• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Driver (wannabe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon87

Evening all

I’m just setting up some job alerts for Trainee Train Driver/Guard roles as I’m really keen to move into the industry. I’m based in Bristol so I’ve set up alerts for GWR, SWR and Cross Country TOCs.

In terms of FOCs, so that I can set up job alerts for freight driver roles, which companies operate in my area? Haven’t a clue where to look first!

Also, I’m obviously going to be making a career change, so I wanted to know whether or not at 32, I’m too old to expect to be taken on as a trainee train driver? What’s the industry culture like with regards to age/newbies etc?

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
Evening all

I’m just setting up some job alerts for Trainee Train Driver/Guard roles as I’m really keen to move into the industry. I’m based in Bristol so I’ve set up alerts for GWR, SWR and Cross Country TOCs.

In terms of FOCs, so that I can set up job alerts for freight driver roles, which companies operate in my area? Haven’t a clue where to look first!

Also, I’m obviously going to be making a career change, so I wanted to know whether or not at 32, I’m too old to expect to be taken on as a trainee train driver? What’s the industry culture like with regards to age/newbies etc?

Thanks in advance

I started as a trainee , one month before my 48th birthday.

rail-god

On Moderation
Evening all

Thanks in advance

Age isn`t a barrier mate. GO FOR IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anon87

Age isn`t a barrier mate. GO FOR IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the encouragement mate, really appreciate it. Are you talking from experience? Also, do you know what FOCs I should look at for jobs?

rail-god

On Moderation
Thanks for the encouragement mate, really appreciate it. Are you talking from experience? Also, do you know what FOCs I should look at for jobs?

YES MATE.

I dont know the FOC depots in the area but try, DB cargo, Freightliner and GBRF.

Good Luck.

TeaTrain

There are people in their 20, 30, 40 and even 50s starting their careers as Train drivers. Age is not a barrier so don't let it hinder you. I am mid 30s and am a trainee.

LCC106

Established Member
Worth checking their actual careers pages every day as job alerts don’t always work. Once the jobs go love they’re often removed as soon as they have (more than) enough interest. There were 750 applications per vacancy for my trainee driver role. Good luck!

Undiscovered

As others have said, keep your eyes on sites daily and jump on any opportunity you can.

In the meantime, fill out as much of each sites information as you can- job history, personal info, getting CV updated and attached etc. now as you don't want to be wasting time doing that with a live application. There's also nothing stopping you going through with any application form for any job and then not submitting the application, just so you get a feel for the layout of online forms, info needed, questions asked etc. You can then note good examples in Word and then cut/paste into response boxes and tweak them, rather than thinking at time of application.

Chances are, in the course of things, you'll fill out several and become very au fais, but if you have only a few hours to complete, which with some jobs is very likely, a little prepardness will go a long way.

TeaTrain

As others have said, keep your eyes on sites daily and jump on any opportunity you can.

In the meantime, fill out as much of each sites information as you can- job history, personal info, getting CV updated and attached etc. now as you don't want to be wasting time doing that with a live application. There's also nothing stopping you going through with any application form for any job and then not submitting the application, just so you get a feel for the layout of online forms, info needed, questions asked etc. You can then note good examples in Word and then cut/paste into response boxes and tweak them, rather than thinking at time of application.

Chances are, in the course of things, you'll fill out several and become very au fais, but if you have only a few hours to complete, which with some jobs is very likely, a little prepardness will go a long way.

Some of the best advice I have seen! Some of the websites are poor quality and technical issues were rife when I was filling in my applications. Filling out as much as I could would give me a few extra minutes which has given me the opportunity to get an application in rather than miss it.

Undiscovered

There's only so many times you can do the 'brilliant answer, application timeout, application closed' scenario before you just cry.

Jon1930

Lol, you're 32 not 62! Sometimes people in their 50's will ask if their age is too old but never saw somebody early 30's post about their age...its common sense they'll get so many years of service.

