• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train driver 'freewheels' broken down train 13 MILES to London Euston after a power cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

setdown

Couldn’t see this posted, quite skilful driving!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lon...london-euston-after-a-power-cut-a3748781.html

A train driver managed to "freewheel" a broken down train for 13 miles into London Euston after a power cut.

Commuters on the 9.54am London Northwestern Railway service from Birmingham New Street were saved from a major delay on Tuesday by the driver's quick thinking.

The four-carriage service came to a halt at Bushey, near Watford after it suddenly lost power at around noon.

And despite several attempts to kick-start the train, it appeared the service was stranded.

But the driver came up with a solution, announcing to passengers his intention to let the train glide into the capital using gravity.

Using the downhill slope from the Hertfordshire town into London, he was able to keep the broken train moving without power.

And the train arrived at Euston just minutes behind schedule, the railway line confirmed

Is this quite a common driving technique?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

t_star2001uk

there are quite a few locations on the network where coasting for prolonged periods is quite normal...

tsr

Established Member
That's quite an impressive distance, but that technique is often attempted to get out of trouble, such as with trains becoming "gapped" between sections of third rail in DC areas. OHLE can also be without power and trains can be ordered to coast past the affected area. Lastly, if you're going downhill and all your diesel engines shut down, guess what you try to do to get to the nearest station?

There are plenty of areas where trains can coast for some distance without needing to take power to maintain permissible speeds. The south of England has, for many many years, had coasting signs installed on electrified lines, often found on the Brighton Mainline. These are the slightly grubby white "vertical" diamond signs beside the track. These are designed to help drivers choose when it is appropriate to shut off power when running on clear signals.

You have to be aware of the operating capabilities of your train when it comes to emergency power supplies. Often these supplies can power safety systems, door mechanisms, etc. for a limited time, but once the train loses power and safety systems think they're going to "die", you can come to a grinding halt quite quickly. If this strands the train, you can be in a worse position than when you originally lost traction power!

ComUtoR

Established Member
That is an impressive distance. I've coasted a couple before and there are a few well known coasting points on our part of the network.

t_star2001uk

Might just have been a traction problem rather than everything. Provided the air and aux power are available and a clear run forward motion is probably the main limiting factor.

gazthomas

Established Member
Might just have been a traction problem rather than everything. Provided the air and aux power are available and a clear run forward motion is probably the main limiting factor.
I was thinking the same, especially as the brakes would still have to work

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Skillful driving by someone who knows the route more than well...express steam trains would coast all the way from further north than Watford Junction , ditto St Albans (albeit with the Radlett to Elstree dip) - down into the London basin.

t_star2001uk

Its possible from Denham to Marylebone with a good unit, with the wind behind you and all the luck in the world.....

Kettledrum

Would the driver have to clear this with signallers in case there was a red signal en-route that could have left the train stranded in an awkward spot?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not surprising that this was possible - its basically continuous downhill from Tring summit ('Feet up fireman') to Euston (with only a short climb to Primrose Hill IIRC).

Also heard stories of being able to do likewise London-bound on the Hertford Loop - saves on the power draw...

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Going the other way -and some professional Thameslink drivers will no doubt step in , if I am talking rubbish - you can coast from the M25 bridge to St Albans City with power off , and keep time. ..

The Southern Railway -- and later BR had coasting boards at various places to encourage motormen to shut off - and save power. (and keep time) ......

I could go on here about a runaway class 58 light engine which ran powerless from north of Watford Junction to around Queens Park - he had no power and no working power brakes either , but that is not germane to the discussion. Let alone a trial run with 36 (over)loaded HTV wagons from Maerdy to Porth with a single 37 and brake van , shall we say it was like a piano out of a warehouse window. Good job the route ahead was specially cleared....

TheEdge

Established Member
Would the driver have to clear this with signallers in case there was a red signal en-route that could have left the train stranded in an awkward spot?

I've heard of a few examples where signalers have set specially to allow trains to coast without being impeded, so yea, if you wanted to do this you'd contact the box. I know of incident where a train lost power coming into Norwich, and a call to the signalman made sharpish got the route set from a fair distance out into the longest platform so not only would the train coast but if it didn't make it all the way to the stops, due to a fairly slow approach to Norwich for the last kilometer or so, there was a decent chance the whole train would be in the platform, which it was.

And on the GEML it is possible to coast from Brentwood all the way to Liverpool Street.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Going the other way -and some professional Thameslink drivers will no doubt step in , if I am talking rubbish - you can coast from the M25 bridge to St Albans City with power off , and keep time. ..

My coasting point into Radlet from St Albans is the M25 bridge. The other way around I'm generally powering all the way up the gradient into St Albans. If I'm terminating at St Albans then you get checked down so you will need to brake regardless. If I was fast to St Albans and hitting 90 then potentially I'd agree. I'll give it a go next time I'm that way.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
My coasting point into Radlet from St Albans is the M25 bridge. The other way around I'm generally powering all the way up the gradient into St Albans. If I'm terminating at St Albans then you get checked down so you will need to brake regardless. If I was fast to St Albans and hitting 90 then potentially I'd agree. I'll give it a go next time I'm that way.

