• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train driver and anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty1201

Hello, I have a question regarding train drivers and anxiety in the uk. If you are signed off by a doctor for stress, could you be sacked by the train operator? Does anyone know what the process is, are they able to just fire you for having a bout of anxiety?
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theironroad

Established Member
Hello, I have a question regarding train drivers and anxiety in the uk. If you are signed off by a doctor for stress, could you be sacked by the train operator? Does anyone know what the process is, are they able to just fire you for having a bout of anxiety?
Thanks

Every medical issue will be treated individually in consultation with occupational health.

A bout of anxiety or stress would only result in not driving on a temporary basis until the issue is resolved or managed medically.

If the condition became so unmanageable and became very long lasting, I'm thinking more than a year, and the prognosis wasn't positive and the result meant you couldn't drive again, then you'd either be redeployed or depending on age, medically retired.

You certainly can't be fired on a whim.

If you're a current driver, you could contact occupational health, union reps, HR or some companies sign up to external providers that provide advice and counselling.

Good luck.

LCC106

Established Member
theironroad put it perfectly. Just to add a little, if the anxiety were related to the job and just couldn’t be shaken off, that would potentially be another reason for redeployment.

RailLady

Thanks
It is best to discuss this with your hr department. They will provide advice and guidance and guidance on the matter.

You have a duty of care to ensure you’re capable of driving the train. And the company you work for has a duty of care to ensure you wellbeing, on top of your ability to drive. They won’t be looking for a way to stop you being a train driver and that’s that. They have responsibilities and processes to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.