• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train liveries: When Paint + Rail = Epic Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Top work - you've dug up some corkers there. I saw the WMPTE 'Canary' 312 and Visit Scotland 'Mexican Bean' 104 in the flesh (as it were) and I liked them for their boldness.

Mind you, I also saw (and used) the Pilko Mk1 rake - that was wrong on so many levels...

No-one has mentioned the Police 37 and 47, nor 47803's yellow-and-splash-of-red as an Infrastructure livery.

In terms of mis-spelling, a dark recess of my mind thinks that I've seen a photo in the late '80s or early 90's, of the ScotRail branding as 'SoctRail'. Can anyone corroborate that?

Keep 'em coming, top stuff so far!

starrymarkb

Established Member
Okay, so some linked examples, some of which already talked about: -

IIRC here was also a vile "turd brown" West Midlands PTE DMU iirc...

Helvellyn

Established Member
Yep, the London & South East sector of British Rail initially adopted the "Jaffa Cake" orange and brown livery in the early eighties, prior to the launch of Network South East.
I preferred that to the NSE livery...
I always thought it odd that the Class 309 and 421 units that gained Jaffa Cake colours quickly lost them in favour of NSE, yet I think the majority of the CEP fleet ended up being painted. I wonder if BR had a lot of the paint already purchased, and it was decided to use it up on the fleet in one area (Kent)?

I also understand that there were Outer and Inner suburban versions of the livery planned, based around blues and greens, but that it never made the light of day.

Now, back to topic. Some of these people might like, and were fairly widespread, but it comes back to does it suit all stock?: -

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I always thought it odd that the Class 309 and 421 units that gained Jaffa Cake colours quickly lost them in favour of NSE, yet I think the majority of the CEP fleet ended up being painted. I wonder if BR had a lot of the paint already purchased, and it was decided to use it up on the fleet in one area (Kent)?

Didn't the Jaffacake livery coincide with the CEP refurbishment programme when they gained hopper windows, revised interior layout, reconditioned bogies etc? If so then the fleet was probably done during the refurbishment and would not have been due for repainting for some time afterwards.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Hybrid or transitional liveries are often a recipe for disaster... When FTPE took over the franchise and announced the order of the 185s, rather than repaint the 158s they simply added vinyls over the top of the NorthernSpirit 'Transpennine Express' livery (which wasn't the prettiest anyway!):

4255078160_374f2fb3ba_z.jpg

causton

Established Member
Hybrid or transitional liveries are often a recipe for disaster... When FTPE took over the franchise and announced the order of the 185s, rather than repaint the 158s they simply added vinyls over the top of the NorthernSpirit 'Transpennine Express' livery (which wasn't the prettiest anyway!):

I think that's one of the ugliest I have seen on this thread!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Didn't the Jaffacake livery coincide with the CEP refurbishment programme when they gained hopper windows, revised interior layout, reconditioned bogies etc? If so then the fleet was probably done during the refurbishment and would not have been due for repainting for some time afterwards.

I've seen pics of refurbed CEPs with hopper windows in blue grey livery, so I'm guessing it came in some time in the mid 80‘s (which does fit with my childhood recollection).

Muzer

Established Member

(image removed)
eeeeeeeew, that's horrific. You win this thread IMHO ;)

gordonthemoron

Established Member
about 9 years ago I got a Northern train from Leeds to Blackpool which had a weird (and tatty looking) blue livery with what I think was a huge gold star ontop. What was that about?

BestWestern

Established Member
about 9 years ago I got a Northern train from Leeds to Blackpool which had a weird (and tatty looking) blue livery with what I think was a huge gold star ontop. What was that about?

That'd be First North Western, I think that went on 150s and 142s. Not nice. As for the Northern Spirit and TPE schemes, I rather liked them, but not the cheap and tatty blue vinyl First stuck over the top, as above. That one got even worse when they sent the units to FGW who didn't even bother to slap another one over the Transpennine bit, causing some confusion at times!

