• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train collides with vehicle and derails in a tunnel in Taiwan, at least 34 dead, 2-4-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

2HAP

A passenger train collided with a vehicle obstructing the line at the entrance to a tunnel in Taiwan and derailed. At least 34 people killed.

At least 34 people have died and 70 remain trapped after a train carrying around 350 passengers derailed inside a tunnel in Taiwan.

Local media say the eight-carriage train hit a construction vehicle that had slipped onto the tracks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ZJ517

A passenger train collided with a vehicle obstructing the line at the entrance to a tunnel in Taiwan and derailed. At least 34 people killed.

This seems like a repeat of the Selby crash, albeit involving a much heavier vehicle and at what can possible the worst possible location, right at the mouth of a tunnel. The train involved is actually a family of the Hitachi A-train. Local media now reported that 48 have deceased with more remain trapped in the first two carriage. Horrendous.

LAX54

Established Member
The BBC News site, says 'worst train crash in decades' then goes on to say the last one, where 18 were killed was in 2018 ! (and another in 1991 where 30 were killed and 112 injured)

Wolfie

Established Member
The BBC News site, says 'worst train crash in decades' then goes on to say the last one, where 18 were killed was in 2018 ! (and another in 1991 where 30 were killed and 112 injured)
The BBC are accurate sadly. If over 40 people are dead in this crash it is definitely worse than the two other accidents which you cite. They didn't say the only accident in decades which is how you appear to be taking it.

LAX54

Established Member
The BBC are accurate sadly. If over 40 people are dead in this crash it is definitely worse than the two other accidents which you cite. They didn't say the only accident in decades which is how you appear to be taking it.
I would argue that 18 is almost as bad, but to say first serious in decades is incorrect, however, they have now realised their error and altered it !
It is now ' the last major derailment was in 2018 which killed 18 and injured 187'

ac6000cw

Established Member
Looks like another 'accident' caused by a stupid driver, as at Great Heck.
From the BBC report:

Images show a large, yellow flatbed truck lying at the side of the tracks. A construction project has been under way near the north end of the tunnel.
It is not known how the vehicle slipped down the embankment.
...so we don't know if the vehicle was actually being driven at the time, or where it's come from.

Wolfie

Established Member
I would argue that 18 is almost as bad, but to say first serious in decades is incorrect, however, they have now realised their error and altered it !
It is now ' the last major derailment was in 2018 which killed 18 and injured 187'
The text that you quoted in post#3 said "worst" and not "first". If it had said the latter l would have wholeheartedly agreed with you.

father_jack

A report on twitter says the driver of the digger hadn't engaged the "emergency" brake.

Crane truck driver questioned by police over fatal train accident​

04/02/2021 05:25 PM

1024x665_250353928335.jpg

Taipei, April 2 (CNA) Local police are questioning the driver of a crane truck that is believed to have slid down a hillside and blocked the path of a moving train heading south in Hualien County on Friday, leading to an accident that caused the deaths of at least 48 people.
The driver, surnamed Lee (李), was still being questioned by Chungte police as of 4 p.m. Friday, according to the Xincheng Precinct of the Hualien County Police Department.
Police department commissioner Tsai Ting-hsien (蔡丁賢) said the crane truck was parked on a hillside road close to the construction site of a tunnel for the northbound rail line.
The road hovers above the southbound track, and authorities suspect that the driver parked the vehicle without engaging the emergency brake, Tsai said.
Photo courtesy of the New Taipei City Fire Department

Photo courtesy of the New Taipei City Fire Departmen
The truck began to move on its own and eventually slid down the hill and landed on the track, before being run into by the ill-fated southbound Taroko Express train as it was about to enter the Qingshui Tunnel on Taiwan's eastern coast, Tsai said.
The collision led the first five carriages to lose control inside the tunnel and pile up. The front carriage was completely destroyed, while other carriages at the front of the train were badly twisted out of shape.
As of 4 p.m., 48 people, including the train's driver, had been confirmed dead and 66 were said to be injured, according to National Fire Agency data.
The 45-year-old Lee owns one of the contractors involved in the tunnel construction project, police said.
He parked his crane truck with the license plate 775-TX at around 7 a.m. Friday at the construction site, located not far from the Daqingshui Recreation Area where the new and old Suhua Highways converge.
The ill-fated train was the No. 408 Taroko Express train, which set off from Shulin Station in New Taipei at 7:16 a.m. and was headed to Taitung County in southeastern Taiwan with about 350 passengers on board, police said.
(By Chang Chi, Tyson Lu and Elizabeth Hsu)

LAX54

Established Member
The text that you quoted in post#3 said "worst" and not "first". If it had said the latter l would have wholeheartedly agreed with you.
Yes, conceded :) agree with that, it was the way I read it ! :)

WatcherZero

Established Member
The train was heavily loaded with a lot of people standing but I wonder if another contributor to the high casualty rate was the seating. The seats were in longitudal pairs facing outwards towards the windows with a corridor down the centre of the carriage, a seating arrangement ive never seen before. In a head on collision the seating would do nothing to protect the passengers from the deceleration.

0_Dozens-killed-as-Taiwan-train-derails-in-tunnel-Hualien-02-Apr-2021.jpg

Ediswan

Established Member
The train was heavily loaded with a lot of people standing but I wonder if another contributor to the high casualty rate was the seating. The seats were in longitudal pairs facing outwards towards the windows with a corridor down the centre of the carriage, a seating arrangement ive never seen before. In a head on collision the seating would do nothing to protect the passengers from the deceleration.

