• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Incident at Bingley

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernchris

Established Member
Whilst travelling from Bradford to Keighley this afternoon the train came to a stop just outside Shipley. After around 5 minutes we were informed by the conductor that there was a problem with the overhead power lines and shortly afterwards all power was off throughout the train. Further updates from the traincrew stated there was a train on fire at Bingley and we would likely be stuck for a considerable amount of time. Northern's JourneyCheck page was showing numerous delays and cancellations but seemed unsure as to the cause as some were due to a train fault and others due to overhead wire problems - unless there were 2 separate incidents. Here is the article from the T&A - complete with a retro pic

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co....d_after_fire_in_passenger_carriage/?ref=var_0

A passenger train and Bingley railway station were evacuated after a driver noticed smoke coming from a rail car after pulling to a halt.

It is believed the fire was caused by an electrical fault and caused only minor damage to the train, but it had a significant impact on services, with Northern Rail warning passengers of delays of up to 60 minutes as a result of the breakdown.

Firefighters were called to the drama at around 4.30 pm and found the train driver had already evacuated passengers and the rest of the station after smoke was spotted.

They isolated the power supply to overhead cables for both directions of track before investigating the incident, which appeared to have been caused by electrics on the train 'shorting' and catching fire.

The resulting damage was minor but rail officials told fire crews the train would have to be left in place for some time before it could be recovered, meaning services in and out of the station would be disrupted until mid-evening.
When passing through Bingley there was a 333 in the Leeds bound platform in darkness with people in orange jackets surveying it. The service involved looked to be the 1601 Skipton - Bradford

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Fairly chaotic at Leeds for the evening commute. Stood on platform 17 and things looked eerily quiet for a time.

johntea

Established Member
When problems like these happen the Transdev bus services around the area come in handy :D (Probably more so for people like me with MetroCards rather than train tickets I guess!)

They even have free Wifi on some of the buses now!

Bantamzen

Established Member
When problems like these happen the Transdev bus services around the area come in handy :D (Probably more so for people like me with MetroCards rather than train tickets I guess!)

They would be even better if they had power sockets as I'm sure some people would need to recharge the phones at least a couple of times whilst a 760 tries to crawl from Leeds through Shipley & onto Keighley at peak times... ;)

Wouldn't the bus company accept train tickets in emergencies such as this

talltim

Established Member
Why should they unless there was some compensation mechanism?

BantamMenace

333012 was hauled through shipley's platform 2 towards leeds by 333002 around half six. What I can't work out is why it went through platform 2 and not one of it failed in Bingley's leeds bound platform

northernchris

Established Member

It would be good if Northern had an agreement with local bus operators to accept rail tickets on reasonable routes during disruption as it could get people on their way quicker than waiting for replacement buses. It would also save the hassle of people contacting Customer Services claiming back bus fares, and stop the Twitter brigade from demanding their taxi fare is refunded immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.