• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train fire between Retford and Doncaster (30/08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint66

Affected routes
Grand Central between London Kings Cross and Sunderland / Bradford Interchange

Hull Trains between London Kings Cross and Hull

Virgin Trains East Coast between London Kings Cross and Leeds / Edinburgh

Details
A fire on a freight train between Retford and Doncaster means trains cannot run between these stations. This is expected to continue until 18:00.

You can follow this incident on Twitter using #Doncaster

If you experience a delay in completing your journey because of this disruption, you may be entitled to compensation

To check your journey, please use our online journey planner

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.c...isruption-id=CDFC52AD22624D6C858ABBBB91D1887B

Any one with more details? Must be quite an extensive fire.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red Dragon

I'm on the 1405 Kings Cross to Leeds train and we were stopped at Biggleswade for 5 mins, because of the fire.
Now proceeding again, 10 mins late.

Later
Now stuck in Peterborough and the overhead wires are down between Peterborough and Grantham - I guess it's in a double section.
We await further announcements!

Last edited:

Master29

Established Member
Looking at Railcam Peterborough and 5 class 91`s stationary there. Oh dear.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
A Peterboro to Doncaster engineers train is the culprit, reportedly now moved to Doncaster.

Red Dragon

I've been waiting at Wakefield Westate for a train to Leeds for nearly 45 minutes.

The overhead wires are now down North of Peterborough.

Most Down platforms are now full at PBO with queuing N/B trains, and I notice the up Chieftain is stationary at Stoke Junction, not looking very hopeful.

Railcard is showing queues either side of the problem.

It's just been announced that all tickets will be valid tomorrow if we wish to travel back to Kings X.

The prognosis is not looking good ! !
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A Peterboro to Doncaster engineers train is the culprit, reportedly now moved to Doncaster.

Unfortunately the wires are down now, so nothing is moving.

1650 update - 3 down trains have gone North and The Chieftain has come through so the single line working is up and running.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I've been waiting at Wakefield Westate for a train to Leeds for nearly 45 minutes.

Are the locals affected too? Would've thought the Sheffields and XCs would be fine even if the Doncasters aren't - and I'd be surprised if the Doncasters are affected.

Red Dragon

A Thunderbird has now been sent to move the train which is trapped under the wires.
Virgin East Coast onboard staff are very good. Free coffee, water, and snacks being dispensed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As far as I am aware, its a problem with 1S18 rather than the wires being down.

Thanks.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Lineside fire near Drayton Park earlier too. Must have been minor as our train passed through as normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.