• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train cancelled - compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

piccadilly

Good evening.

I travelled today from Warrington to Honiton on the following routes:-

Warrington to Birmingham New Street
Birmingham New Street to Exeter St David’s
Exeter St David’s to Honiton

The trip was very smooth apart from the fact that the 15.25 train for the Honiton leg of the journey i.e. London Waterloo train was cancelled at short notice citing a train fault.

So the journey was delayed for an hour as we had to catch the 16.25.

This didn’t particularly bother me as I was nearly home.

Some of the passengers informed they will make a claim against the train company for the delay - and encouraged me to also make a claim.

It Is unlikely that I will make a claim - and if I do I will give the monies to charity.

But what exactly can I claim for? the total cost of my return ticket was £101.75.

Kind Regards,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Good evening.

I travelled today from Warrington to Honiton on the following routes:-

Warrington to Birmingham New Street
Birmingham New Street to Exeter St David’s
Exeter St David’s to Honiton

The trip was very smooth apart from the fact that the 15.25 train for the Honiton leg of the journey i.e. London Waterloo train was cancelled at short notice citing a train fault.

So the journey was delayed for an hour as we had to catch the 16.25.

This didn’t particularly bother me as I was nearly home.

Some of the passengers informed they will make a claim against the train company for the delay - and encouraged me to also make a claim.

It Is unlikely that I will make a claim - and if I do I will give the monies to charity.

But what exactly can I claim for? the total cost of my return ticket was £101.75.

Kind Regards,
You can claim for an hour's delay, which is 50% of your return ticket, in this case £50.86.

piccadilly

This is more than I thought it was only the last leg of the journey that was delayed - I had already travelled with Avanti (I think) and Cross Country.

So the cancellation applies to the ticket cost for the whole journey?

piccadilly

Thanks I will claim then I think and donate the money to charity - I don’t suppose there are any rail charities?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Thanks I will claim then I think and donate the money to charity - I don’t suppose there are any rail charities?
Railway children is a railway related charity, but there are also lots of heritage railway groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.