• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Describer Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexNL

Established Member
Now that we're on the subject of Euston, what's the purpose of that little 'grid' next to the platforms? What do signallers use it for?

upload_2019-7-26_0-14-53.png

Now that we're on the subject of Euston, what's the purpose of that little 'grid' next to the platforms? What do signallers use it for?

View attachment 66225
Is it not the list of previous arrivals, that is usually in the box closest to the 'buffer stops'?
As for what it's usedfor- I imagine it is not very useful for anything apart from telling you what has just arrived (but not where)

Dren Ahmeti

View attachment 66225
It could either be the “scratch pad” for the siggie to put headcodes in temporarily, or the previous arrivals as @800002 stated; not too sure what Traksy uses from the NR feeds, as I could never wrap my head around it when I had access.

TheEdge

Established Member
I've noticed one Colchester signaller (he's on at the moment) has started using units rather than destination for shunt moves. *170, *755, 2156 for example.

LAX54

Established Member
I've noticed one Colchester signaller (he's on at the moment) has started using units rather than destination for shunt moves. *170, *755, 2156 for example.

Blimey! we cant do anything here without someone seeing ! lol

LAX54

Established Member

Whilst I am here: Ipswich 0T00 will be a loco off the Yard and to the 'Table' Road and 0C00 for a loco to the Carriage sdgs, some will change the 00 for the last number of the train eg 0T42 or 0C42 etc (off 4M42)

Think the real point here is the lack of explanation from someone who probably knows what's going on... ;)

As an aside: why do it that way?

(and of you can't - you're publically viewable! ;). Think yourself lucky you're not publically floggable! ...Oh, wait a minute :()

LAX54

Established Member
Think the real point here is the lack of explanation from someone who probably knows what's going on... ;)

As an aside: why do it that way?

(and of you can't - you're publically viewable! ;). Think yourself lucky you're not publically floggable! ...Oh, wait a minute :()

With the *170 thing, I am not sure if that was a move to the Point or not, but when *170 pops up in the TD berth at Crown Point, if it's an unscheduled move, then the Signaller will know exactly what is coming over, and where he can direct it, whilst there are of course many booked moves to the depot, and will go over as 5P70 or 5L16 etc, there are quite a few moves from A to A via B & C !
Of course putting 170 or 156 will also ensure the Signaller knows what he is moving if it has to stand for any length of time mid-move :)

The other common inout into the TD from 'The Point' is PLAT3 or PLAT4, which of course is self explanatory.

Thank you muchly.
Always nice to read why certain things pop up.
I can see a PLA6 currenty, in err #6 - but without replay icant see how it got there :(

With the *170 thing, I am not sure if that was a move to the Point or not, but when *170 pops up in the TD berth at Crown Point, if it's an unscheduled move, then the Signaller will know exactly what is coming over, and where he can direct it, whilst there are of course many booked moves to the depot, and will go over as 5P70 or 5L16 etc, there are quite a few moves from A to A via B & C !
Of course putting 170 or 156 will also ensure the Signaller knows what he is moving if it has to stand for any length of time mid-move :)

The other common inout into the TD from 'The Point' is PLAT3 or PLAT4, which of course is self explanatory.

LAX54

Established Member
Thank you muchly.
Always nice to read why certain things pop up.
I can see a PLA6 currenty, in err #6 - but without replay icant see how it got there :(

A brief replay
0006 *170 to CP
0017 5D98 ex Lowestoft runs to the Jubilee.
5P68 (DVT) has route from P1 to CP
0022 *170 goes from P6 to CP
0024 Shunt: PLT5 (from Middle Road to P5)
0030 P4 to LOWL (Low Level)
0040 Signaller puts what stock he has in the plats into the Berths (HSET and EMID)

Having said all that, could not see a PLA6 :) lol

HOOVER29

Currently showing at Burton on Trent on the freight only line to Leicester is SHUT EXAM & NEED.
I get the first one.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Currently showing at Burton on Trent on the freight only line to Leicester is SHUT EXAM & NEED.
I get the first one.
The line is shut, something is there which needs an exam or to be examined (a train possibly?). Don't forget the signaller's panel may have the berths in the opposite direction to what is displayed on other sites.

A brief replay
0006 *170 to CP
0017 5D98 ex Lowestoft runs to the Jubilee.
5P68 (DVT) has route from P1 to CP
0022 *170 goes from P6 to CP
0024 Shunt: PLT5 (from Middle Road to P5)
0030 P4 to LOWL (Low Level)
0040 Signaller puts what stock he has in the plats into the Berths (HSET and EMID)

Having said all that, could not see a PLA6 :) lol
That's brilliant!
I guess it could have PLT6 ;)

AlexNL

Established Member
I just spotted this on Traksy at Hanwell Bridge Loop:

upload_2019-11-20_13-16-36.png
Caption: train describer showing SCRE and WED in its berths.

:D

Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I have seen SWAN once before with Network Rail on-track staff trying to chase it down...

Status
Not open for further replies.