• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Driver Benefits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lesjordans

What are the benefits of being a train driver

is one of them that the driver + 1 nominee gets free train travel throughout the whole UK?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

It's unlimited travel with your TOC, limited travel throughout the UK.

T

Tom

14 1day rovers I believe, can anyone give any more information? (each year IIRC)

T

Tom

I believe it is limited to you only and only valid when showing a staff pass.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
When I was working with ATW last year the unlimited thing worked between ATW, Central and Wessex trains, however they were stopping that at the end of the week of my work experience. But I did notice that when they stopped it, they still continued this practice.
My cousin has a limited travel pass, his father having worked on the railway upto the time of EWS. I'm sure he can do up to 30 free return trips a year.

Craig

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
14 1day rovers I believe, can anyone give any more information? (each year IIRC)
It depends, you start off with up to 14 which can be increased to 16 (this is what I currently have) or possibly 18. Management get 20. Once dated each "box" is valid for 50 hours, 22:00 the previous day to midnight the next day. Each set of boxes is valid for 15 months, 1st April to 30th June the next year, so there is a 3 month overlap.

In addition to this you can purchase privilege rate tickets which are standard open tickets with a 75% discount.

There's also a whole load of other offers and discounts, take a look at the Rail Staff Travel section of the ATOC website for full details.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Aye, the priveledge ticketing thing means I can go with my grandad everywhere for £2.00, has been quite useful, but I don't think I would still be entitled to that now i'm 16.

Lesjordans

just say youre 15 then, im 14 but i look much younger so i'll do it as long as i can get away with it

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
yeh but i look 16 lol and anyway I don't believe in defrauding the railways - about the only companies I don't believe in defrauding! :P

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The answer is easy to get cheap fares, get a railcard, or buy combo CDRs! Failing that, Super Advance and APEXs come in handy!

TheSlash

Established Member
Lesjordans said:
You lose the ability to use the problem solving area of your brain,
You get this over whelming sense of importance when speaking to other staff except train crew managers
You are elevated to a new position in society known as "Mr Driver", where everyone is expected to worship you
You become lazy, climaxing in alot of motivation being needed just to change ends on lengthy formations {8,9,10,12 car}

Craig

Established Member
TheSlash said:
Lesjordans said:
You get this over whelming sense of importance when speaking to other staff except train crew managers
You are elevated to a new position in society known as "Mr Driver", where everyone is expected to worship you
You become lazy, climaxing in alot of motivation being needed just to change ends on lengthy formations {8,9,10,12 car}
Well done Mr Network Rail, that was nearly funny... :roll:

TheSlash said:
Lesjordans said:

HAHAHAHA i nearly laughed Mr Network Rail I ought to bow down to you as you broke safety critical rules, ha the importance of you.... NOT

Coxster

Established Member
TheSlash said:
I think I could happily live with that - afterall, I've wanted to for a number of years! ;)

TheSlash

Established Member
Craig said:
TheSlash said:
Lesjordans said:
Well done Mr Network Rail, that was nearly funny... :roll:
The doors that way ---->
good bye {you too Met Apprentice}

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I may not be a moderator but I'm a member of the staff.

Try and play nice lads, we dont want any arguments or fights over here, so try and get along nicely. :)

Guinness

Established Member
AlexS said:
Behave everyone, please, or I will have to think in this state of euphoria im in what to do, and I can't be bothered. Please, keep it nice, for my sake :shock:

...and it will help keep it nice for the rest of us!

T

Tom

I don't want this topic to get out of hand, OK? Just, please, stay ON-TOPIC.

Guinness

Established Member
I think its time to say Goodbye to this one Tom. I think the main Topic answer has been posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.