just that there's no financial need to remove it where I've seen it, or is it still in use? Now I've watched that video the sound is very familiar. Maybe something as a child I thought was a level crossing sound.

MarkyT

Established Member
Is it just that there's no financial need to remove it where I've seen it, or is it still in use?

I doubt it's still in regular use with modern communication methods available, although radio coverage in the station and tunnels might be patchy so it just might have been retained operational as a backup perhaps? If out of use the external fittings would probably not be removed unless they were causing other problems. If removed from cabinet mountings the sounders might leave behind holes that would need to be plugged for instance. Circuit fuses may be removed, and wiring disconnected further at various points, but is often not stripped out entirely from old trunking where pulling it out might cause damage to other circuits. Any unterminated wire ends left loose in wire runs should be properly insulated with crimped end caps.

sutty

That makes a lot of sense. Lots of details I hadn't thought of.

Status
Not open for further replies.