• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train driver experience days

Status
Not open for further replies.

notadriver

Established Member
Having just visited the SVR for the first time I was wondering if anyone could chat about any train driver experience days they have had here or anywhere else? Specifically the type of traction involved and how long they got at the controls. The SVR were offering the chance to drive a Deltic. Does this appeal or do people prefer the chance to drive a steam loco ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spagnoletti

Having just visited the SVR for the first time I was wondering if anyone could chat about any train driver experience days they have had here or anywhere else? Specifically the type of traction involved and how long they got at the controls. The SVR were offering the chance to drive a Deltic. Does this appeal or do people prefer the chance to drive a steam loco ?

Not sure about the SVR but at Llangollen on a diesel experience you get to drive one round trip with a train on the back. On the steam experience you share with another punter - you each get to drive one way, and fire the other.

Harbon 1

I know when my dad drove 50044 years ago there, he shared the experience with 3 others, each having a quarter of a round trip.

Their websites will tell you what you get for example the Battlefield line diesel experience gives you one light engine round trip and one round trip hauling coaches (I think)

The SVR appear to have started using visiting locos on experience days in recent years.

This is just the current example ahead of this years diesel gala. Earlier this year 1450 and chaffinch were on experience days between the spring gala and the members/shareholders days.

I think it is Lewis's new(ish) touch to proceedings, and IMO long may it continue.

Evvy73

I did a Diesel Driver Experience day only last Friday at the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway in Derbyshire - absolutely cracking day out.

There was a group of four of us and we took turns in driving a bubble car DMU in the morning (about 2 miles each go) and a Class 31 loco hauling a couple of brake vans in the afternoon.
When you weren't driving you were helping out by jumping in and out of the trains to open/close the level crossing gates, change points for 'run arounds' (on the 31) and also coupling and shunting some wagons.
We had to pick up a tanker wagon in the afternoon and also shunt around some hoppers ready for an event they have on this week.

The day ran from 10am to around 4:30pm with a provided lunch in one of their converted pullman cars.

Great fun!

TheEdge

Established Member
I did the SVR Steam Driver Experience day.

There was a group of 6 of us. Started with a quick introduction and then split into three groups of two. Starting from Bewdley one pair drive/fire to Hampton Loade, one pair then to Bridgnorth and back to Hampton Loade and then the last back to Bewdley. Day was one Mk1 with guests along for the ride. At Bridgnorth there was an extended break (to fit around timetabled trains) which was filled with a guided tour of the shed and works there.

Loco was 46443. T'was amazing

notadriver

Established Member
Thanks everyone for your comments. Well my friend wants to have a try but can't afford the whole lot so I'm thinking about participating to share the cost. The diesel experiences seem cheaper. But he's set me a little challenge (to entice me to take part in the whole thing). He's a LGV driver and reckons because he's mechanically minded and is used to heavy loads that he would adjust quicker to driving an old diesel compared with me who drives a simple modern 'one handle' EMU. Who will win?

napierdeltic

Tut tut old diesel indeed !! That's you marked down for starters :lol:

Joking aside the Deltic Experience days fill up quickly which ever line we take our locos to so I would booked as soon as you can. Look forward to seeing you guys on the day.

Last edited:

Wyvern

Established Member
You've just missed out for this weekend. THe EVR was offering a drive of one of their industrial locos for a tenner. I dont know exactly what you got. Maybe they'll do it again.

Last edited:
If you have £600 we have a diesel loco experience day on Wednesday 16th October at EVR :D
Unless you're happy to do a group one on the 27th September for £179 :)

nferguso

You've just missed out for this weekend. THe EVR was offering a drive of one of their industrial steamers for a tenner. I dont know exactly what you got. Maybe they'll do it again.

You haven't missed-out just yet: we're offering experiences tomorrow, Bank Holiday Monday.

Details here in our latest broadcast email: Click here

Kind regards,

Neil

MattRobinson

The KWVR offers full day steam driving experiences for groups of four people. Everyone gets to drive one round trip, fire another, and act as guard on a third. The fourth round trip allows you to get your breath back and enjoy the scenery, chat to the guide, discuss the workings of steam engines, &c.

Lunch, tea and coffee is provided and participants get to do all of the driving and firing, including run-rounds at Keighley and Oxenhope (except the buffering and coupling up), meaning that they get the full experience.

I haven't done the course myself, but I've spoken to people who are involved and they say that it is a really worthwhile day. Furthermore, it gets a really good reaction from the participants.

HTH,
Matt

napierdeltic

Must be a high percentage of preserved railways that do driver experience courses. So a large range of different locos that can be driven from tank engines to diesels.

Our Deltic 55002 is mainline registered so what ever floats your boat :D The driver experience on Oct 1st at the SVR is the first time koyli has been used.

Beveridges

Established Member
Thanks everyone for your comments. Well my friend wants to have a try but can't afford the whole lot so I'm thinking about participating to share the cost. The diesel experiences seem cheaper. But he's set me a little challenge (to entice me to take part in the whole thing). He's a LGV driver and reckons because he's mechanically minded and is used to heavy loads that he would adjust quicker to driving an old diesel compared with me who drives a simple modern 'one handle' EMU. Who will win?

I'd bet you would win. More similarities in the controls between an EMU and an old diesel compared to an LGV. Also the LGV driver may say he is used to heavy loads, but your EMUs are probably a hell of a lot heavier than his LGVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.