• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train delayed due to a late departure whilst the train was cleaned specially

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Hello all. Well you get various reasons for trains being delayed but on XC's JourneyCheck, I found the 15:35 from Bristol Temple Meads to Edinburgh has been delayed at Birmingham New Street and is now 16 minutes late due to a late departure whilst the train was cleaned especially. Today this was.

I'm not faulting XC for the dirtiness but something must have been dirty on the train to the point of being a health and safety hazard for the train to be delayed. Just shows that XC want the best for it's passengers no matter what people might say about them!

Just out of curiosity, what could it have been?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
It's difficult to guess what it could be related to don't you think?

causton

Established Member
Often you don't want to know - usually involving unwanted bodily fluids such as blood in places you don't want them!

This time however, it is not quite as interesting:

"Cleaner required at New Street to attend to broken glass in the carriage."

It's difficult to guess what it could be related to don't you think?

I wouldn't have guessed that to be honest.

dk1

Veteran Member
It could be the cab. Traincrew can refuse to take a train during the current situation if they want the area thoroughly cleaned before departing or changing over.

Established Member
It could be the cab. Traincrew can refuse to take a train during the current situation if they want the area thoroughly cleaned before departing or changing over.
It wasnt and the traincrew would have to do it themselves.

Antman

Established Member
Hello all. Well you get various reasons for trains being delayed but on XC's JourneyCheck, I found the 15:35 from Bristol Temple Meads to Edinburgh has been delayed at Birmingham New Street and is now 16 minutes late due to a late departure whilst the train was cleaned especially. Today this was.

I'm not faulting XC for the dirtiness but something must have been dirty on the train to the point of being a health and safety hazard for the train to be delayed. Just shows that XC want the best for it's passengers no matter what people might say about them!

Just out of curiosity, what could it have been?

Possibly somebody having been sick or some sort of spillage of something or maybe related to the Covid-19...... whatever the reason it's not particularly unusual.

dk1

Veteran Member
It wasnt and the traincrew would have to do it themselves.
Was just saying it could. My TOC has had several insisting it's done on changeover. Almost always done at major terminus stations. Crews do not have to do it.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I've been informed that the "cleaning" was the removal of broken glass rather than of the bodily fluid nature.

Established Member
Fair enough but I doubt anyone would argue at that TOC if it was insisted upon.
The cleaners are not allowed into the cab. Every cab has cleaning supplies located in it, so if the driver wants it cleaned then they'll need to do it themselves, whilst the limited number of cleaners get on with doing other things.

PupCuff

Fair enough but I doubt anyone would argue at that TOC if it was insisted upon.

I can't speak for other TOCs but at mine there just aren't spare cleaners hanging around to do that - the existing ones and the additional ones brought in for covid stuff are all deployed out and about diagrammed where they're best utilised. As has been noted above, there are issues around who is permitted to access driving cabs too. Cabs (and trains) which are coming off shed having not been cleaned are being audited by management and dealt with but if it's becoming dirty during the day, the crew using that cab are expected to take their own responsibility for wiping over the controls etc before and after use with the equipment provided for that purpose.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Delay would have been much worse if someone had injured themselves on the broken glass, had to be taken off by paramedics and left the cleaners to deal with blood which would have had to be treated as a biohazard.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
As stated in the third post. Disorderly passengers smashing glass through the carriage.

I hope they pay for the damage and to CrossCountry for the inconvenience. 16 minutes late to me would be like wiping a bit of water off the table (as in 'Ah that's nothing :) ) but still that's I guess wasted time for the cleaners when they could be going about their daily cleaning routine.

dk1

Veteran Member
The cleaners are not allowed into the cab. Every cab has cleaning supplies located in it, so if the driver wants it cleaned then they'll need to do it themselves, whilst the limited number of cleaners get on with doing other things.
That is fair enough with XC if that's their policy but is certainly not the norm.

dk1

Veteran Member
I can't speak for other TOCs but at mine there just aren't spare cleaners hanging around to do that - the existing ones and the additional ones brought in for covid stuff are all deployed out and about diagrammed where they're best utilised. As has been noted above, there are issues around who is permitted to access driving cabs too. Cabs (and trains) which are coming off shed having not been cleaned are being audited by management and dealt with but if it's becoming dirty during the day, the crew using that cab are expected to take their own responsibility for wiping over the controls etc before and after use with the equipment provided for that purpose.
Every TOC is different. Mine has cleaners in abundance now doing everything possible to ensure everyone is happy.

irish_rail

Established Member
Not if the incoming driver goes sick with Corona symptoms. I'd say there would most definitely be an army of cleaners doing a deep clean then.

dk1

Veteran Member
Not if the incoming driver goes sick with Corona symptoms. I'd say there would most definitely be an army of cleaners doing a deep clean then.
Our cleaners are waiting to blitz the cab environment at every arrival.

irish_rail

Established Member
Our cleaners are waiting to blitz the cab environment at every arrival.
Same on GWR both at Penzance Plymouth and Paddington. Have to say I think GWR are (finally) doing an excellent job with covid management and I have no complaints and feel safe at work. Let's hope the foot doesn't come off the pedal over the coming weeks so keep up the good work please GWR. Certainly down here in the south west there has been virtually no sickness related to Covid certainly amongst drivers and TMs.

dk1

Veteran Member
Same on GWR both at Penzance Plymouth and Paddington. Have to say I think GWR are (finally) doing an excellent job with covid management and I have no complaints and feel safe at work. Let's hope the foot doesn't come off the pedal over the coming weeks so keep up the good work please GWR. Certainly down here in the south west there has been virtually no sickness related to Covid certainly amongst drivers and TMs.
Same here. Was some at the start (nobody was surprised at some of the usual culprits) but we haven't had a single driver off for this now in weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.