• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Manager Chiltern Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmery

Hello all.

Today Chiltern have advertised a post for Train Manager at various locations.

It's a role I am very interested in and was hoping that someone from Chiltern could let me know what the shifts were like for a Chiltern Train Manager.

Secondly, does anybody know when the job is likely to start? I'm unable to leave my current job for several months. I was thinking that if the job didn't start for 6 months or so I might still apply.

Thanks..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JohnChuchu

I WILL NOT APPLY WITH THEM AGAIN AFTER MY EXPERIENCE, VERY BIASED AGAINST MINORITIES...

Dear John,

Thank you for your application for the Train Manager position.

Your application form has been successful and will be progressed to
the next stage of the recruitment process. We will be in touch with
you soon with the details inviting you to an assessment centre and
interview.

I would like to thank you for the interest you have shown in this
post.

Yours sincerely
Chiltern Recruitment Team
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
THEN FOLLOWED BY THIS AFTER DISCOVERING WHO I WAS.....

Dear John,

Due to technical problems the notification sent yesterday at approx.
16.20 was incorrect. The email sent out today is correct,
We sincerely apologize for any confusion this has caused.

Yours sincerely
FINALLY THIS ...IN 2 TODAYS..

Dear John

Thank you for your application in connection with the Train Manager
position.

Unfortunately, on this occasion there were other applicants who more
closely matched our short-listing criteria. I therefore regret to
advise you that after careful consideration we have decided not to
proceed further with your application.

We would like to thank you for the interest you have shown in this
post.

Yours sincerely

WCMLaddict

Sorry but I have to ask, who are you?

Anything to back up that ridiculous claim about bias or is it just you that sees discrimination everywhere?

WCMLaddict

Ridiculous is your claim that a company is biased against minorities.
What have you got to back it up?

WCMLaddict

If you ever get a chance to spend some time in railway mess rooms, you will see that ethnic, religious and sexual minorities are well represented.

Apologies to the OP for taking your thread a bit astray.

JohnChuchu

If you ever get a chance to spend some time in railway mess rooms, you will see that ethnic, religious and sexual minorities are well represented.

Apologies to the OP for taking your thread a bit astray.
We are talking of Chiltern not railway in general

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I WILL NOT APPLY WITH THEM AGAIN AFTER MY EXPERIENCE, VERY BIASED AGAINST MINORITIES...

Your posting contains no evidence that this is the case. You were not successful, and sadly were sent an email saying you were before one saying you were not, which is an unfortunate error but says nothing about the reason you were not selected.

It is not appropriate to assume racism where there is no evidence of it. Unless, of course, you have some evidence, in which case you may like to post it?
Ridiculous is what the company did

Incompetent, perhaps, but there is no evidence whatsoever that it is due to your presumed status as a minority of some kind. How do you know that that error was not made with everyone who was declined? It probably was.

ComUtoR

Established Member
How did they "find out" ? Was there a video interview or was you asked to tick a box after receiving your application, processing it, and then sending out a generic reply.

JohnChuchu

Your posting contains no evidence that this is the case. You were not successful, and sadly were sent an email saying you were before one saying you were not, which is an unfortunate error but says nothing about the reason you were not selected.

It is not appropriate to assume racism where there is no evidence of it. Unless, of course, you have some evidence, in which case you may like to post it?

Incompetent, perhaps, but there is no evidence whatsoever that it is due to your presumed status as a minority of some kind. How do you know that that error was not made with everyone who was declined? It probably was.
There are minorities whose race is in the majority
How did they "find out" ? Was there a video interview or was you asked to tick a box after receiving your application, processing it, and then sending out a generic reply.

I know what I am saying

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Hello all.

Today Chiltern have advertised a post for Train Manager at various locations.

It's a role I am very interested in and was hoping that someone from Chiltern could let me know what the shifts were like for a Chiltern Train Manager.

Secondly, does anybody know when the job is likely to start? I'm unable to leave my current job for several months. I was thinking that if the job didn't start for 6 months or so I might still apply.

Thanks..

A Train Manager is to all intents and purposes a passenger guard. At Chiltern they are based at Stourbridge Junction, Birmingham Moor Street and Banbury. Primary duties are taking part in the safe running of trains, especially dispatch of trains. Also customer service, checking tickets, answering questions (etc).

