Train driver interview

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by Gsxr750, 6 May 2018.

1. Gsxr750

Gsxr750 Member

Hi, Train driver interview coming up.
    Struggling to think of some questions to ask at end of interview. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. red2005

red2005 Member

Their franchise plans?

If they ask you where you see yourself in so many years you can ask how they can help you achieve that depending on your answer.

What additional training they can offer you if you’re ambitious and want to progress within the grade?

4. choochoochoo

choochoochoo Member

What career progression is common through the driving grade ? What support is given to those who want to progress ?

5. Bromley boy

Bromley boy Established Member

DI, DM (and management roles above this) or move to another TOC.

I must say being either a DM or a DI does not appeal in the slightest after spending some time in the industry!

EDIT: sorry just re read the thread - I see we are meant to be suggesting questions not answering them!!!

I would agree with the poster above, asking about progression is a good idea. Clearly, sounding like you wish to remain with the TOC long term will be a desirable characteristic.

Last edited: 6 May 2018
  6. ComUtoR

ComUtoR Established Member

Getting a list of questions is a good idea. What I would do is think of those that are specific to me. I know what I would ask and I could suggest various typical candidate questions to ask but there must be something you have always wanted to ask about Train Driving. Make it personal.

Do you have anything that YOU want to know ? Do you have any fears or worries about the job ? Also when sitting there getting hammered with questions don't just sit and regurgitate prepared answers. Try to interact with the interviewer, ask for clarification on some questions and when they give you open or leading questions use that as an opportunity to ask one of your own.

7. ComUtoR

ComUtoR Established Member

I always said I wouldn't do it but recently I have openly stated that I would apply when they post it. That was until that piece of paper appeared on the table...

8. Bromley boy

Bromley boy Established Member

That piece of paper has put the cat amongst the pigeons hasn’t it!?

Go for it. Better money, better T’s and C’s. No brainer.

9. red2005

red2005 Member

Whether you have a desire to be an instructor or not, a question that has a link to possible longevity is never a bad thing.