Evening all

Thanks in advance

TeaTrain

32 is not too old as mentioned before. Age does not matter so much as experience. However you could argue the two go hand in hand. I have always felt that the railway depots are like small families. When a new member comes in to the fold they are met with scepticism before slowly being part of it. But everyone will be friendly. Just be prepared for some banter lol.

jezzer34

Evening all

Thanks in advance
i'm from Bristol and around the same age as you mate, i too basically wanted the same as you have said and still do but after 1 year of trying i am in a driver talent pool and continue to have other ongoing applications and feel confident about the future prospects. considering how difficult many say it is i feel i have made good progress with my ambition to become a train driver, 1 year in for me and maybe more years of waiting ahead either way im in it for the long haul and willing to be flexible in terms of locations.
i believe if you want it enough and approach it all well then you should achieve your goal.
No applications for the Bristol area since i have been looking which is around 12 month now, but if you're willing to relocate as i am then it opens up more doors. just keep learning about the job and industry and applying when opportunities arise.

keep the eyes peeled. or just check this forum as new positions are always posted on here. the forum does all the hard work for you.

i must of spent maybe 40 plus hours preparing for my dmi learning everything about the company. try to approach it with the goal of being the standout candidate and to blow the interviewer away with how much you know and how keen you are this is my approach. obviously you must pass all the opc stuff but i personally have found that all fairly straight forward.

just think safety first always! followed by excellent customer service and if you have real life experience of this then you're onto a winner. enough info on this forum to know exactly what you're walking into.

Last edited:

Anon87

i'm from Bristol and around the same age as you mate, i too basically wanted the same as you have said and still do but after 1 year of trying i am in a driver talent pool and continue to have other ongoing applications and feel confident about the future prospects. considering how difficult many say it is i feel i have made good progress with my ambition to become a train driver, 1 year in for me and maybe more years of waiting ahead either way im in it for the long haul and willing to be flexible in terms of locations.
i believe if you want it enough and approach it all well then you should achieve your goal.
No applications for the Bristol area since i have been looking which is around 12 month now, but if you're willing to relocate as i am then it opens up more doors. just keep learning about the job and industry and applying when opportunities arise.

keep the eyes peeled. or just check this forum as new positions are always posted on here. the forum does all the hard work for you.

i must of spent maybe 40 plus hours preparing for my dmi learning everything about the company. try to approach it with the goal of being the standout candidate and to blow the interviewer away with how much you know and how keen you are this is my approach. obviously you must pass all the opc stuff but i personally have found that all fairly straight forward.

just think safety first always! followed by excellent customer service and if you have real life experience of this then you're onto a winner. enough info on this forum to know exactly what you're walking into.
Thanks for the advice mate, really appreciate it! Out of interest, what depots have you applied for? For me, off the top of my head (apart from Bristol), I’m thinking there’s Swansea, Gloucester, Oxford, Westbury that would all be relocatable - even Yeovil and Salisbury so I’m certainly prepared to be flexible.

My background is logistics management. Health and safety and customer service are probably my top 2 KPIs and always have been so I have plenty of real life examples I can reference when asked.

jezzer34

Thanks for the advice mate, really appreciate it! Out of interest, what depots have you applied for? For me, off the top of my head (apart from Bristol), I’m thinking there’s Swansea, Gloucester, Oxford, Westbury that would all be relocatable - even Yeovil and Salisbury so I’m certainly prepared to be flexible.

My background is logistics management. Health and safety and customer service are probably my top 2 KPIs and always have been so I have plenty of real life examples I can reference when asked.

i also have a background in Logistics & transport management, definitely a good working background with plenty of valuable experience you will be able to bring with you and demonstrate.

as far as depots it depends how far you are willing to venture. some TOCS won't accept relocation but many do, worth keeping an eye on.

Yeovil & Salisbury have both recently advertised trainee driver roles under SWR so you may of missed that as this was only maybe 1 month ago. but vacancy's do pop up. You just have to be patient and persistent.

also with covid 19 and the lockdown to some degree everything is on hold, so things are moving a little slow at present. Avanti are looking for trainee drivers to enter a talent pool as of yesterday(plenty of info on here about that) if wolverhampton or Euston appeal to you give it a shot! I think they allow relocation but im not 100% on that. and if it doesn't appeal to you i would apply anyway and you will gain vital experience from the online tests they ask you to sit as part of the initial test even if you don't want the job its a good learning curve.

Last edited:

richfoz84

I’m 35 and passed the interview/ tests 2nd time around this year. I feel I can give the railway 25/30 years service so definitely not too old!
I’m in the talent pool for Northern, at Manchester Piccadilly.
Currently A finance manager at my local Seat dealership; prev selling cars for 4 years, 2 years in Canada working in tourism
Roles, and 7 years in the police comms dept.
You’re never too old or young to make a career change.

Anon87

Thanks to everyone who’s replied, some really good insights. It may have seemed a daft question but all I’ve ever done is logistics so I’m diving into the unknown really! Looking forward to joining the process and whilst I understand it may well be quite a wait, I’m prepared for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.