Shifts depend on depot but if trains are running then broadly speaking Train Managers are going to be working. It's basically 5am - 1am with a mixture of early (booking on at start of service), late (booking off at end of service) and middle (the bit inbetween) shifts. Shift lengths vary but they can go from about six hours at the short end of things to nine hours at the long end. Weekends and bank holidays are part of the working week.

I might be wrong but I think all depots sign all types of traction so you'll be working on 165s, 168s, 172s and Mark 3 coaching stock (hauled by a locomotive). Aylesbury depot work the Class 121 'bubble' car but their job title isn't Train Manager. Most of the work will be between Banbury and Birmingham, Stratford or Stourbridge as Chiltern services are mostly DOO south of Banbury, however you work to/from London and Oxford Parkway on Locomotive hauled services and on DMU's when operational needs require it.

I know JohnChuchu has tried to derail the thread for some reason but I can assure you that there isn't any discrimination at Chiltern. We've got a very healthy mixture of all ages, colours, religions, genders and sexual orientations on staff.

edit :-

Should have added that I've got no idea when the jobs start. I'd just say apply anyway, you can worry about things like start dates if you make it through the application process. Good luck.

Last edited:

whoosh

Established Member
John ChuChu.

It's very common to be 'messed about' by TOC's HR departments when applying for a job.

At my current TOC, I applied for a vacancy at 'Depot A' as a qualified driver. Had an interview and got told over the phone I had got the job. Then I was phoned and told the vacancy was withdrawn.

A couple of years went by and I applied for 'Depot B', had to go for another interview, was phoned again a few days later and got told I had the job. Then I was emailed and told I hadn't. Then a couple of weeks later I was phoned and told they did have a job to offer me after all, and a date for a medical was arranged.
When I finally started in the job, 'Depot A' had 26 vacant lines on it's roster and had been short staffed the entire time.

Don't ask me what any of that was all about, but it ended up working out well for me with hindsight.

It is common for TOCs to change their plans and decide, "Oh we'll leave the vacancy and just run it on overtime", or recruit someone already qualified, or pass over someone qualified as they'd have to have training anyway and the vacancy may as well be filled with a trainee as there's lots of trainees anyway and it would be better logistically to fit in wth that training plan.

Trying to get any job on the railway can often be infuriating. There are all sorts of races on the railway, and I've never known recruitment to be hostile to a race, or 'have to fill quotas' either.

Last edited:

BTU

There are minorities whose race is in the majority

I know what I am saying

I am sorry to say that I think your are being paranoid how did they find out who you are ? And who are you ? And what do you mean by that comment ? I have worked in various places and there is an excellent mix of creed , colour , race and religion in the railway. I find your comments offensive and quite frankly you strike me as the kind of person that I would not like to share a mess room with.lucky Chiltern for not employing you.

JohnChuchu

I am sorry to say that I think your are being paranoid how did they find out who you are ? And who are you ? And what do you mean by that comment ? I have worked in various places and there is an excellent mix of creed , colour , race and religion in the railway. I find your comments offensive and quite frankly you strike me as the kind of person that I would not like to share a mess room with.lucky Chiltern for not employing you.

I am now with another TOC, we do meet.
John ChuChu.

It's very common to be 'messed about' by TOC's HR departments when applying for a job.

At my current TOC, I applied for a vacancy at 'Depot A' as a qualified driver. Had an interview and got told over the phone I had got the job. Then I was phoned and told the vacancy was withdrawn.

A couple of years went by and I applied for 'Depot B', had to go for another interview, was phoned again a few days later and got told I had the job. Then I was emailed and told I hadn't. Then a couple of weeks later I was phoned and told they did have a job to offer me after all, and a date for a medical was arranged.
When I finally started in the job, 'Depot A' had 26 vacant lines on it's roster and had been short staffed the entire time.

Don't ask me what any of that was all about, but it ended up working out well for me with hindsight.

It is common for TOCs to change their plans and decide, "Oh we'll leave the vacancy and just run it on overtime", or recruit someone already qualified, or pass over someone qualified as they'd have to have training anyway and the vacancy may as well be filled with a trainee as there's lots of trainees anyway and it would be better logistically to fit in wth that training plan.

