• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train I saw the other day

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReverendFozz

Was in Seaham the other day and saw an all yellow train, looked like an HST possibly, I recall seeing it in the past but cant remember what its purpose is

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DXMachina

Google is surprisingly good at train details as it happens, if you get any more odd sightings - if you had done a web search for 'yellow HST' you would have found it.

ReverendFozz

I actually think it would be this....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clagmonsterrail/7348855010/in/photostream
DBSO, Mk2 test vehicles and 37682

The train worked an out-and-back trip along the Durham Coast over two evenings (Out 3Q20, back 3Q03) stabling at Heaton T&RSMD in between.

Hope that helps :)

No, it wasnt that train in your flickr picture mate, it was definitely a Yellow HST, it passed the place where my mam works(Ryhope) around 12-12:30, I did try and get a picture of it, but by the time phone camera sorted itself out, it was gone...

What exactly does the Measurement Train Measure?

Hydro

Established Member
What exactly does the Measurement Train Measure?

Track geometry, non-contact OLE measurements, six foot gauging, experimental Plain Line Pattern Recognition (automated visual inspection), video footage, probably a few more bits but I'm tired...

That 3Q20 is an ultrasonic train, which inspects the integrity of the rail structure for any defects like cracks, splits, squats, internal defects invisible to the naked eye...

sprinterguy

Established Member
No, it wasnt that train in your flickr picture mate, it was definitely a Yellow HST, it passed the place where my mam works(Ryhope) around 12-12:30, I did try and get a picture of it, but by the time phone camera sorted itself out, it was gone...
Yep, you are most certainly correct, the New Measurement Train HST has a booked "as required" path up the Durham Coast on a Saturday that passes through Sunderland at about 12:15 northbound which it uses periodically.

This will be the particular working that you saw, captured by a friend of mine:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/northeast_rail_photos/7362960448/in/photostream/

All in all, it's been an interesting time in the last week or so for test trains on the Durham Coast, what with 37682 turning up a couple of days before.

ntg

I saw it through Potters Bar yesterday at about 8pm, second time I'm seen it around that area in two months. Gets around a fair bit!

Boothby97

Established Member
I saw it through Potters Bar yesterday at about 8pm, second time I'm seen it around that area in two months. Gets around a fair bit!

Well, it reaches Plymouth, Glasgow and London Kings Cross, Paddington, Euston and St Pancras reguarly so it does get out a bit.
Thanks, Sam

34D

Established Member

Every fortnight, on a monday, through PBR I believe.

Boothby97

Established Member
Every fortnight, on a monday, through PBR I believe.

Should be, when it goes from Heaton to Ferme Park (I think).
Although last Tuesday I saw the NMT on the York avodier (presumably a different day due to the Bank Holiday weekend)

Thanks, Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.