• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

train numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterH

Ok this may not be photographic related but i got my Locomotive and coaching stock book to day 2006 and im going to type it all in to excel will i ever finnish it so i can put all my up dates ect in it just wondered how others do it do you just sport locos or any thing and how do you keep records

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Gricer

I should think it would take a month of Sundays to type that lot in!
In my younger days we used to just cross them out in our "Ian Allan ABC combined volume", the then equivalent of today's Platform 5 volume. But then of course we didn't have computers in those days anyway!

Frank

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'd try that sort of thing with Access myself (keeping haulage records in one place is difficult without it!), but I don't have it unfortunately. I could set up a basic database in Access for my purposes, but until I get the software...

I personally keep a written record of all haulages (since late 2005), which goes a little like this for a basic trip out for me:

VA51 SAR Kington Bridge Street - HFD (0727, 461)
170104, in 55104, HFD - WFS (0850)
150012, in 57102, WFS - Kidderminster
150008, in 57208, Kidderminster - Droitwich Spa
170108, in 55108, Droitwich Spa - HFD (1731)
Lift home

New bashes are underlined, new numbers have a tick or R! by them. Service times are included by the bash if known, as are route numbers (for buses). Naturally, I use the Platform 5 Locomotives and Coaching Stock book too, except I continue to use my 2005 volume, which is still perfectly fine for my bashing. I now also keep a seperate book listing locomotive and unit classes, which I record all of my mileages/bashes in.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Personally as most people know I don't tend to record numbers.... I just cannot be bothered! WSXFan - i'll PM you soon concerning something in your post :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Or you could MSN me, looks like you're online. If not, I'll be awaiting your PM! Might be Thursday before I reply though!

16CSVT2700

Established Member
For locos I downloaded and am in the process of modifying the WNXX excel document to suit my needs.

I've formatted it and worked out a system of keeping track of the number of locos I've seen per class and overall. If anyone wants to have a look feel free to PM me and I'll send you a copy. :)

I'm also in the process of doing a DMU excel sheet.. it'll have to wait til I return from Chester though :)

rmt

I've got an Access Database that I'm currently updating, I can type in a loco number, and it'll tell me its current allocation and all that stuff. I've also managed to get it to tell me if its currently active or inactive. :D

I use it to keep track of my sightings too.

rmt

WSXFan said:
Very nice! I'll have to try and get the same sort of thing set up as soon as I can!

When I get it finished, I can send a copy across to you. (It would be tomorrow, but I'm in Chester, and then Barrow Hill on Sunday) :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If you could send a copy to me, that would be great. I've been trying to finish a hand-written record for all units with a TOC in an A5 book, it's taking forever just to write in the unit classes, TOC names and numbers!

Sprinter

For me I just use my Loco & Coaching stock book. For locos/units seen I underline them and for units bashed I put a little "r" beside the number on the left hand side. I note the days' sightings in a notepad then transfer them to the book when I get home.

However I would like some computerised database to do this instead, intresting idea here lads...

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Sightings I usually note them in a writing pad, then transfer them to notepad on my laptop, then go through my sighting lists. Long process I know but it works!

I'll finish off formatting the modified WNXX sheet now that I'm back from ChesterVal..

Sprog

Established Member
Copyright breech IIRC..........

Read the 'small print' in the books.......

Mushroom

WSXFan said:
If you could send a copy to me, that would be great. I've been trying to finish a hand-written record for all units with a TOC in an A5 book, it's taking forever just to write in the unit classes, TOC names and numbers!

Sorry ive been unable to get back to you. If you still want a copy PM me ur email address.

S Lowes

50149 said:
Sightings I usually note them in a writing pad, then transfer them to notepad on my laptop, then go through my sighting lists. Long process I know but it works!

I'll finish off formatting the modified WNXX sheet now that I'm back from ChesterVal..
Thats What I Use To :)

Heres a sample of how my modified one works

logbook.jpg

Green = Loco that has been seen
Red = Loco that has not been seen

As you can see mine is simple but thats because i am a simple kind of guy :razz:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That's quite useful. I did just about the same thing once for the HST power cars. Took me hours, the main difference being that I had a Seen column which had Yes or No in it. Gave up doing that as it was done on a remote system with limited access to it.

Mushroom, if you could send me the file you use, that would be great! PM me for the addy.

Status
Not open for further replies.