• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train driver's children 'in cab'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From BBC News
A train driver who allegedly let his two young children ride in his cab is being investigated.

Dennis Barnes, 37, was reported to have taken his daughters to work with him at a freight yard in Plymouth, Devon.

His company, freight operator English, Welsh and Scottish Railway (EWS), described his alleged behaviour as "totally unacceptable".

It is understood that Mr Barnes's train was travelling at low speed in a freight yard and not on the main line.

'Appropriate action'

Reports that the children were "driving" the locomotive are said to be incorrect.

An EWS spokesman said: "What is clear is there were children in the cab and that is totally unacceptable behaviour by an employee.

"We will take appropriate action once the investigation is complete."

Mr Barnes is still employed as a driver pending the outcome of the inquiry, but the spokesman refused to comment on whether he was currently driving trains.

British Transport Police said they were not involved in the investigation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005410254,,00.html

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Coxster said:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005410254,,00.html

I think the Sun have exaggrated it, and I had to laugh at the "orange suit". And as for a 125mph train being on another track, how is that relevant?

On a serious note, I don't often read about REAL (car) joy riders, why? because the sun loves cars and is anti-railway.

But there's no point getting angry at the Sun's bias towards anti-rail stories so here's a bit of fun....

If the Sun hated cars instead of trains, then this is what the equivalent article might look like[1] ;)
The Sun in a parallel universe said:
Roadman lets girls drive
By JOHN COLES

A CAR driver faces the sack for letting his young daughters “drive” his car.

Horrace Boons, 37, is accused of allowing the two youngsters — aged EIGHT and TEN — to joyride with him in the cab of his car engine.

A witness said the kids appeared to be in control of the car as a 70mph sports car thundered close by on another road.

It is claimed that Mr Boons hurriedly pulled down the blinds of his car to avoid the girls being spotted.

The driver is also said to have ridden in the car with an 18-year-old chum — dressed in an orange suit to look like Elton John[2]

Mr Boons is still driving as officials probe the alleged incidents at Plymouth, Devon.

A CAR spokeswoman said: “What is clear is there were children in the car and that is totally unacceptable behaviour by an employee. We will take appropriate action once the investigation is complete"

[1] I'm only kidding, this is only a bit of fun. No serious replies please ;)

[2]
elt_orange_suit.jpg
;)

JonathonAG

what a load of rubbish, WOW, 2 small children in a drivers cab. Yes, it is unnacceptable, but it aint worth the newspapers going like the SUN has. I;m sure plenty other drivers have done something like that, and possibly some on some high speed services.

The Sun always exaggerates

Dave A

:lol: The Sun, good for a laugh as always :lol:

Hmm, seems a bit drastic but there you go. If I ever ask for a ride in a cab, now I know why I shouldn't :(

By the way, how the hell did he get those kids in there in the first place, unless he drives the loco from his house to the depot :? :lol: :roll:

Simming

would it be possible for the discussion to be dropped?, cause apprently dennis is "up **** creek.." and it would be respectly if people weren't disscussing it behind his back, he could do with the support from neds, if you get me.

Its easy to get in to Tavi Yard, where they are on about. We've Driven in there before now, get some wagon pictures for re-serch, the gates are always wide open.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, it's a non-event.

"Hello, the Sun here"
"I've got 2 stories for you. One is someone got a cab ride in a train, the other is a lad who nicked a car and joy rided it around town and killed himself. Which you you want?"
"I said we're the Sun, it should be obvious!"

Sprog

Established Member
Ok, topic switch..the SUN is the worst newspaper...i really dont see its purpose..

I have to deliver about 20 of these papers in the mornings, and i cant believe the amount of cr*p that the have for so-called 'headlines'.

The London Bombings - all very well and good, but a headline about some woman having a boob-job! wtf :? is that really what people want to read about in the morning. It also suprises me how many SUNs i deliver to elderly people. Part of my morning round covers a caul-de-sack full of retirement bungallows...

EVERY door i deliver to in that street takes a SUN each day. No wonder pensioners and the elderly think the world is in such a state, and are scared to go out, with the way the SUN reports things. Its absolutly ridiculas. :x :x

With all of the cr*p that the sun has thrown at the railways over the years, i think i mite establish an anti-SUN campaign one of these days.......or boycott them by not delivering my papers! : :lol: ;) :roll:

Dave A

In all honesty, I read The Sun :shock: Well what do you expect I'm from North London! :roll: ;)

I like it because it shows the lighter side of news and its got the best sports coverage around. And the best thing of all, no, not page 3 you dirty sods :P , Its good for a laugh! But I only buy it on Mondays, Fridays & Saturdays

The Evening 5tandard is a brilliant paper, especially for major world news because of its publishing times, which I buy every day :mrgreen:

Lesjordans

for gods sake who cares if there are people in the cabs its hardly gonna kill anyone! would you report someone for being in the cab. i know i wouldnt

richa2002

Established Member
Surely if you sign some sort of contract saying that the railways are not responsible for any injury that may occur during a cabride, they're safe ? If the railways are that paranoid about someone hijacking the train, why don't they hire a 'guard' at the person who's getting the cabride's expense.

Lesjordans

i thought of that too, for example if i was in the cab and the train crashed and i badly hurt myself, would i sue the railway?, hell no!

jdjonnay

First off, please don't support the press by posting their links around, and don't go blabbing this to absolutely everyone you know. Den's a nice guy and he's really worried about this.

Secondly, do you see why its important not to boast about how great you are because you got in a train cab, now? I've said it before, but if people keep going on about getting cab rides and posting cab shots, you're going to get yourselves and the kind dvrs into trouble.

Jon

Tom B

Established Member
What a load of cr@p. When there are people driving like they are on the roads why are they bothered about people gettign cabrides?

andrewmay

The biggest reason that train companies don't want other people in the cab is because they're so scared of being sued. Although people here probably wouldn't sue the railways for something that was their own fault, alot of people would. I also agree with not going on about cab rides as this could cause problems for drivers who have kindly allowed someone to ride in the cab.

Cheers,
Andrew

Guinness

Established Member
I doubt its the Sueing involved - Its more of the Fines imposed from HSE etc.

The Snap

Established Member
Lucky kids - get to go in a cab, blah! :x :D I can't see what's wrong with it to be honest, if they weren't messing about, and the driver was only travelling at low speed, in a freight yard, what harm can they do? ;)

clagmonster

Established Member
They haven't been trained in safety while in the yard, they could distract the driver, a multitude of things. Injuries can still happen at low speeds in a freight yard, although I do believe tat the drivers intentions were probably honourable.

AlexS

Established Member
Guys, end of story now. Bottom line is this:

It's in breach of the drivers contract and the national rules of operation.

EOS. Full stop. Nothing more to talk about.

Tom B

Established Member
Indeed it was not condonable Alex, but I think the anger was more directed at the Sun for makig the whole thing public. Such matters are usuall dealy with in-house with no need to make a fuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.