• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Database 2020

BenW390Fan

Just a note as well, the public sheet can take up to 5 mins to update so updates may not be visible instantly

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
All in all a very good database and a love the little pictures!

Just a couple of things:
156417 is now 156917 and in service. All the 156/9 except 156902 are the EMR outgoing livery.
180109 and 180113 is also part of EMR like 180110/111.

BenW390Fan

All in all a very good database and a love the little pictures!

Just a couple of things:
156417 is now 156917 and in service. All the 156/9 except 156902 are the EMR outgoing livery.
180109 and 180113 is also part of EMR like 180110/111.
Thanks for the kind comments :) . You'll have to thank @Joel_F for the pictures!

I'll change the 156's now, thanks for the info. I wasn't aware nearly all of them were in the new livery

BenW390Fan

Update 8

- Updated EMR 156/9's, 156417 being renumbered and liveries changed on other units, courtesy of @43055

I can't confirm that the rest of the 156's are up to date, as with other locos / units. The most up to date lists will say when they were last updated, the most recent ones I have updated are the Class 37's which were last updated today. I'll try to eventually update all the lists when possible.

aleggatta

Thanks for the kind comments :) . You'll have to thank @Joel_F for the pictures!

I'll change the 156's now, thanks for the info. I wasn't aware nearly all of them were in the new livery
I do miss the old page, and I'm loving what you have done so far. All I have to add is opinions and praise and feel free to ignore one, both or neither as you feel necessary!

Whilst this might already be on your to do list, it would be great for the headings to be repeated after every change in class, or is it possible to 'Freeze frames' the top row so as it always appears? I lose track with what is the operator and what is the livery!

Also, The key and credits seem very... out of the way? I'm not sure if it's just the default zoom on public viewing making it very easy to forget about the right hand side of the spreadsheet?

But a great database nonetheless. Are there any plans to go full vehicle numbers?

BenW390Fan

I do miss the old page, and I'm loving what you have done so far. All I have to add is opinions and praise and feel free to ignore one, both or neither as you feel necessary!

Whilst this might already be on your to do list, it would be great for the headings to be repeated after every change in class, or is it possible to 'Freeze frames' the top row so as it always appears? I lose track with what is the operator and what is the livery!

Also, The key and credits seem very... out of the way? I'm not sure if it's just the default zoom on public viewing making it very easy to forget about the right hand side of the spreadsheet?

But a great database nonetheless. Are there any plans to go full vehicle numbers?
As always, I highly appreciate feedback so it's more than welcome. Thanks for the kind words too, glad people like it :D

I'm not quite sure what you mean by making the heading repeated after a change in class, nor freeze frames - apologies!

Regarding the credits, I didn't really have anywhere else to put them. I'm trying to find a better spot for them, I'll update you if I find a better spot. I do admit though the public sites of google sheets are a pain to navigate, all I can do is apologise for that. If there's a workaround then I'm more than happy to do my best.

Full vehicle numbers are something that I very likely won't do, Trainlogger have a database of vehicle numbers on their site I believe, they're listed in the credits :)

BenW390Fan

Update 9

- Added a dedicated Credits page but also kept the credits on the right hand side of each page, like before

aleggatta

As always, I highly appreciate feedback so it's more than welcome. Thanks for the kind words too, glad people like it :D

I'm not quite sure what you mean by making the heading repeated after a change in class, nor freeze frames - apologies!

Regarding the credits, I didn't really have anywhere else to put them. I'm trying to find a better spot for them, I'll update you if I find a better spot. I do admit though the public sites of google sheets are a pain to navigate, all I can do is apologise for that. If there's a workaround then I'm more than happy to do my best.

Full vehicle numbers are something that I very likely won't do, Trainlogger have a database of vehicle numbers on their site I believe, they're listed in the credits :)

Apologies, probably my bad explaining!

So, example here attached: Its confusing what column relates to what detail without scrolling back up to the top of the page, so could the column titles be repeated on the first line after the next class of train.

When I was referring to 'Freeze Frames', it is a feature on excel that allows you to lock a certain number of columns/rows so that they always appear wherever you scroll around the spreadsheet, so you always have the column/row reference on show

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 22.42.01.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 22.42.01.png
    633.3 KB · Views: 27

BenW390Fan

Apologies, probably my bad explaining!

So, example here attached: Its confusing what column relates to what detail without scrolling back up to the top of the page, so could the column titles be repeated on the first line after the next class of train.