One of the drivers (with a 387 admittedly) told us this on the PA one evening - (that he had coasted and was still on time) - yes , after many ,. many journeys on 319 etc - you note the coasting mode from the M25 bridge going south - ditto I suppose Mill Hill approaching Silkstream on the slow lines with a semi-fast.....

ComUtoR

Established Member
Into St Albans from Radlet all I really need is power up the gradient. Then I'm generally watching the signal sequence to ensure that I get the correct sequence. I'm not sure how far up the gradient I would get purely coasting but its well worth a shot and I'd be interested to see if I could adjust to a different technique on approach. It sounds very reasonable. On Green and through the station then I'm holding 90 and screaming round the curve and into the station, fyi 60 at the bridge is still a 'comfortable' approach.

Elstree to Mill Hill : Power into the tunnel (75mph) and power out the gradient (hold the 75 and push speed after clearing the tunnel) and then coast to Mill Hill (or full power for some) Could certainly make it coasting all the way after hitting 75. Maybe it would hold as far as Mill Hill.

Mill Hill to Hendon : Full power to 60 ish, coast down the gradient and through the neutral section, hold 60 and watch the acceleration from the gradient, coast through Silkstream (watching the 60 PSR) coast into Hendon (uphill gradient takes off about 10 if your lucky) but its a sharp brake as the station is close.

Potentially you could make the gradient into Hendon, deep breath through the station (drop 5- 10 from 60), coast down past the sidings, gain the 5-10 back into Cricklewood (slight uphill gradient) pray momentum takes you into Cricklewood (I reckon it would hold the speed well, maybe drop 5-10 again). Drop into West Hampstead gaining a few mph (down gradient but flattens out in places) but you would need power into Belsize to make it to Kentish.

If you wasn't bothered about speed and didn't need to stop. Hit 90 after St Albans and potentially coast to West Hampstead

700's feel lighter than a 319 and they hold their speed a little better.

westcoaster

Established Member
Into St Albans from Radlet all I really need is power up the gradient. Then I'm generally watching the signal sequence to ensure that I get the correct sequence. I'm not sure how far up the gradient I would get purely coasting but its well worth a shot and I'd be interested to see if I could adjust to a different technique on approach. It sounds very reasonable. On Green and through the station then I'm holding 90 and screaming round the curve and into the station, fyi 60 at the bridge is still a 'comfortable' approach.

Elstree to Mill Hill : Power into the tunnel (75mph) and power out the gradient (hold the 75 and push speed after clearing the tunnel) and then coast to Mill Hill (or full power for some) Could certainly make it coasting all the way after hitting 75. Maybe it would hold as far as Mill Hill.

Mill Hill to Hendon : Full power to 60 ish, coast down the gradient and through the neutral section, hold 60 and watch the acceleration from the gradient, coast through Silkstream (watching the 60 PSR) coast into Hendon (uphill gradient takes off about 10 if your lucky) but its a sharp brake as the station is close.

Potentially you could make the gradient into Hendon, deep breath through the station (drop 5- 10 from 60), coast down past the sidings, gain the 5-10 back into Cricklewood (slight uphill gradient) pray momentum takes you into Cricklewood (I reckon it would hold the speed well, maybe drop 5-10 again). Drop into West Hampstead gaining a few mph (down gradient but flattens out in places) but you would need power into Belsize to make it to Kentish.

If you wasn't bothered about speed and didn't need to stop. Hit 90 after St Albans and potentially coast to West Hampstead

As we know the blue team like the all stations work southbound on the fast RA st pancras. As long as you are doing 100 out of elstree tunnel you can coast all the way through low level, and to the incline into farringdon.

ComUtoR

Established Member
What about the points through Carlton road/West Hampstead South and Dock Jn North ?

Could I pull out of St Panc and coast to Farringdon just watch the train dip up and down 25 (ish) ?

Typically I coast into Farringdon anyway. :)

Last edited:

Silver Cobra

That's quite an impressive distance, but that technique is often attempted to get out of trouble, such as with trains becoming "gapped" between sections of third rail in DC areas. OHLE can also be without power and trains can be ordered to coast past the affected area.

This reminds me of when VTEC electric services were having to coast through a section north of Retford in the autumn of 2016 after the wires had come down the previous day. Services had to stack up at a signal a fair distance from the affected area to give enough run-up to reach 125mph before coasting through. Unfortunately, the situation wasn't helped by a service having a brake failure just past the affected section.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

Excellent reply - thank you very much - I did challenge some years back the up slow approaching Silkstream , but it is tricky and alignement related - (having noted that some drivers accelerated away from Mill Hill and then braked - for the 60 mph PSR - some quite hard - so thought there could be some benefit there - the PSR is hard wired am afraid) - anyway the acceleration on the DF from a station stop at St Albans City with a 12 car 700 in particular is pretty impressive , considering the fairly sharp up hill gradient there - the last coach must be doing 70+ as it whips past.

