• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train driver to Tube driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

notadriver

Established Member
Does anyone know of anyone who's made the switch to tube driving ? It's usually the other way around.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aivilo

As they "generally" don't recruit externally I'd say no. I like many have done the opposite and had to take a pay cut to start over

Met Driver

Established Member
I'm aware of someone who was a driver at Thames Trains who left and became a driver at LU, they used to post on here. Not sure if they did a stint on stations first or were directly recruited. There may be one or two other instances but I would think since privatisation it must be rare. On the other hand I can think of many colleagues who worked for the mainline under BR as guards or second men who left to join LU because the pay for equivalent roles was better, all of whom have now been drivers at LU for many years. I can think of one who was a YTS trainee under BR, was latterly a driver for LU and has now returned to the mainline via the trainee driver route. I'm not sure if they made it to the driving grade under BR prior to joining LU.

Dieseldriver

I personally know several. I also know a few who decided to be an LT Guard as it paid more than a BR Secondman, a few regret their choice now.

Status
Not open for further replies.