• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train hits cow, 6.5 hour delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A Virgin Voyager heading south hit a cow in the Banbury area yesterday evening.

I can't find much information about it but all passengers are OK but were delayed by approx 6.5 hours

Rob (known as 'One Man Gang' who some of us on this forum have met) was on the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave A

Not again :o

Those bloody cows, can't they keep them in the fields. It can't be that hard can it :?

I'm glad everyone was OK :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
London Tube said:
Those bloody cows, can't they keep them in the fields. It can't be that hard can it :?
I suppose the issue is whether or not it can be justified to increase the strength of fences to ensure they don't get on the tracks, or not.

Considering the huge cost of dealing with such incidents, and also safety implications, it may well be worth the expense.

Dave A

Fencing can't compare with the costs of a 6.5 hour delay along with damage that may have been done to the train and the threat of legal action or compensation payments.

Does fencing really cost that much? :lol: I don't think so :x :roll:

bunnahabhain

Established Member
London Tube said:
Fencing can't compare with the costs of a 6.5 hour delay along with damage that may have been done to the train and the threat of legal action or compensation payments.

Does fencing really cost that much? :lol: I don't think so :x :roll:

Yes it does cost quite a bit, there are loads of different types of Fences, from simple wooden pallisade fencing which is quite cheap, and is prone to being blown over, to the type of Fence that Network Rail has installed over vast distances of the network (The Metal Security Style fence with the prongs on the top that are likely to hurt a man where it hurts).

You then have the Installation Cost, transportation cost, etc etc, on the side of a track where trains travel at 125mph is going to cost quite a bit as the people may need to undergo a Personal Trackside Safety course and examination which costs quite a bit of money.

Guinness

Established Member
I think Farmers should also take responsablity for their Cattle. They lose their Cows, TOCs lose money and people get angry.

richa2002

Established Member
Those NR metal security bars are unsitely! They've even been fitted up Shap. Fair enough to fit the fencing round the towns but is it really warrnated for somewhere like Beattock ?

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
well at least we know what the cows think of voyagers!
glad all were ok!

Harold

thats stupid, the farmers should keep an eye on cows that are near railway lines, releaved to hear that everyone is OK though, that was the farmers own stupid mistake

HBA135

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Not always that simple. The farm is probably quite large meaning that the farmer can't be watching all of the farm all of the time. Also, what's to say that the fence wasn't damaged by vandals? Improving all farm fences to make them 'cow proof' would cost a lot of money and take a hell of a lot of time etc etc.

And in many cases, the farm was there first ;)

Guinness

Established Member
Ah the beep reported that the Air Conditioning was working. If it wasn't, no doubt similar sort of publicity to GNER would be written...

OTS

The train hit the cow 8 minutes north of Oxford.
From what I can gather from info given to passengers, the collision damaged the air system, so that the brakes could not be released.
Finally a northbound voyager was terminated at Oxford and sent empty to meet the stranded train and the passengers transferred.
The first train to reach Oxford was the 1820 arrival at Oxford, which arrived at 2338.
The passengers from the stranded train reached Oxford at 0032, some seven and a quarter hour delay!
As compensation, Rob has has his entire return trip refunded, plus two free return tickets for use anywhere on the VT network - looks like a trip to Aberdeen sometime soon then!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
OTS said:
... looks like a trip to Aberdeen sometime soon then!
From Penzance, I take it? ;)

(Or Newquay might be better, on a Summer Saturday, changing at Newcastle... ;) )

joeholmes

Well, i say its too fun, I went from Liverpool to Reading for a VT full on day, Got the Voyager from Reading to Crewe and the Pendo to Liverpool....

Way Back, Delayed Major time, Pendo from Liverpool to Birmingham New Street 40 mins delayed..... then got a Voyager to Reading this was a Voyager which had been at the depot all day. They had to use it and take all the people from plymouth of there train because the air con broke and put them on this other train which i was on (at the buffet at the time). Then i got sandwhiched in it was so busy i was siting in the middle bit of the train were the connection bettewn carrages are with two other people standing.....

The train, was delayed (waiting for the plymouth train, it smelt, it was slow ( Running the yellows behind a stopper) and it was very unconfortable moving about in the middle!!

*rant over*

Pictures are avaible from this link!

http://joe1854.fotopic.net/c624851.html

Status
Not open for further replies.