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Well I dont care what any of you say -m all these liveries are wonderful comapred to the boring (especially for photography) BR Blue of the 1970s. I loved going to Immingham just to see the two-tone green Class 47s.

sprinterguy

Established Member
That'd be First North Western, I think that went on 150s and 142s.
The North West Trains dark blue and gold star livery (Which was perpetuated by First after they took over the franchise) was also applied to their small fleet of 158s, which at the time that gordonthemoron refers to were finding their way across the Pennines working for both Transpennine Express (Which used two) and Northern: In the latter case on the York and Leeds to Blackpool runs, so it is probably one of these that he remembers. I really rather liked the North West Trains livery when it was in good nick. Quite classy, I thought.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
...the NorthernSpirit 'Transpennine Express' livery (which wasn't the prettiest anyway!):
Speak for yourself ;): In my opinion, under privatisation the only other regional TOC livery that has come close to the high standard of the Northern Spirit identity was the original Nat Ex "Scotrail" livery. Mind you, I entirely agree that the blue vinyls applied by First TPE completely butchered the look and looked absolutely terrible.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That'd be First North Western, I think that went on 150s and 142s. Not nice. As for the Northern Spirit and TPE schemes, I rather liked them, but not the cheap and tatty blue vinyl First stuck over the top, as above. That one got even worse when they sent the units to FGW who didn't even bother to slap another one over the Transpennine bit, causing some confusion at times!

The North Western Trains 'gold star' livery was also applied to 153s, 158s, 323s and even a couple of 322s (for the aborted London services). It rather suited the 158s in my opinion, but was less than brilliant on the riveted sides of 142s and 153s. Thankfully the 101s/305s round Manchester weren't subjected to it!

The green non-TPE version of Northern Spirit was nice on the 156s and even made the 142s look not-terrible, but it was never applied to anything else.

Also, I can't quite decide if this 309 in 'Manchester Airport' livery is brilliant or hideous... thoughts?
3320202988_459fe38c88_z.jpg

Royston Vasey

Established Member

Then bastardised at least twice more to this http://www.flickr.com/photos/camperdown/6395383033/

A small point I've wanted to share for a while - the NR logo on the yellow 57s. Should it have taken up the whole side of the loco? or at least been a bit bigger?

A0wen

On Moderation
IIRC here was also a vile "turd brown" West Midlands PTE DMU iirc...

Are you sure it's not the SYPTE one which Helvellyn had posted a link to?

I remember seeing that thing turn up at Hitchin - somehow it had ended up on the Hitchin - Huntingdon service. Time doesn't make it any better.

I agree with the posters who've said they liked the 'One' livery - I always thought that looked OK - the brand name was the problem there.

Another one I never really liked was MMLs teal and orange on HSTs - for some reason it looked fine on the 170s but wrong on the HSTs - the later Blue / Silver they used was much better.

And for transitional liveries, the NXEC white band on the GNER blue looked pretty awful - that GNER livery looked superb with the red band and gold lettering and the interim NX used just looked naff.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member

And lets not forget what they did to the sole remaining Regional Railways 158.

JB25

I really liked the old BR Blue... The 456s looked a lot better in that Livery than they do in the Southern Green

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I really liked the old BR Blue... The 456s looked a lot better in that Livery than they do in the Southern Green

Eh? Weren't the 456s all delivered in NSE livery? I don't recall ever seeing one in blue or blue and grey?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
MML Teal and orange was definately one of my favourite privatisation liveries.

As for the choice between BR blue or Southern Region green, I‘d have to go for green.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I thought the 455's arrived in blue-grey ? (they certainly wouldn't have turned up in Southern Green !) 405's perhaps ? (aka SUB's).
I presumed that the "BR blue" reference was to the blue & grey scheme. And I also assume that the reference to "Southern green" is with regard to the current TOC livery.

RyanB

Surely the top "prize" has to go to National Express for the (mercifully short-lived) "one" branding for the first "Greater Anglia" franchise back in 2004.

For those who'd forgotten, here's 315833 resplendent in "one" vinyls at Liverpool Street.

It looks like the just got people to shout out random colours when designing that livery and cared little as to whether or not they looked any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.