When I was referring to 'Freeze Frames', it is a feature on excel that allows you to lock a certain number of columns/rows so that they always appear wherever you scroll around the spreadsheet, so you always have the column/row reference on show
I've got the column repeated so that it stays on the top of the page no matter what but it's not on the public sheet for some reason, I'll try and get it on there

BenW390Fan

Currently trialling what I'm assuming is what @aleggatta requested - as well as the big column headings on the top of each page, I've added a column heading at the beginning of each class of train. I might only trial these on a few locos / units, let me know what you think :)Screenshot_1211.png

The_Train

Established Member
Good work on this @BenW390Fan - it's a long slog getting the data input isn't it? :D

I assume you are using the 'Publish to Web' feature of Google Sheets to allow others to access your data (certainly looks like it) and the problem with this is that it doesn't bring across all features. I am working on a similar database (albeit with plenty of differences to yours) and I have tried to use the 'Publish to Web' a few times but so many of the features I have set up (freeze frames, borders, notes, to name a few) don't work when using that function (I would post an example but wouldn't be fair on your thread). The only way to keep all functions working (in your case to freeze columns/rows as per what the user above is asking) is to actually share your spreadsheet but at the moment I am not willing to do that at the moment because I have another project ongoing which runs alongside my spreadsheet and it also opens up the possibility of people using CTRL+C and CTRL+V to steal your idea :lol:

hst43102

Currently trialling what I'm assuming is what @aleggatta requested - as well as the big column headings on the top of each page, I've added a column heading at the beginning of each class of train. I might only trial these on a few locos / units, let me know what you think :)View attachment 78329
What he means is to lock the headings at the top of the page so they appear everywhere as you scroll. If you don't know how to, I can do it...

BenW390Fan

Good work on this @BenW390Fan - it's a long slog getting the data input isn't it? :D

I assume you are using the 'Publish to Web' feature of Google Sheets to allow others to access your data (certainly looks like it) and the problem with this is that it doesn't bring across all features. I am working on a similar database (albeit with plenty of differences to yours) and I have tried to use the 'Publish to Web' a few times but so many of the features I have set up (freeze frames, borders, notes, to name a few) don't work when using that function (I would post an example but wouldn't be fair on your thread). The only way to keep all functions working (in your case to freeze columns/rows as per what the user above is asking) is to actually share your spreadsheet but at the moment I am not willing to do that at the moment because I have another project ongoing which runs alongside my spreadsheet and it also opens up the possibility of people using CTRL+C and CTRL+V to steal your idea :lol:
Thanks, it is a very long process! I realised doing the share function does allow people to make copies which is something that I definitely didn't want - half a year to waste isn't very fun
What he means is to lock the headings at the top of the page so they appear everywhere as you scroll. If you don't know how to, I can do it...
Yeah that'd be great, thank you

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Congratulations on doing such a good Ben as a replacement for ABRail and to the others who have helped you.

hst43102

Thanks, it is a very long process! I realised doing the share function does allow people to make copies which is something that I definitely didn't want - half a year to waste isn't very fun

Yeah that'd be great, thank you
I'll give a few things a small tidy up.

BenW390Fan

We've moved some columns around to make it more fitting, more particularly putting the livery icons next to the livery column just so it makes a bit more sense and that's it's in view without having to scroll to the right. Names of trains you'll have to scroll to the right for. Let us know what you think :)

Also updated the credits

On Moderation
Obviously there's a lot of work going into this!

Some observations, if I can:
- it would be useful to have a column for the owner.
- it might be worth having a set of "rules" as to how vehicle statuses are changed (e.g. how is an operational preserved loco shown - "In service" or "preserved"?).
- off-lease vehicles could do with some consistency. On the locos sheet they show with their former operator, on the EMU sheet they show with the vehicle owner (e.g. the 319s). Personally I find the former owner approach confusing - it muddies the waters as to what is in an operator's fleet.
- be consistent on how you show scrapped vehicles. If you show all Class 50s, then show all 37s, 47s etc.

BenW390Fan

Obviously there's a lot of work going into this!

