Train Driver Medical

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by Ryandfs, 10 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryandfs

Ryandfs Member

I have a medical for trainee train driver coming up. Does anyone know if having asthma is likely to mean I will fail the medical? I still use inhalers as and when required. Do I need to tell them I have used inhalers?

Thanks

2. causton

causton Established Member

Shouldn't do, and yes. If your condition is manageable, it is a lot better to be straight with them then it cause a problem later and you could then be dismissed for withholding the information if you didn't tell them!

3. Ryandfs

Ryandfs Member

Thanks for the advice. Do you know if they do a lung capacity test? I think that is what I am worrying about the most due to the asthma.

4. causton

causton Established Member

Not sure, I have done a medical but I said I had no problems so they did not do any lung capacity test on me!

5. 30 common

30 common Member

Yes, I did a lung capacity test for LOROL

Last edited: 10 Apr 2015
  6. scotraildriver

scotraildriver Member

I have asthma. It's not a problem at all. But do tell them first!

7. TDK

TDK Established Member

Also you will need to take your medication with you for the medical.

8. leaffall

leaffall Member

I didn't do a lung capacity test, sounds like it might be TOC specific or if you declare something like Asthma,

The lung capacity test 30 common was it the test where you blow sharply into a plastic tube with the indicator that travels up the outside of the tube depending on how much 'oomph' you give it? Or was it more technical?

9. Jamesb1974

Jamesb1974 Member

Yes, there was a lung function test on my medical and for gods sake, make sure you mention your Asthma. One of the parts of the medical is a urine sample that is sent away for testing (for drugs etc). Don't mess your chances up by not declaring that you are taking medication (inhalers) for a pre existing condition. Whether or not the test would pick up your inhalers is immaterial really. The nurse doing the medical is impartial and just collects the results, so be upfront about it.

Last edited: 11 Apr 2015
  10. 30 common

30 common Member

Yes Leaffall. 2 tests measuring power blowing as hard as I could and one blowing continuously until you pass out lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.