Any observations on the Sandridge Neutral section - Harpenden - Chiltern Green - Luton stations sections .......( I do hope Baldrick will read this in due course ....he is away ski-ing - so doing his own coasting) ?

Again - thanks ..

InOban

Established Member
I thought that after the climb up to Camden (trains were originally hauled up) Mr Stephenson had built his London to Birmingham railway virtually flat, so I am surprised that this was possible. Learn something every day.

westcoaster

Established Member
Excellent reply - thank you very much - I did challenge some years back the up slow approaching Silkstream , but it is tricky and alignement related - (having noted that some drivers accelerated away from Mill Hill and then braked - for the 60 mph PSR - some quite hard - so thought there could be some benefit there - the PSR is hard wired am afraid) - anyway the acceleration on the DF from a station stop at St Albans City with a 12 car 700 in particular is pretty impressive , considering the fairly sharp up hill gradient there - the last coach must be doing 70+ as it whips past.

Any observations on the Sandridge Neutral section - Harpenden - Chiltern Green - Luton stations sections .......( I do hope Baldrick will read this in due course ....he is away ski-ing - so doing his own coasting) ?

Again - thanks ..
The only bit of interest is on the up from chiltern green u/s its 85, accelerate from parkway up to 85 shut of and coast to harpenden normally doing 70/75 as you reach the first houses of hapenden. Harpenden to st albans is all up hill down dale no real coasting spots. Neutral sections and 700's just dont work well together example being graham park on the down, on the fast you will loose 9/10mph as it' uphill and the length of time the unit takes to reconfigure, close the vcb's. On the slows its not to bad as you can coast to mill hill.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Remembering, as Westcoaster highlighted :) I'm typically on a stopper.

St Albans to Luton is again a mix of coasting and pulling power for the gradients. Mostly It's up hill. There is a double gradient into Harpenden and a pretty big one up past the worksite where it changes to 85 before dropping into Luton Airport Parkway. I'm watching the speedo more now days because, as you highlighted, a 700 can spank it and will hold its speed and power through a hard gradient.

I'm old school but not old old school. I'm a lazy power draw into silkstream because I'm managing my workload and its notorious for TPWS Activation's so I'm overly cautious. GTR tend to lean towards a full power/brake 2 PDP so they are almost promoting the heavy brake to adjust for the 60 into Silkstream. My first few months, and still today, over the darkside really keeps you on your toes. Its pretty hardcore late braking into most places.

Most of us coast at the well know places and coast on a gradient. As I say, I'm old school and was trained for a more coast everywhere approach. The problem is that when they introduced 'eco driving' you tended to tank time. No offence intended but Planners really push the timetable tight in places and you do need to hold it at linespeed to make some sectionals. Bald Rick and I have discussed 700's and where their performance means they can cut dwells and pathways etc. Personally, I finally have a unit that can make the sectionals and generally keeps to time. Just those bothersome passengers that cause delays...

On the darkside I'm generally in power and pushing the timetable. I think most of us can figure out coasting points when required and on restrictive aspects you tend to drop it into coast and play the signals.

westcoaster

Established Member
With these nice 700's I drive 60%/60% no need to go more than that ever. Under fcc any braking over 80mph had to be a full service step 3 application. Now we have no steps just feeling what we need, they certainly stop on the dime in 100%. Not tried emergency yet so not sure how that feels.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I hit the 50 into Elephant, got the fire alarm, Hit emergency, stopped on the curve before Elephant.

I'm full power (the unit adjusts anyway) and 20% on initial, then 30-50% to control the approach. Slow as you feel it, drop it back to about 25/30% to stop.

westcoaster

Established Member
I like the break very adaptive, on training we hit the platform ramp at gypsy hill doing 45 100% break and had to take it of to stop at the 8 car mark.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Not surprising that this was possible - its basically continuous downhill from Tring summit ('Feet up fireman') to Euston (with only a short climb to Primrose Hill IIRC)....

I've spoken to drivers (pre-pendolino) who have coasted to the stops at Euston from Tring. Still doing 80 at Willesden apparently.

Going the other way -and some professional Thameslink drivers will no doubt step in , if I am talking rubbish - you can coast from the M25 bridge to St Albans City with power off , and keep time.....

There is at least one driver who coasts into St Albans on the DF from the northern portal of Elstree tunnel, with the train down to about 65 when it goes under the A414 bridge. He (or she) always loses about 90 seconds. Happened to me last week. I was slightly miffed, as it is poor practice (if time is lost), and it delayed the EMT behind.

Of course the energy benefit of coasting electric trains is less now than it was 'in the old days' as with regen braking some of the energy is recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.