• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train evacuated at Sheffield

Status
Not open for further replies.

syorksdeano

Cross Country unit 220016 was evacuated due to fire alarms going off on the train.

Looks like something has blown near the exhaust as you couldn't see a thing as it was entering Sheffield with the amount of smoke. I was on a train at Sheffield station and thought a steam train had come in at first.

It left platform 6 on its own accord but with smoke billowing out of the exhaust. Would it be safe to run back to depot (where I am assuming its going) like that? I have a pic but not sure how to insert it using the mobile version of the site.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BestWestern

Established Member
If it's smoke coming out of the exhaust itself then it'll be the failure of an engine or one of it's components, and pretty safe to move. Was it white smoke? That could indicate something like a turbo failure, for example. Obviously if the unit was actually 'on fire' as such then the fire service would have been called to make it safe prior to onward movement.

syorksdeano

If it's smoke coming out of the exhaust itself then it'll be the failure of an engine or one of it's components, and pretty safe to move. Was it white smoke? That could indicate something like a turbo failure, for example. Obviously if the unit was actually 'on fire' as such then the fire service would have been called to make it safe prior to onward movement.

It was defiantly white smoke and fire brigade not called, but the amount of smoke it was kicking out you would have thought that they would have dragged itm

Fire brigade wasn't called

BestWestern

Established Member
Likely to be the turbo or somesuch then. I had one go on a (nearly new!) bus once, and it throws out an impressive blanket of pretty white smoke! Very Christmassy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.