• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Dispatch Concentration Test - TDCT

Status
Not open for further replies.

winks

Hi guys

I have been given a date for assessment for the role of Dispatcher, one of the tests is the TDCT, can anyone give me some advice/tips on this?

Is it fairly easy to pass?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Hi guys

I have been given a date for assessment for the role of Dispatcher, one of the tests is the TDCT, can anyone give me some advice/tips on this?

Is it fairly easy to pass?

It's hard but not impossible, just do your best to answer the questions as best as you can.

I've done it last year and it's not something I want to do again in a hurry but saying that, I've learnt from the experience.

Train Dispatch Concentration Test - TDCT

The TDCT assesses an applicant’s ability to concentrate on two tasks at once. This is a key safety-critical task required of Train Dispatch employees who must be able to make sound and safe decisions about operations but also need to provide information to customers when asked.

The TDCT has two parts. Part 1 involves candidates listening to a recording with different sequences of signals. They must decide if the sequence is correct and whether the train may therefore depart.

In part 2 the candidate must complete a similar task as in part 1, whilst also dealing with customer enquiries using a reference sheet. This part of the test gives a critical insight into the candidate’s ability to effectively multi-task in an open customer facing environment and how effectively he/she can remain focused on accurate operational decisions and prioritising safety tasks at all times. Failure to concentrate effectively could result in a train being dispatched incorrectly.

Materials include a CD or tape recording, answer booklet, candidate information sheet, acetate scoring key and a profile form. A practice test is also available.

Also, take a look at the main page which covers all the tests that you could do:

http://www.theopc.co.uk/tests/station/index.jsp

oldrailman

Hi all, I did train despatch at BHM New St for 12 years finishing in 2001. I never came up against the TDCT. I was tested on dispatch as part of my 6 monthly Rules and Regs check to make sure I carried out all the train dispatch stages in correct order and on time while having to assist any passengers who happened to come by. It did certainly call for concentration! Never heard it referred to as TDCT, although times and safety awareness have changed drastically. Anyway, good luck Winks, sure you'll hack it!

Aictos

Established Member
Hi all, I did train despatch at BHM New St for 12 years finishing in 2001. I never came up against the TDCT. I was tested on dispatch as part of my 6 monthly Rules and Regs check to make sure I carried out all the train dispatch stages in correct order and on time while having to assist any passengers who happened to come by. It did certainly call for concentration! Never heard it referred to as TDCT, although times and safety awareness have changed drastically. Anyway, good luck Winks, sure you'll hack it!

Being assessed on your Rules and Regulations is done I believe 6 months after passing out then every 2 years with unannounced checks being made as well.

TDCT as I stated above is nothing to do with assessing you once you've passed your Rules and Regulations but rather something that has been brought in the last year or so to see if candidates are suitable or not for the position, when I came onto the platforms in 2007 I didn't have to do this test but when I applied for a supervisor's position I did so I think it's only been in the last year or so that it's been introduced.

winks

Think I'll be OK, passed a technical understanding test with Southern last year and that was pretty testing! Got a B so just hope that I pass and shine through on interview.

:D

toxyboy

Hi, I did one with First Great Western almost 2 Weeks ago, what you will hear is an audio tape where Despatch staff are working on a station and you will hear a sequence where they will say:

Train Ready to Depart
Whistle
Horn

You have to mark Yes or No if the sequence was correct- beware and listen carefully as they mix the sequence around which would make it wrong and they will also put in a Car Horn instead

The Second part you have to answers 50 Questions back to back with no pauses in between- they include the same thing but the Despatch staff are asked questions by customers at the same time and we were given a Sheet with a map of stations that we used to check the information that the customers asked, the key to this is listening to make sure the sequence is right first (as this is Safety Critical- the assessor explained that this is the most important part) and then try to answer the question as well this will be in the form of a Multiple choice answer to the customers question next to where you mark if the sequence is right or wrong.

Beware and listen carefully as you may find that the Despatch staff dont say the full- Train is ready to depart and some of the customers cannot be heard properly- but remember that the most important point is that you get the sequence that the Despatch staff say, that's the most important part.

Good luck.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
it's easy to pass but only if you concentrate, which you will need for the job when you're trying to dispatch a HST with someone bickering in your ear about when the next train to x is or having a pop at you. Really, just concentrate, I had to do maths questions as well and they were harder than the actual train dispatch test in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.