Some observations, if I can:
- it would be useful to have a column for the owner.
- it might be worth having a set of "rules" as to how vehicle statuses are changed (e.g. how is an operational preserved loco shown - "In service" or "preserved"?).
- off-lease vehicles could do with some consistency. On the locos sheet they show with their former operator, on the EMU sheet they show with the vehicle owner (e.g. the 319s). Personally I find the former owner approach confusing - it muddies the waters as to what is in an operator's fleet.
- be consistent on how you show scrapped vehicles. If you show all Class 50s, then show all 37s, 47s etc.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll try an answer as much as I can truthfully

- I can't find consistent info for the owner of every train unfortunately, so I don't want to have it for some trains and not others

- That's my fault, admittedly it's not very clear so I'll just clear that up now:
Preserved locos / units (marked with a blue strip) are usually marked with in service or preserved. If I can't find enough suitable and confirmed info that a train is in service on a preserved railway but it's preserved by that railway then I'll mark it down as preserved. If I can find enough info to confirm that it's in service on the heritage railway / site (i.e. by checking the heritage railways' loco lists on their website) then I'll mark it down as in service. You'll know it's in service on a heritage railway by the blue strip//

- Locos such as the 50's that are marked as out of service then I'll put the operator it had before it was sent off to scrap, I've tried my best to ensure that it's like that with all the other units and locos too. Converted vehicles such as the 319's are marked as the vehicle owner as they're the ones that are converting it (as far as I'm aware, apart from ROG). Unfortunately I don't have enough information on what operator each converted 319 will go to once they are converted. Once I have that info I'll update it where possible. I've tried to put the number of the 769 that it will be converted to based on my knowledge where I can.

- I've shown all the Class 50's as I had enough information for all of them, unfortunately I don't for the rest so it was a one off unfortunately.

Hope that clears it up :)

43 302

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback, I'll try an answer as much as I can truthfully

- I can't find consistent info for the owner of every train unfortunately, so I don't want to have it for some trains and not others

- That's my fault, admittedly it's not very clear so I'll just clear that up now:
Preserved locos / units (marked with a blue strip) are usually marked with in service or preserved. If I can't find enough suitable and confirmed info that a train is in service on a preserved railway but it's preserved by that railway then I'll mark it down as preserved. If I can find enough info to confirm that it's in service on the heritage railway / site (i.e. by checking the heritage railways' loco lists on their website) then I'll mark it down as in service. You'll know it's in service on a heritage railway by the blue strip//

- Locos such as the 50's that are marked as out of service then I'll put the operator it had before it was sent off to scrap, I've tried my best to ensure that it's like that with all the other units and locos too. Converted vehicles such as the 319's are marked as the vehicle owner as they're the ones that are converting it (as far as I'm aware, apart from ROG). Unfortunately I don't have enough information on what operator each converted 319 will go to once they are converted. Once I have that info I'll update it where possible. I've tried to put the number of the 769 that it will be converted to based on my knowledge where I can.

- I've shown all the Class 50's as I had enough information for all of them, unfortunately I don't for the rest so it was a one off unfortunately.

Hope that clears it up :)
I think 43096 was referring to locomotives that are preserved but are in active mainline use e.g. 37418 or 37025. Could be mistaken though.

BenW390Fan

Hi all, I'm stuck on what loco or unit to update next as I'm not sure what train needs updating the most or what there's more demand for. Please do let me know :)

hst43102

Hi all, I'm stuck on what loco or unit to update next as I'm not sure what train needs updating the most or what there's more demand for. Please do let me know :)
I'd do AC electric locos as there aren't that many of them and they should be relatively easy to do. Or Class 60s :)

43 302

Established Member
I'd do AC electric locos as there aren't that many of them and they should be relatively easy to do. Or Class 60s :)
I agree with the AC locos, Class 68s would be good too.

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
One thing I consider on mine is which units are likely to be scrapped en masse next and I try to get these input before scrapping to make it easier to follow the scrapping process and thus making your updates easier. Otherwise you are chasing old information

BenW390Fan

I agree with the AC locos, Class 68s would be good too.
I am definitely looking forward to the AC electrics, plenty of variety in them
One thing I consider on mine is which units are likely to be scrapped en masse next and I try to get these input before scrapping to make it easier to follow the scrapping process and thus making your updates easier. Otherwise you are chasing old information
Yeah I agree with AC electrics, best to get 86s done now than after freightliner disposes of them.
Yeah you're probably right, I'll work on locos & units that are going for scrap soon before I start work on other ones

The_Train

Established Member
Also, just a tip based on my experience, consider how much time you have available when you sit down to start updating and if you have a fair chunk of time look to get classes with hundreds of locos out of the way - I broke the 66 class down into their sub classes which helped but it still took me ages to complete them. And as for the 08 shunters - give yourself a good few hours and be prepared to see '08' appear every time you close your eyes afterwards :D

On the other hand, if you've only got a short amount of time then just focus on getting the smaller fleets done - 88s for example will only take you 15 minutes but its another class available to everyone :)