Train evacuated at Sheffield

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by syorksdeano, 18 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syorksdeano

syorksdeano Member

Cross Country unit 220016 was evacuated due to fire alarms going off on the train.

Looks like something has blown near the exhaust as you couldn't see a thing as it was entering Sheffield with the amount of smoke. I was on a train at Sheffield station and thought a steam train had come in at first.

It left platform 6 on its own accord but with smoke billowing out of the exhaust. Would it be safe to run back to depot (where I am assuming its going) like that? I have a pic but not sure how to insert it using the mobile version of the site.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. BestWestern

BestWestern Established Member

If it's smoke coming out of the exhaust itself then it'll be the failure of an engine or one of it's components, and pretty safe to move. Was it white smoke? That could indicate something like a turbo failure, for example. Obviously if the unit was actually 'on fire' as such then the fire service would have been called to make it safe prior to onward movement.

4. syorksdeano

syorksdeano Member

It was defiantly white smoke and fire brigade not called, but the amount of smoke it was kicking out you would have thought that they would have dragged itm

Fire brigade wasn't called

5. BestWestern

BestWestern Established Member

Likely to be the turbo or somesuch then. I had one go on a (nearly new!) bus once, and it throws out an impressive blanket of pretty white smoke! Very Christmassy :)

6. Schnellzug

Schnellzug Established Member

Surely the obvious thing would be to shut down that engine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.