• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train fire at Sevenoaks 14/09/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class455

Established Member
I have just seen reports from Thameslink's twitter feed that there is a train on fire at Sevenoaks. Any more info as to what unit involved? Hoping nobody was harmed too.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Nothing to do with the class of train. There was litter caught in the shoe gear, which started to burn. It was removed safely by the driver, with the power switched off.

For once, this cannot be attributed to the train being 700 stock (though one or two other faults and failures today can be).

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
To be honest the use "fire on a train" a lot to give a dramatic picture. We had on recently at old street. Sorted by driver in about 15 mins. The twitter feed implied it was a major incident. Maybe should have use "problem under investigation" rather than "train on fire"

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Nothing to do with the class of train. There was litter caught in the shoe gear, which started to burn. It was removed safely by the driver, with the power switched off.

For once, this cannot be attributed to the train being 700 stock (though one or two other faults and failures today can be).

That happened to me years ago on a slammer at Twickenham with quite dramatic results and me putting the bar down.Stopped the smoke,though.<D

tsr

Established Member
To be honest the use "fire on a train" a lot to give a dramatic picture. We had on recently at old street. Sorted by driver in about 15 mins. The twitter feed implied it was a major incident. Maybe should have use "problem under investigation" rather than "train on fire"

"Litter on the track interfering with train power supply equipment" would be perfectly valid and sufficiently descriptive for those wishing to know more. Probably what I'd use in a manual announcement. Sadly I doubt it's in the automatic CIS phrases!

No need to even mention fires or train faults.

As an aside, I could be sure there have been multiple such incidents in the Moorgate / Old St area over the last couple of months, not just one!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Not unknown for things like plastic bags getting caught in the shoegear , an arc striking on the con rail ramp, and a very minor fire resulting...been around since 3d rail was around...

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Not unknown for things like plastic bags getting caught in the shoegear , an arc striking on the con rail ramp, and a very minor fire resulting...been around since 3d rail was around...

Small fires used to be fairly common around Waterloo and Clapham Junction. I guess that the oil would drip onto discarded paper which would be ignited by arcs from electric stock, and it would smoulder away and occasionally flare up a bit. I saw this quite a few times back in the 1970s and 1980s when commuting to and from Waterloo. A couple of times, I saw somebody extinguish a fire by pouring water from a pail onto it. I've not seen any such fires for quite some time now; is this because there are no regular services at Waterloo using diesel locos?

Status
Not open for further replies.