• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Describer Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

saxsux

Some odd ones in the Norwich area... JUBY, FUEL and RUNR. Any ideas what they might be?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rdeez

Yeah, it's like that most of the time.

I've found a few if anybody knows what they mean?
  • "1972" and "2016" at Rugely power station.
  • "BTET" at the Steel Works to the right of Crewe.

"1972" and "2016" at Rugeley Power Station are dates. Rugeley B power station was commissioned in 1972 and closed in 2016.

E_Reeves

Established Member
"1972" and "2016" at Rugeley Power Station are dates. Rugeley B power station was commissioned in 1972 and closed in 2016.
I did originally think it'd be something along those lines. I wonder how long the TDs will stay like that?

rdeez

I did originally think it'd be something along those lines. I wonder how long the TDs will stay like that?

Could be there until the track is removed, I suppose, if that ever happens? I know they're demolishing the station itself over the next couple of years with an eye on redevelopment of some kind.

On a side note, I visited Rugeley B PS once on a school trip just as a coal train was coming in and unloading. Definitely one of the most interesting school trips I had, I remember being amazed at how few staff it actually took to operate - just three staff in the control room and very few out and about "on the floor".

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
-LB- line blockage
-T3- possession
*123 possession number
3TT3 back to back possessions
*OOU out of use
WGNS wagons, no loco
**** with occuiped track section, train dropped its headcode
ZERO when a line is handed back after T3 on fringe signal boxes
WFFF waiting for first train or wheel free for testing

That’s most of the ones I use anyway - every signaller and box has its own.

AlexNL

Established Member
In the Southern region you might see *X** as opposed to just four stars. The meaning is the same though: the system thinks there's a train on the track but doesn't know which one.

TheEdge

Established Member
Some odd ones in the Norwich area... JUBY, FUEL and RUNR. Any ideas what they might be?

JUBY (also often seen as JUBB) is for moves heading towards the Jubilee Sidings. Those are the ones next to Platform 6. FUEL is for shunts using the fuel siding outside the station but the describer seems persistent in the siding itself, it seems to remain. RUNR and TURN are often used for light loco movements near Trowse, RUNR is normally for freight locos moving about Trowse Tarmac whereas TURN is for (normally) a 90 being turned via Trowse. Also there currently is LO-L, which is a unit heading to the Low Level sidings and **** which seems to be permanent in the loco neck. I've always assumed that just marks it as OOU.

_toommm_

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly also uses times of departures if the train isn't due out for a while - theres normally a 319 stabled at p12 in the day, with the signaller putting a time as its describer e.g. 1732

E_Reeves

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly also uses times of departures if the train isn't due out for a while - theres normally a 319 stabled at p12 in the day, with the signaller putting a time as its describer e.g. 1732
I've seen that in use quite a lot and I assume it's quite useful

Lockwood

Siggy has currently got "SHUT" at Newhaven Marine on the non-platform road.

Not seeing that on Traksy. Got a 4CAR and 12CR by Eastbourne though. BLOC+KED and SHUT on the Weymouth Quay line, though BLOC and KED are superimposed, making for fun reading

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I've seen 5VOY at Carlisle during disruption. Presumably a stabled 5 car Voyager.

LAX54

Established Member
That 0S00 is odd. I've noticed that shunts around Norwich often just get described as their destination (PL-5), also hauled sets staying in the station tend to be marked as STBL.

0S00 standard code for a shunt move when a TD will pop up at a box next door, but also used when just making a shunt within one panel.

cin88

Manchester Piccadilly, although some are Manchester area wide:

Axxx - a unit of X class
A 24 hour time is there to both remind the station panel signaller at MAN what he has on the platform and to remind station control (announcers) to display "front train only" on any departures leaving before that time, if they haven't already.
NOGO - line blocked or depot/sidings not accepting trains (usually longsight goods loop has this showing)
DMIC - broken down train
STBL - a unit being stabled
5S00 - shunts between station platforms, loops and vice versa. Usually for the eastern spur.
Pxxx - part of a headcode, again helps station control keep track of "front train only" notices, also helps TOCs keep track of what needs to be coupled up.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I presume the 4 character limit is so deeply embedded that increasing it so that more meaningful descriptions can be used is too difficult?

AndrewE

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly, although some are Manchester area wide:
DMIC - broken down train.
Does anyone know the origin of Demic? I've never been able to find out, so I am wondering if it is US forces slang from WW2 (or their telegraph code.)

Status
Not open for further replies.