I have seen video of trains trains where pairs of seats can be spun round so they are always facing forward (a bit like hinged backs on early trams). Maybe this is the system here and, under the unusual circumstances, turning the seats sideways creates a wider gangway.

Ploughman

Established Member
From the BBC report:
Images show a large, yellow flatbed truck lying at the side of the tracks. A construction project has been under way near the north end of the tunnel.
It is not known how the vehicle slipped down the embankment.

...so we don't know if the vehicle was actually being driven at the time, or where it's come from.
I get the impression that rather than an actual crane on track we may have a Road Rail Excavator and Trailer or more likely just the Trailer.
This may be what has been mentioned upthread as having slid down onto the track.

stuu

Established Member
I have seen video of trains trains where pairs of seats can be spun round so they are always facing forward (a bit like hinged backs on early trams). Maybe this is the system here and, under the unusual circumstances, turning the seats sideways creates a wider gangway.
This makes sense to me, I have been on similar Japanese trains where the seats do that. Google images shows these trains with airline seating, not facing outwards

Beebman

This Taiwanese TV news report has some very clear video of damage to the track behind and underneath where the last cars of the train came to rest:

ZJ517

These type of rotating seats are common in Taiwan, but I believe they can only be locked in either a forward or backward facing position only. In that photo, it actually looks like they were turned in such a way to give a wider gangway for rescuers to move up and down the carriages.

M-Train

From Coruscant-upon-Pearl to North Acton....
This took many coincidences to happen; it was on a holiday (nothing to do with Easter) so nobody should have been at the PW site. The lorry was moved by the foreman, who came himself for a quick inspection. The site was small and could have simply been walked, but for convenience he drove; spring turns quickly to summer in Apr-May in this part of the world. When he left the vehicle, there was a flat spot where he could have parked, but he parked on a slope. With less practical experience behind the wheel than the usual platelayers, he either forgot to pull the handbrake all the way, as we have mostly heard, or the handbrake was pulled without the lorry being in gear. Alternatively, as the official inquiry suggests alongside the possibility of negligence, it may have been brake failure; the lorry was about 20 years old.
Hopefully the wreckage can offer some answers.....

This is probably not the accident train; that was newer. This would more likely be another nearby train diverted for the rescue.

Last edited:

This took many coincidences to happen; it was on a holiday (nothing to do with Easter) so nobody should have been at the PW site. The lorry was moved by the foreman, who came himself for a quick inspection. The site was small and could have simply been walked, but for convenience he drove; spring turns quickly to summer in Apr-May in this part of the world. When he left the vehicle, there was a flat spot where he could have parked, but he parked on a slope. With less practical experience behind the wheel than the usual platelayers, he either forgot to pull the handbrake all the way, as we have mostly heard, or the handbrake was pulled without the lorry being in gear. Alternatively, as the official inquiry suggests alongside the possibility of negligence, it may have been brake failure; the lorry was about 20 years old.
Hopefully the wreckage can offer some answers.....

This is probably not the accident train; that was newer. This would more likely be another nearby train diverted for the rescue.

A few years ago a platform was being resurfaced / rebuilt in the UK. A dumper truck was being used on an island platform. The dumper truck ended up on an open line with a train coming at 100mph but, fortunately, signal checked for a level crossing so was already braking upon sighting the dumper truck and stopped short; previous night it was not signal checked and went through at 100mph

Apparently the dumper truck was being driven by a worker not authorised to drive that type of dumper truck. He jumped on, used it, jumped off, walked away and it rolled. The plant the driver was used too had auto brakes apparently, this dumper truck required a manual brake to secure it and was left on a slight slope. No RAIB investigation required apparently as it was obvious what had happened. Don't touch things / versions you don't have a piece of paper to say you are competent to use.

M-Train

From Coruscant-upon-Pearl to North Acton....
Charges are now being prepared against the contractor; legal experts have expected a sentence not exceeding 5 years, on the basis that it was manslaughter, and in Taiwan it is the number of deadly acts (one in this case) rather than the number of lives lost which counts.

subk2010

Now 50 people died and there are 400+ people injured in this accident. It's absolutely a shame that they didn't learn anything from their previous accident!
It was reported that the assistant driver of this train who lost his life in this accident was a train enthusiast. What a pity! He could have been a very good driver.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If the reports are true, it seems to be yet another railway disaster caused by a Stupid Motorist
Railway infrastructure subcontractor working within a railway project worksite. I suggest that’s very different to a random third party (as in our infamous ECML incident)...

JaJaWa

Established Member
My good friend and her cousin lost their lives in this crash.
Additionally, the two American fatalities were on a scholarship programme with my classmate.

I hope that the four of them did not suffer any pain, and that meaningful change comes of this.

Rest in peace
Emily Chen
2002-2021

Laryk

My good friend and her cousin lost their lives in this crash.
Additionally, the two American fatalities were on a scholarship programme with my classmate.

I hope that the four of them did not suffer any pain, and that meaningful change comes of this.

Rest in peace
Emily Chen
2002-2021

I’m very sorry to hear that.

I do hope this is a catalyst for change as well. It certainly feels like people have been hit harder by this incident than previous TRA incidents (or any other disaster caused by negligence in Taiwan).

I think many Taiwanese know someone who was either on train 408 or who could have been. Personally I was on one of the following trains that morning. I know someone who was booked to travel on 408 but woke up late.

Hopefully this will hit home to many and see an end to the chabuduo attitudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.