• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train driver allowed to use colour corrective lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlionhart

There are other colours that need to be observed than the signal aspects. Such as door interlock colours, (every traction has a different variation), aws sunflower, trains onboard systems. (TCMS)
Even more risky if you’re DOO and you have to use the dispatch cameras or platform cameras/mirrors.

As far as I’m aware, any form of colour blindness isn’t permitted. It does suck, but that’s how it is...
It would be great if operators outlined this at the start of application until someone gets to a medical to be told ‘no’.

For anyone following this thread, I recommend a separate hearing or eye test before application to save your time if you have doubts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

heedfan

It's very simple. Can you pass an Ishihara test? If so, you would pass a medical. If not, then you would not.

Stigy

Established Member
So if your mildly colourblind are the glasses not acceptable.
If you’re colourblind to the extent that you fail the Ishihara test (or whatever test they use), and/or you require corrective lenses, you wouldn’t meet the standard.

Qualcomm745

On Moderation
I'm red Green Colourblind which I think is the most common colourblind of them all. At the moment I don't struggle to see any signals or interlock colours. But sometimes I think that it's a bit unfair how you can wear normal glasses but not vision corrected glasses. But then I could be wrong. I'd like to hope in the future that you become a driver even with Colourblind

heedfan

I'm red Green Colourblind which I think is the most common colourblind of them all. At the moment I don't struggle to see any signals or interlock colours. But sometimes I think that it's a bit unfair how you can wear normal glasses but not vision corrected glasses. But then I could be wrong. I'd like to hope in the future that you become a driver even with Colourblind

Try an Ishihara test. Then you will know. If you can't do it, challenge the RSSB yourself about it. Shouting into the void on here about how unfair it may seem will change nothing.

Stigy

Established Member
Having to wear glasses for distance vision is different to colour vision. I can see perfectly with my glasses on, and there’s no “grey areas” is it were, about sighting signals or other infrastructure etc such as signal plates/track workers/different types of hi-vis clothing/all manner of different railway signage, often with graffiti covering it.

With colour vision, I’d imagine nobody ‘really’ knows the extent of it other than the person with the defect. The only similarities come with prescription sunglasses, as I mentioned above.

Last edited:

Qualcomm745

On Moderation
I've tried it enough times to know that 2 out of 38 plates I could not see. Best option I guess is to go to drive on the London underground

Stigy

Established Member
The online Ishihara test
To be honest, if you think it’s that borderline, apply and see how it goes, but be prepared to fail at the medical, which is the very last hurdle. It’s a risk and would be very frustrating, but you have nothing to lose in trying.

Qualcomm745

On Moderation
I can see what you mean though. Probably not the best idea to apply and Im already prepared to fail the medical. So probs not the best idea really

PupCuff

So I what I really don't get (and this sounds like a contradiction) but why do colourblind people still apply to become train drivers if it's not possible. And so it is possible to become a driver with corrected colour glasses but has to meet a certain standard.

No. The current standard does not permit a train driver to operate on the mainline with defective colour vision, the quote is upthread, I shared it earlier.

That said standards do change as things are challenged and as new medical evidence comes to light; things won't change unless they are challenged, it's clearly something you're passionate about so I certainly would never fault anyone for trying to push through change. The reality of it is though there's a bigger chance of the challenge failing than succeeding - that doesn't mean you can't try, though.

Qualcomm745

On Moderation
Thanks for the tip. I won't try and challenge the railway any time in the future as I wouldn't have sufficient evidence or a tracked record to show that glasses actually work. And tbh I wouldn't see the railway changing any of their rules about vision anytime soon.

LowLevel

Established Member
A friend of mine sees the world in various shades of grey. However he has always been able to differentiate perfectly between colours and shades and if I point something out to him he can correctly identify the colours. It is interesting how it affects people in different ways.

Qualcomm745

On Moderation
Mine just affects the green red colours alothough in day to day things j can differentiate between the shades of the two colours. Maybe it worsens over time.

