• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Driver Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
That’s got a lot to do with the experienced hands throwing their DI tickets back on the DMs desk after being screwed over.

Sadly there will always be people who don’t/won’t see the risk to their career when offered a few each grand to become DIs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Sadly there will always be people who don’t/won’t see the risk to their career when offered a few each grand to become DIs.

Somebody has to do the job. There will always be those who do it just for the money and the same can be said for those who go out and work their rest days.

There is a risk when becoming a DI and that risk isn't for everyone but a few high profile incidents doesn't mean the job is all risk and no reward. I am very grateful to those who do step up.

slidingdoors

From memory of looking on the Aslef site on the TOCs where it’s mentioned.. It only seems around 2k ish extra to be a trainer? It does seem a small increase for the risk others are saying it entails. That’s probably what 80-100 quid a month net? You’d expect an a instructor to get a healthy (or at least slightly more tempting) premium over a driver.

ComUtoR

Established Member
From memory of looking on the Aslef site on the TOCs where it’s mentioned.. It only seems around 2k ish extra to be a trainer? It does seem a small increase for the risk others are saying it entails. That’s probably what 80-100 quid a month net? You’d expect an a instructor to get a healthy (or at least slightly more tempting) premium over a driver.

In no way, on this planet, is it worth the money. Pretty much you can consider the money to be little more than a rest day each month. At my TOC; I can't think of a single DI who is there for the money.

The 'risk' is a myth.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Could always do what they did with signallers and just make it part of the contract that you have to train new starters if required, whether you want to or not...

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Could always do what they did with signallers and just make it part of the contract that you have to train new starters if required, whether you want to or not...

To a degree the trainee suffers under this policy, it’s not much fun being with someone who makes it quite obvious they really don’t want you there.

lammergeier

To a degree the trainee suffers under this policy, it’s not much fun being with someone who makes it quite obvious they really don’t want you there.

On the other hand, as long as minding isn't forced on those who don't want to do it, it means the minders are those who want to do it and are not just trying to make a few extra quid. Seems to work well at my former TOC as there's usually enough folk who want to do something different and who find the process rewarding.

choochoochoo

Established Member
It might have been discussed elsewhere on these forum, but I don't understand why the DI role cannot have a separate Trainer's Licence to their Driving Licence. Therefore if an incident occurs during training a trainee it doesn't affect the trainer's driving licence. That would dilute some of the risk that deters a lot of potential DIs.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I disagree entirely! How can it not be riskier?

I too am a bit perplexed by this comment.

We have had a few high profile incidents. One of which caused a huge backlash from the DI grade. Many handed their licenses back. At the other TOC I work with there has been calls for the DIs to get a separate license because of incidents. There will always be an incident of some sort but there are actually relatively few that occur with your Instructor.

Instructors are constantly monitoring their Trainees and yes they do mess up but you normally catch it or see it happening before the Trainee does. That constant monitoring and instructing means you are less likely to have an incident. Drivers tend to have incident when their concentration slips or they get distracted. With a Trainee you are constantly looking out for everything.

Weirdly the Trainee can also prevent an incident. You have two eyes in the cab and speaking with many Trainees they will tell you a few stories where they noticed something that their DI didn't.

When you have a Trainee there is a point where it is a high risk. That moment is when you have trust in your Trainee and tend to let them have more control. This comes from overconfidence in your Trainee and you forget that you are still in control over the train.

There is also a case of 'Workload Management' An Instructors workload can actually decrease over time. They are often off the roster for static days and spend time route learning so your off roster taking trains off people. This reduces your workload.

You also spend a lot of time teaching. Your rules, traction and routes go through the roof. That constant repetition increases your skills. Increasing skills, reduces incidents.

You also spend a lot of time actually doing it right and very strictly by the book. Those Swiss cheese holes are less likely to occur because you are constantly showing your Trainee how to do it the right way.

And, if your TOC is doing it right, the more experienced Drivers and those with a more professional attitude etc are the ones who get the job.

There is 'risk' but no where near what crew room gossip reports. Don't get me wrong I know more than one DI who jacked it in because they didn't want to risk their license anymore. I certainly believe that this is more to do with the way DIs are treated and that there should be an acceptable level and understanding of the risks involved; hence the second license.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.