• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train painter questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GearJammer

Hi all, does anyone know what it takes or how you go about being a train painter/sprayer? Is it a sought after job, is it well paid, is it something anybody can do or does it take training and/or experiance?
When i left school i worked briefly in a car bodyshop doing a small amount of spraying/prep work masking etc but was wondering if this work is usefull if i should consider a career change, repainting cars does'nt interest me, but trains, that i could be interested in.
Is painting trains any harder/easier than cars?

Any feed back or info on the topic in general would be usefull and interesting.

Regards

(sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum, and i'll be posting the same question on WNXX to get a wider audiance/feedback.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

asylumxl

Established Member
Most trains are given a lick of paint at the factory they are produced. Unfortunately, most trains are not repainted, but rather just have vinyls laid over them. If you are interested in designing liveries, I think you'd be better persuing something to do with graphics design or vinyl wraps.

rail-britain

Established Member
Unfortunately, most trains are not repainted, but rather just have vinyls laid over them
Even with vinyls the edges and panels have to be painted, either by hand or spray, before the vinyls are applied
Equally, many TOC / RoSCo now use external providers for this, and they complete the whole process
Sadly the number of such positions will be very low but if working for such a company it won't just be trains you paint!

Status
Not open for further replies.