ComUtoR

Established Member
As far as I’m aware, the TOC/FOC isn’t required to foot the cost of a second pair of glasses. Maybe some do, but mine certainly doesn’t.

I've never heard of a TOC getting people to pay for their Railway Issue glasses.

Sunglasses I can understand as you are allowed to wear your own sunglasses but the company still issues you a pair for free.

(I don’t think it’s unreasonable since I can’t wear the issued sunglasses and will require polarised lenses :D).

Odd... May I ask why ? As to polarised. I didn't think they were allowed ? I haven't checked the sunglasses standard for a couple of years tbh.

In terms of moving with the times, I think it’s a good point. For example new entrant Firefighters weren’t allowed to wear corrective lenses. It took several years, but that’s no longer the case now, as they supply lenses to the BA sets now. As long as uncorrected and corrected vision meets a certain min standard, it’s acceptable, much like the railway.

I'm sure the railway will eventually move on. It just moves at the speed of ice ! It also moves on with the speed technology does. Laser surgery is a good example. As the tech has evolved, so have the railways acceptance. Same with mobile phones. It just takes time.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I'm red Green Colourblind which I think is the most common colourblind of them all. At the moment I don't struggle to see any signals or interlock colours.

It's not just about a single scenario of looking at signals. It seeing them in the dark, when coming up to a major interchange, when looking at them against different backgrounds, buildings etc.

I'd like to hope in the future that you become a driver even with Colourblind

Maybe one day it will change. Other standards have.

Stigy

Established Member
I've never heard of a TOC getting people to pay for their Railway Issue glasses.

Sunglasses I can understand as you are allowed to wear your own sunglasses but the company still issues you a pair for free.
I guess it’s because they’re not actually railway issue, but a requirement to have a second pair. I’ll carry a second pair but it’ll be from my previous prescription (my eyesight marginally changes every couple of years, but I only really buy new glasses because I use HealthShield
rather than the fact that I really need them).
Odd... May I ask why ? As to polarised. I didn't think they were allowed ? I haven't checked the sunglasses standard for a couple of years tbh.
I’m not 100% sure myself as to the standard, but when I went for my eye test I asked the optician about the sunglasses as I’m aware they have to meet the standard for the railway and he said it was due to the polarisation of the lenses. Apparently it eliminates glare, mainly at night, but also from the sun on railheads etc during the day? I only really wanted to update my sunglasses as I wasn’t sure my current ones met the railway standard (I assumed at first they did as they were of course prescription sunglasses, but apparently it doesn’t necessarily work like that.

4F89

Mine just affects the green red colours alothough in day to day things j can differentiate between the shades of the two colours. Maybe it worsens over time.
Did you take an online test, or with the actual paper booklet? The requirement is "normal colour vision", so a couple wrong is still "normal". I'd go for it and be told a definitely "no" rather than be unsure my whole life.

Qualcomm745

On Moderation
Did you take an online test, or with the actual paper booklet? The requirement is "normal colour vision", so a couple wrong is still "normal". I'd go for it and be told a definitely "no" rather than be unsure my whole life.
I took an online test and the paper one and I think it was around 2-4 numbers I could not see. Although I thought you would have to get 100% right in the test. I'll see again and apply in the future

Qualcomm745

On Moderation
Yh I'd rather check again with someone other than an online test cause things could change but who knows

Rockhopper

You need to watch out with polarised lenses, it can make it impossible to read some kinds of digital displays. iPhones and iPads will only work in one orientation for example.

ComUtoR

Established Member

An interesting article on chromatic lenses.

Rockhopper

Ok. I don't use polarized lenses at the moment and I have no clue if I need to.

Its relevant to others on this thread who mentioned it as well! When i got my first pair I went to Morrison's to fill the car up with petrol and i thought all the pumps were broken as there was nothing on the display! In my Ford Focus there are three info displays, I can only read two of them. I've now relegated those sunnies to mountain biking duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.