• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train driver killed as train collides with tractor near Hooghalen (NL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielB

An NS-Sprinter class SNG (CAF Civity) collided with a tractor and trailer combination on an unguarded level crossing providing access to a farmers land near Hooghalen (NL) this afternoon. Of the approximately 50 passengers which were on this Sprinter from Zwolle to Groningen several were injured. According to reports from insiders the train driver has been killed in the accident.
Both the train itself and the catenary masts sustained major damage, all train traffic between Assen and Groningen has been suspended for the remainder of the day.

Pictures of the damage can be found at https://www.rtvdrenthe.nl/nieuws/16...-botsing-tussen-trein-en-trekker-in-Hooghalen (in Dutch)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MisterT

According to the public GPS records, the accident happened at ~ 140 km/h (~ 85 mph). It is now officially confirmed that the driver has been killed, unfortunately.
From the pictures, it looks like the train collided with the steel trailer, which was enormous and filled with sand/debris. It looks like the crash buffers didn't help, as the trailer was higher than the buffers, so all force came down on the cab itself instead of protecting buffer area.
But of course, official investigation will take place.

Wychwood93

An NS-Sprinter class SNG (CAF Civity) collided with a tractor and trailer combination on an unguarded level crossing providing access to a farmers land near Hooghalen (NL) this afternoon. Of the approximately 50 passengers which were on this Sprinter from Zwolle to Groningen several were injured. According to reports from insiders the train driver has been killed in the accident.
Both the train itself and the catenary masts sustained major damage, all train traffic between Assen and Groningen has been suspended for the remainder of the day.

Pictures of the damage can be found at https://www.rtvdrenthe.nl/nieuws/16...-botsing-tussen-trein-en-trekker-in-Hooghalen (in Dutch)
Condolences to the family and friends of the driver. The photo of the crossing sees somewhat minimal kit provided.

MisterT

It's an unprotected level crossing, only to be used by the farmer.
ProRail (the Dutch Network Rail) has been closing these kind of level crossings for years now, but many still remain unfortunately.
I know this crossing well (I drive there regularly) and there is a good line of sight onto the railway tracks, so I have no idea why the trailer was still on the tracks.
I guess the official investigation will have to make that clear.

Last edited:

DanielB

ProRail (the Dutch Network Rail) has been closing these kind of level crossings for years now, but many still remain unfortunately
In the mean time ProRail has put an article on their website which reads that talks with land owners were ongoing to be able to close this level crossing. Unfortunately, the closure came too late for the killed driver.

According to ProRail the repairs will take the entire weekend to complete.

duesselmartin

Established Member
ProRail (the Dutch Network Rail) has been closing these kind of level crossings for years now, but many still remain unfortunately.
I know this crossing well (I drive there regularly) and there is a good line of sight onto the railway tracks, so I have no idea why the trailer was still on the tracks.
I guess the official investigation will have to make that clear.
German media ( Radio) mentioned that the tractor lost the trailer aus it was not coupled properly. According to the report, its not the first accident of that kind.

DanielB

That would explain why the tractor is seen on most pictures standing quite a bit away from the level crossing, instead of it being dragged along with the trailer.

However I can't remember any other accidents in The Netherlands where a trailer was lost on a level crossing. Accidents on an unguarded level crossing happened more often, see the collision near Winsum a few years ago.
And even on level crossings having barriers accidents have happened in the past: most recent example is Dalfsen and in damage to the catenary a relatively recent incident in Teuge was very similar (although the latter was a suicide).
Last but not least there also has been an accident where an articulated bus lost its trailer after being hit by a train.

Status
Not open for further replies.