• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Database 2020

BenW390Fan

Lovely to see the work going into this. I love the addition of the images - it makes it easy to see at a glance which unit is in which livery. The amount of work which has gone into this and which I expect swill continue to go into this is brilliant! :D Just shows what a group of like-minded people can accomplish.

Also - happy birthday @BenW390Fan!

-Peter
Thank you so much! It definitely does, Joel is a gem

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BenW390Fan

Update 16.2

- @Joel_F has done a phenomenal job on adding the icons / images to the Class 170's, once again denoting the 2 car and 3 car formations too

BenW390Fan

Update 18.1

- Hats off to @Joel_F for adding all of the 171 and 172 icons / images to the database, all distinguishing their different coach length formations!

BenW390Fan

ah nice, any ideas on what units/locos are next?
Thanks, I'm not quite sure yet. If I'm carrying on in order it will be the 52's and 320's but that depends on how much time I have. If I don't have that much time then I'll just put something like the 68's or 88's in

markymark2000

On Moderation
Rather than putting in column between data, why don't you just adjust the column width so it fits the information in? This would look a lot neater than having the 2 column spacing.

Also, not sure on the Google Sheets limitations but you could firstly look at 'holding' the column titles so as you scroll, you can always see the column titles. Also, perhaps look at a drop down list for each class so people don't have to scroll for miles to find the class they want.

BenW390Fan

Rather than putting in column between data, why don't you just adjust the column width so it fits the information in? This would look a lot neater than having the 2 column spacing.

Also, not sure on the Google Sheets limitations but you could firstly look at 'holding' the column titles so as you scroll, you can always see the column titles. Also, perhaps look at a drop down list for each class so people don't have to scroll for miles to find the class they want.
Hi, some of the column spaces are there temporarily whilst we sort out the icon spacing and whatnot but once that's sorted we'll keep it in mind. I was thinking of that and I can see why you'd want that, I'll take a search on Google and if I find anything I'll give it a go. Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated :)

BenW390Fan

I'm probably going to move onto the 52's and 320's next and I was wondering how many of you would benefit from having info on scrapped 52's? i.e. the ones from BR days in their scrapped state, like the 50's on the database

CW2

Established Member
Class 50 wiki page
For the class 50 section, you might usefully cross-check your list with the class 50 Wikipedia page. That confirms which ones have been scrapped - and which can therefore be deleted from your list.

BenW390Fan

Class 50 wiki page
For the class 50 section, you might usefully cross-check your list with the class 50 Wikipedia page. That confirms which ones have been scrapped - and which can therefore be deleted from your list.
I intended on putting the scrapped ones there as a trial to see if the older info could be of any use to anyone

CW2

Established Member
I intended on putting the scrapped ones there as a trial to see if the older info could be of any use to anyone
OK - it depends on what use you expect people to make of this list. (Many thanks for all the work you've put into it, by the way). Personally I would prefer to keep the list to those locos which still exist. Otherwise you will end up trying to list everything that has ever been built, which may be an unnecessarily large task. For example, if you include scrapped 50s, then why not scrapped 47s, scrapped 55s, scrapped 37s, scrapped 25s .. and so it goes on.
I'd recommend keeping the list as simple as possible, otherwise it will become unmanageable.
Cheers!

BenW390Fan

Update 20

- Added Class 320's

As always, any incorrect info then please let me know

OK - it depends on what use you expect people to make of this list. (Many thanks for all the work you've put into it, by the way). Personally I would prefer to keep the list to those locos which still exist. Otherwise you will end up trying to list everything that has ever been built, which may be an unnecessarily large task. For example, if you include scrapped 50s, then why not scrapped 47s, scrapped 55s, scrapped 37s, scrapped 25s .. and so it goes on.
I'd recommend keeping the list as simple as possible, otherwise it will become unmanageable.
Cheers!
Thanks, I can agree with you too. It takes weeks trecking across Flickr, heritage railway websites and other sites trying to find older info so I suppose it's less gain than what it's worth. If there's any modern stock that has recently been scrapped (say within the past 5 years) then I'll count that as out of service so that could make it onto the list, anything else will stay out

The_Train

Established Member

I assume that you are talking about freezing the row with all of the column titles in. This is absolutely possible in Google Sheets in the same way that it is in Excel, but Ben is having to publish his spreadsheet to the web before sharing it and unfortunately this doesn't take the freeze frame function (along with many others) with it. The only way for Ben to provide a sheet with this function working would be to link to the actual spreadsheet, but as I have commented on before, this leaves it wide open for people to copy and paste his work

Established Member
All the 317s shown as London Overground are off lease and returned to ROSCO. I presume they are still largely cluttering up Wembley Yard with a few ex-GA unwanted ones too. 315833/859 are on lease to LO though and should be returning to traffic imminently.

Peter C

Established Member
If it's of any use - I don't know if you're recording face mask liveries as separate liveries or just variations - but GWR's 800321 has been given a yellow and orange face mask. Source: GWR Twitter.

-Peter :)

hst43102

I'll add the face masks onto the livery images when I get to those classes...which hopefully won't be too long!

Brilliant work!

One small error I've noticed is that there are some three car 165, but the icons in the database show them all as two car.