• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Managers Cross Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Hi All,

Just noticed Cross Country are looking for Train Managers in Manchester :D

Good Luck to those that apply

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hello, does anyone know of what the staff benefits would be for this? Want to encourage my dad to apply and wondering if i could get free/reduced travel to get to and from university in Bath (from Manchester)!
And how much does the "train manager" role differ from a conductor role?!
Cheers,
Dan

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Virtually the same job. 'Train Managers' are on routes previously owned by Virgin (Manchester-Bournemouth, Penzance-Aberdeen, Reading-Newcastle etc) and 'Senior Conductors' are on ex-Central Trains routes (Birmingham to Stansted/Cardiff etc)

It'll be free travel with CrossCountry Trains (possibly ATW as well?) and 75% off with other operators.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Virtually the same job. 'Train Managers' are on routes previously owned by Virgin (Manchester-Bournemouth, Penzance-Aberdeen, Reading-Newcastle etc) and 'Senior Conductors' are on ex-Central Trains routes (Birmingham to Stansted/Cardiff etc)

It'll be free travel with CrossCountry Trains (possibly ATW as well?) and 75% off with other operators.

Free travel with Chiltern and Grand Central also.

Ah so yet another daft Virgin Trains name like 'The Shop'. Surprised they didn't call drivers 'forward motion controllers' or something....

Anyway...would the free travel even apply to the employee's children who are over 18? If so that would be rather excellent.:)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Ah so yet another daft Virgin Trains name like 'The Shop'. Surprised they didn't call drivers 'forward motion controllers' or something....

Anyway...would the free travel even apply to the employee's children who are over 18? If so that would be rather excellent.:)

The free Arriva pass would last as long as you're father is an employee. Your Priv would be removed from you once you leave full-time education I think.

Off-topic, but I can see the logic in 'The Shop' - it does sell things you wouldn't associate with a buffet (as is the traditional name), such as batteries, playing cards, pens, magazines...

So under 18s get a Priv pass for any operator? (and get those lovely CHPRV tickets I used to get when under 16 with my grandad who worked for Intercity...) and then children get a free Arriva pass regardless of age/employment/studying etc?
(sorry for all the questions, just trying to get my head round it)

And yes, I take your point on the Shop!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
So under 18s get a Priv pass for any operator? (and get those lovely CHPRV tickets I used to get when under 16 with my grandad who worked for Intercity...) and then children get a free Arriva pass regardless of age/employment/studying etc?
(sorry for all the questions, just trying to get my head round it)

And yes, I take your point on the Shop!

Priv is valid for 75% off all trains nationwide. It lasts until you are 18 OR in full-time education. It is repealed thereafter.

The specific TOC pass (in your case Arriva CrossCountry) will last as long as your father is working for them, regardless I think of what you do. *

* = Until you get a job, on the railway or not. I'm not sure what happens then!

You are correct about Child Priv, maximum £2 fare between anywhere, including Penzance-Wick or Mallaig-Dover! I miss those days :cry:

Brilliant - I shall encourage him to apply! :o
(would allow me to visit home more often than at the end of each term atleast!)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You are correct about Child Priv, maximum £2 fare between anywhere, including Penzance-Wick or Mallaig-Dover! I miss those days :cry:

Was great wasn't it! I was so upset at turning 16 meaning I couldn't get those tickets anymore. The conductors never knew how to do them so we often ended up with 1st class priv or something they'd managed to knock up in a hurry!

FManc

Definetly going to give this a shot!
I've got nearly one years experience at another TOC so that might help.

GadgetMan

Free travel on XC, Arriva, Chiltern and LOROL

FManc

Seems like the advertisement was taken down early.
I'm pretty sure the closing date was Weds 2nd May....maybe I'm mistaken.

FManc

Yeah that's what I was thinking.
I've not had a confirmation email from XC though I did request one in the email. I hope they've received my application lol.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Got a rejection for the Bournemouth position today, but still hopeful on the Manchester one, despite it being the same application.

Did the same with Senior Conductor at Leicester and Cambridge last year. Got to the one-on-one interview for LEI - rejected at application for CBG!

oliverj8

I also applied for the Manchester position, am I expected to get a reply whether I'm successful or not?
Thanks

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Got a rejection for the Bournemouth position today, but still hopeful on the Manchester one, despite it being the same application.

Did the same with Senior Conductor at Leicester and Cambridge last year. Got to the one-on-one interview for LEI - rejected at application for CBG!

Your application isn't necessarily a success or failure in terms of its quality against itself. Its how it is compared to other applications and the number of vacancies at a location. If the ratio of applicants to positions available is high then the chances of getting in are lower than they would be at other times/places. This is why people are often successful at one location and not another with the same application.

AndyBoo

cross country have always been good at replying to unsuccessful and successful applicants. but id like to know if anybody has heard about the piccadilly TM recruitment yet?

also, does anybody know about the assessment days cross country hold for train managers? do they have the same structure as most tocs, or something similar to Virgins TM assessments.

most tocs run standard OPC assessment tests, where as a Virgins assessment day had its own structure.

FManc

cross country have always been good at replying to unsuccessful and successful applicants. but id like to know if anybody has heard about the piccadilly TM recruitment yet?

also, does anybody know about the assessment days cross country hold for train managers? do they have the same structure as most tocs, or something similar to Virgins TM assessments.

most tocs run standard OPC assessment tests, where as a Virgins assessment day had its own structure.

I've yet to hear anything, but I'm not holding much hope anyway lol.

Mattmatt

Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!

RE: Man Pic TM recruitment; I'm still waiting. I'm in the position of previously passing the Conductors Assessment with Northern (and awaiting an offer for training) . But i don't know if it will get me an interview or not? I think it might depend on my assessment day score; which I do not know at present. I'd hazard a guess and say that it may be as long 6 - 8 weeks wait to know if you've got the first sift of applications.

AndyBoo

RE: Man Pic TM recruitment; I'm still waiting. I'm in the position of previously passing the Conductors Assessment with Northern (and awaiting an offer for training) . But i don't know if it will get me an interview or not? I think it might depend on my assessment day score; which I do not know at present. I'd hazard a guess and say that it may be as long 6 - 8 weeks wait to know if you've got the first sift of applications.

in job description they said training to start in june. so i expect things to move quickly.

as for assessments im hoping, just like you, that they look at the national database as i used to be a guard and still have a valid pass. but ive applied for the TM job with virgin in the past and their assessment day was different. as cross country was previously virgin im thinking previous pass grades wont matter.

guess we just have to wait and find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.