• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernchris

Established Member
I was wondering how train mileage is recorded, do units have similar recording equipment to cars?

Is there also a way of finding out which fleet clocks up the most mileage ina year?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richieb1971

Established Member
I heard somewhere that some of the HST's have clocked 40 million miles.

I have a feeling the odometer doesn't have that many zero's. So its likely a maintenance log is kept and they just add on the extra miles since the last service.

ash39

Established Member
Diesels are generally done on engine hours rather than mileage I believe. Not sure about electrics.

On Moderation
I heard somewhere that some of the HST's have clocked 40 million miles.
Not sure where you heard that, but it is utter nonsense.

Even just thinking about that briefly it is nonsense: 40 years life means 1 million miles per year. That is 2,739 miles per day (or averaging 114mph 24hrs per day!) without any days stopped for maintenance. An HST's limit between fuelling is around 1,100 miles.

Highest mileage by any of the fleet is around 9.5 million miles.

On Moderation
Diesels are generally done on engine hours rather than mileage I believe. Not sure about electrics.
No, mileage is recorded for all traction. You will find maintenance is done on different components using different measures. For example a power unit is often on engine hours, but bogies will be on mileage.

On Moderation
Rather less I'm afraid. I understand that some examples do in the region of 300,000 miles a year.
The VTEC fleet has the highest mileage diagrams, with the average for a power car being around 260k per year. Obviously a power car which is more reliable and/or has less maintenance downtime might get closer to the 300k figure.

The VTEC trailer car sets will average around 300k per year, though.

northernchris

Established Member
More complex than I realised! Some of the Pendolinos have exceeded 3 million miles, and I suspect the Voyagers have covered similar, so thought the HSTs would have been higher than 9 million

CosherB

Established Member
Not sure where you heard that, but it is utter nonsense.

Even just thinking about that briefly it is nonsense: 40 years life means 1 million miles per year. That is 2,739 miles per day (or averaging 114mph 24hrs per day!) without any days stopped for maintenance. An HST's limit between fuelling is around 1,100 miles.

Highest mileage by any of the fleet is around 9.5 million miles.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story!! ;):D

TwistedMentat

I imagine it's also a lot more common to change out the axles of a locomotive, carriage, or multiple unit; compared to a car, truck, or bus. ;)

I doubt any of these trains have done their total milage on the first set of bogies they were built with.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Would HST power cars be among the highest mileage traction units on Britains railways since the railways began? Going on longevity and the speeds they operate at they must be very near the top.
I imagine that some of the surviving class 86s must have covered a lot of miles in their 50+ years too.

BestWestern

Established Member
I suspect the '40 million' HST figure might relate to the fleet as whole?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I imagine it's also a lot more common to change out the axles of a locomotive, carriage, or multiple unit; compared to a car, truck, or bus. ;)

I doubt any of these trains have done their total milage on the first set of bogies they were built with.

But the bogies will also be continually overhauled, and replaced on other vehicles, so the bogie mileage will approach similar values. The wheels will be scrapped on reaching minimum diameter.

Bromley boy

Established Member
I'd be interested to know the approximate total mileage of various older electric metro fleets in the former southern region.

465s have an onboard mileage recorder and these tend to show figures around the high 800k - 950k mark. Some show a much lower figure around the 120k mark which I assume is because the counter has reset.

This seems a bit low for overall lifetime mileage - assuming (say) 100,000 miles per year (300 miles per day * 340 days allowing maintenance downtime) * 25 years this would put them around 2.5m miles.

Can anyone shed any light on these or similar fleets (455s, for example)?

BMIFlyer

At TPE the class 350 fleet has an odometer in each cab. Records distance travelled by each unit in KM however.

The traction motors are now being put through the 1 million miles overhaul on the TPE class 350's.

richieb1971

Established Member

On Moderation
I heard the 40mil figure on a news report about Britains aging trains. Was about the class 800 taking over the HST's.

this report from the BBC says the HST's have done over 800 million miles in total.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-361...125-is-celebrating-its-40th-year-of-operation

Is the correct number (so power cars have covered 1.6 billion miles between them). The 800 million miles figure was quoted by GWR at the SPM Open Day, and there was a piece on it, and how it was arrived at, in the 125 Group's magazine last year.

TwistedMentat

But the bogies will also be continually overhauled, and replaced on other vehicles, so the bogie mileage will approach similar values. The wheels will be scrapped on reaching minimum diameter.

I was more getting at the power cars probably go through bogies as the bogies get removed for refurbishment. The wonder of interchangeable parts. So a single power car won't always have the same two bogies throughout its life.

Great_Western

The Web Genimi system we use in work calculates the lifetime milliage of each carriage/powercar, not sure how accurate it is but HST's tend to be bettween 4 and 7 million miles which is quite incredible really.

gg1

Established Member
More complex than I realised! Some of the Pendolinos have exceeded 3 million miles, and I suspect the Voyagers have covered similar, so thought the HSTs would have been higher than 9 million

Sounds about right to me, the oldest HSTs have been in service roughly 3 times as long as the oldest Pendolinos so 3 times the mileage is what I'd expect to see.

On Moderation
The Web Genimi system we use in work calculates the lifetime milliage of each carriage/powercar, not sure how accurate it is but HST's tend to be bettween 4 and 7 million miles which is quite incredible really.

I have seen the Gemini numbers for the HST power cars and they are clearly wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.