• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train leaving with door wide open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steddenm

Currently on a train from Paddington and as it left we got about 50yds up the platform whilst the on board PA system was counting up for some reason and then came to an emergency stop.

The automated announcement then said "Door fault - vehicle delta" as platform staff were running to the train.

Took about 10 minutes before we were allowed to leave again (and have caught up time).

How did the door interlock not kick in and not allow the train to actually leave the platform? It's a HST if anybody is wondering.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Currently on a train from Paddington and as it left we got about 50yds up the platform whilst the on board PA system was counting up for some reason and then came to an emergency stop.

The automated announcement then said "Door fault - vehicle delta" as platform staff were running to the train.

Took about 10 minutes before we were allowed to leave again (and have caught up time).

How did the door interlock not kick in and not allow the train to actually leave the platform? It's a HST if anybody is wondering.

HSTs don't have modern interlock systems. They were fitted with central door locking in BR days, so provided the doors are shut correctly it shouldn't be possible to open them on the move.

However, it is perfectly possible to take power and release the brakes with the doors open on an HST.

dk1

Veteran Member
HSTs only have CDL so it's not an uncommon incident. Usually just on the first catch.

74A

HSTs don't have modern interlock systems. They were fitted with central door locking in BR days, so provided the doors are shut correctly it shouldn't be possible to open them on the move.

However, it is perfectly possible to take power and release the brakes with the doors open on an HST.

HST don't have any interlock system

TheEdge

Established Member
Do the modified Chiltern Mk3s, and come to think of it, Mk4s, have interlock with the brakes?

Scotrail84

Established Member
Do the modified Chiltern Mk3s, and come to think of it, Mk4s, have interlock with the brakes?

MK4's definitely have interlock except on the in swinging brake van guards door (DVT) and the cab doors.

BestWestern

Established Member
The counting over the PA is an auto test function, it allows staff to walk through the train and check that announcements can be heard in all carriages. However it can be activated by the buzzer being used for Driver to Guard comms. There is no auto announcement facility for specifying door faults, or any system to detect them, that would have been a good old 'yuman being.

First1

So it didn’t exactly leave with a door wide open, just on the catch. Which is a fairly normal thing with slam door stock.

Steddenm

According to the guard it was open fully as the platform staff noticed on leaving. Somebody was trying to talk to the guard as he was dispatching. Seeing as the train got diverted via here there and everywhere it was still on time at Bristol.

The door announcement didn't sound human. Was in the same voice as the can the guard contact the driver one but sounded very matter of fact

father_jack

Observed door on catch 1027 Paddington Penzance. Unfortunate and shouldn't have occurred but not a huge drama except for form filling.

Parallel

Established Member
I’ve seen a FGW 150/2 start to depart a station with a set of passenger doors still open, a few years ago. Thankfully the vibrations from the engine when the train started to move caused them to jiggle shut after a few seconds!

First1

How open where those doors, fully open? The traction interlock won’t let you get brake release with doors open.

SPADTrap

Established Member
I know of two Greater Anglia 379s which not only got interlock with an entire set of doors fully open but it achieved 80mph before being stopped. So it can and does happen albeit very rare.

TheEdge

Established Member
How open where those doors, fully open? The traction interlock won’t let you get brake release with doors open.

It will on Mk3 sets, there is no interlock between the doors and brakes

hexagon789

Veteran Member
HST don't have any interlock system

Other than those being fitted. But my post did state:
HSTs don't have modern interlock systems.

But do have Central Locking:
They were fitted with central door locking

Which means that:
provided the doors are shut correctly it shouldn't be possible to open them on the move.

Of course the CDL relies wholly on the doors being properly closed.

First1

I know of two Greater Anglia 379s which not only got interlock with an entire set of doors fully open but it achieved 80mph before being stopped. So it can and does happen albeit very rare.

Wow thanks for sharing, never heard of anything like that.

I think they were questioning the previous comment regarding the 150/2?

Yes this was regarding the 150. GWR MK3 slam door stock doesn’t have any interlocking systems.

tsr

Established Member

There have definitely been 377s which have achieved interlock with the local door fully open, indeed in one case the failure repeated itself after two attempts to get it working properly!

I was on a 158 about 20 years ago from Manchester to Blackpool when the same thing happened. I was sat at the front of the train behind the drivers cab-fold down seats, The train started up and came to a stop at the end of platform 5 in Victoria, The door had closed but didn't lock-platform staff were pulling them shut. The train came to a halt again just before Farnworth tunnel, The driver and a fellow he had in his cab locked the doors once again. No doubt the train was taken out of service at Blackpool.

Muzer

Established Member
I also recall an issue (perhaps in Ireland?) of a multiple unit where the coupler failed to connect properly, but just the right connections were made that the system thought the coupling was fine. It then managed to leave with doors open, as the interlock was only applying to the front unit.

Tractor2018

There have definitely been 377s which have achieved interlock with the local door fully open, indeed in one case the failure repeated itself after two attempts to get it working properly!

Seconded. 156 with a door fully open.

Parallel

Established Member
I can only say what I saw - The doors were fully open and the train started to pull away!

Do 150s have interlock? Maybe the example above wasn't working - It was the rear set of passenger doors on the second carriage. The guard was at the rear crew door by the back cab and didn't realise!

I've seen a passenger before pull the doors open from the inside and jump down to the track before at a local door station.

philthetube

Established Member
I can only say what I saw - The doors were fully open and the train started to pull away!

Do 150s have interlock? Maybe the example above wasn't working - It was the rear set of passenger doors on the second carriage. The guard was at the rear crew door by the back cab and didn't realise!

I've seen a passenger before pull the doors open from the inside and jump down to the track before at a local door station.
I would expect the train to be immediately taken pout of service and thoroughly checked over at the depot, certainly the way things work on the underground after any alleged door irregularity.

I would expect the train to be immediately taken pout of service and thoroughly checked over at the depot, certainly the way things work on the underground after any alleged door irregularity.

They're just locked out of use and have a full inspection when next on depot (or i imagine they could at a platform with suitably trained staff)

philthetube

Established Member
This surprises me, the fault could be down to the interlock on that door or a fault somewhere else on the train, if so it could happen again,

Llama

Established Member
They are most certainly not just 'left til next on depot', doors open in traffic on passenger stock are serious faults and if staff do their jobs right then they will be dealt with correctly at the time - train stopped immediately, passengers removed from affected vehicle, door identified and locked out of use, other doors checked, details supplied to the signaller such as incident vehicle number, leading vehicle number, door ID, position of TIS in leading cab (if multiple unit), whether anyone could have fallen from the train; then the stock will be removed from service as per TOC contingency plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.