Trying to get any job on the railway can often be infuriating. There are all sorts of races on the railway, and I've never known recruitment to be hostile to a race, or 'have to fill quotas' either.

I have since moved on,I now understand

Last edited:

simlam

Does anyone know the rough salary for this role the doesn't appear to be one attached to the advert?

Emmery

Hello all.

I would like to thank Cherry Picker for answering the post and giving me a little more information. I think I will follow your advice and apply anyway I guess I have nothing to loose.

I'm sure I read on another post that Chiltern has a five day week instead of a four day one that many others have. Would be great if someone could elaborate on that shift pattern a bit.

I think I can answer one question though from "Simlam". I know a salary was not included in the advertisement but from going a bit of research I think the basic salary is £29,000 ish. Not sure about commission though.

Established Member
Having read this, one of the most interesting of threads - I conclude two things.

1. Knowing the ethnic and diverse mix of staff, I would certainly say there is certainly not much discrimination amongst railway HR units. The problem seems to be a new found 'guilt' in being frightened to recruit white 30-40 males with children for fear of being accused of discrimination. No matter who applies, it should only, ever be the best candidate regardless of boxes ticked.

2. The only issue I have with HR departments is their consistent stupidity in screwing up even the most basic of tasks - for which they never face any inquiry for incompetence. Advertising jobs that never existed, giving jobs to friends, withdrawing vacancies which were only advertised during a suspension/overturned dismissal, blacklists which don't allegedly exist.... - it seems they do not care one bit about the peoples lives they mess up.

G_for_Gnome

Please can anyone advise on Chiltern's rules about how far away from the depot applying for you can live? I know some other TOCs have a "must live within 1 hour rule" or similar.

I was under the impression that the Train Manager roles were mainly internal, as a progression from catering / platform etc etc so working outside the railway but being impressed with Chiltern as an outsider, I'm really quite interested

simlam

Does anyone know what chiltern are like to work for and the general conditions/benefits for working for them?

simlam

I know it does now, when the job was originally posted it showed no salary... The advert has been updated since I originally asked the question

Emmery

I wonder if commission is included in the job. I have seen that other companies offer 10% on tickets sold.

whoosh

Established Member
Not all 'Guards' get commission on ticket sales.
At East Midlands Trains, 'Train Managers' on the ex-Midland Mainline services do not get any commission, but 'Senior Conductors' on the ex-Central Trains services do.

simlam

I know it maybe a stupid question but is a guard and a train manager the same for commission purposes

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Yeah. Train Manager is the actual job title for a guard at Chiltern, I was just being lazy with my jargon.

There is a similar grade in the south (Aylesbury) which is more focussed on retail and revenue protection called a CSI. They are basically ticket inspectors who are trained in guards duties to cover the bubble car on the Aylesbury - Risborough branch and the train to Paddington which can't run DOO and they do have occasional shifts where they venture up into the Midlands to keep their competency up in case they are needed to cover the Train Managers work for any reason.

I'm not entirely sure what the Train Manager's commission is but I believe it's 5%. Some trains you'll get nothing on but others can be quite lucrative. The loco hauled trains in the peaks can generate a lot of revenue because the business zone upgrade is generally done on train. You have to see commission payments as a bonus though, don't go buying a new car based on them!

simlam

Amazing thank you for your reply.... I would be looking at Stourbridge or Birmingham I live between the two places although Stourbridge is slightly closer... Do you know where the better place to apply for would be?
Also is the any distance/time restrictions on this post?

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
It's 45 minutes from the depot for drivers, it might be an hour for guards but if you are within range of both SBJ and BMO then you are probably OK. Couldn't say which place is better as it's difficult to quantify. There will be a bit more work where you need to travel as a passenger on LM services if you are at Stourbridge because shifts which start and finish at SBJ on Chiltern services are few and far between due to the nature of the timetable. Moor Street is a bigger depot in terms of staff numbers so there tend to be more vacancies. I'm sure if you make it to interview then it won't really hurt your chances if you say you can go to either.

Status
Not open for further replies.