• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train guard, conductor or manager in Newcastle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TuftyM

Does anyone know if any of the companies will be taking on in Newcastle in the near future? I am an experienced guard in South Wales and am looking to relocate to my home area. The sad fact is I completed on the purchase of a house in the North East just before the corona virus hit. I had hoped to have moved up by late summer last year so had budgeted for bills at both addresses for this time, but as the covid situation drags on it is hitting me financially now. I would be willing to work for any of the TOCs working out of Newcastle.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

2L70

On Moderation
East Coast Trains still have a few vacancies available, they're on the First group website.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Nothing from TPE for a while. We are currently at full allocation, York may have some positions, I believe CrossCountry are currently advertising for Leeds

craigybagel

Established Member
East Coast Trains still have a few vacancies available, they're on the First group website.
It would appear East Coast are planning on running their services as DOO. Not much call fit qualified guards there.

TuftyM

Thanks for the replies so far. I checked the East Coast line but they are only running about 5 services each way starting 2022, and if they are DOO then as said above they will have no interest in me. Cross country would be great but unfortunately both Leeds and York are over 100 miles from my future address. I did see a position for Birmingham on their site last week, and am hoping they will soon be advertising in other areas. Anyway, thanks again.

Ceat0908

It would appear East Coast are planning on running their services as DOO. Not much call fit qualified guards there.
DCO it was said in another thread, according to someone who attended a drivers interview. Very little info out there however they were recruiting for a customer ambassador manager recently. Could be the name for hosts.

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
From what I can gather it will be "DCO" with a safety critical "guard" who doesnt dispatch the train, presumably because dispatch at somewhere like Newcastle is going to be far cheaper to do using one person and on board cameras than having to have a guard and dispatcher to do it.

More towards the GA Rural and Intercity way of operating than GTR.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Maybe another upmarket name similar to onboard supervisor used by southern, OR onboard manager used by Southeastern, on the Hs1 javelin service, which is also DCO, so maybe the role on east coast ablight with a different name etc, ie more customer service facing/orientated named role will be the case. However what would be interesting to see is for this role is what safety requirements and responsibilities ? they might have in case off a emergency, and what similarities and comparisons with the role off onboard manager on south eastern hs1 compare together?.

KJ83

Then why are they recruiting an ambassador instructor if they aren't planning on having any?

This forum has been a great source of info over the years, sadly full of gossip and speculation too. Its not DOO that's definite

craigybagel

Established Member
Then why are they recruiting an ambassador instructor if they aren't planning on having any?

This forum has been a great source of info over the years, sadly full of gossip and speculation too. Its not DOO that's definite
According to other posters they've told drivers at interview that they're planning on running DCO, which as far as the rulebook is concerned is DOO, just by another name in a (failed) attempt to appear less toxic. They've been recruiting actively for drivers but not for guards - and those driver advertisements have emphasised the customer facing nature of that role a lot more than normal.

They may not be planning on going DOO, but they're certainly giving that appearance, so I stand by my post.

KJ83

They have just started advertising for instructors, so im guessing the ambassadors will come next. They don't start till Oct so planty of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.